What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I'll need to paint some of the Astron Explorer pieces before assembly is complete, I realized I needed a firm gameplan for the paint scheme much earlier than usual.

Enlisting the help of my creative better half, the explorer will now look more like the the discarded scheme of my Blackstar Voyager! (gray elements represent silver)

1590447781178.png

Elmers Wood Filler .... Sand.... Repeat.....

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 19
20200525_142537.jpg

Working on modifying my aeropac minimum diameter retainers for my 2.2" MC Tomach and WM Black Hawk 38.

I will be flying aerotech and Loki motors in these rockets, the MC Tomach will be built to fly the Loki 54/2800 case and L1040R motor. The WM Black Hawk will go up on a Loki J1026 or K627R in the 38/1200 csse.

20200525_195423.jpg

I then drilled and taped the mounts for 5/16" - 18 threads and I have forged eyelets with 2 1/2" of 5/16" - 18 threads to go directly into the forward closure or I will be making thread on adaptors for the different motor lengths.

~John

Attachments

• 20200525_141106.jpg
    20200525_141106.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Your son if he is a rocketeer needs to come fly with TriCities Rocketeers, we are about 2.5-3 hours west near Pasco WA, of course that means quarantine crap is allowing us to have launch again....
I wish he was, it would be fun. Right now he's more into hangin with his college buddies and doing what college guys do. We use to know some people that, as we did, homeschooled their kids and we were all part of a national Homeschool speech and debate organization. We spent many weekends together at debate tournaments. They stayed with us one weekend when the tournament was here in Portland. They lived in Tri-Cities and were members of the TriCities Rocketeers. You may know them, they are the Fink family. I used to live in the Hermiston area and I raced stock cars for many years at Tri City Raceway and Umatilla Speedway in the late 70's and early 80's. Tri City Raceway was my favorite by far even though it put me in the hospital once:)

Got started on my Mach 1 BT-50 Black Brant... Love the Badass Rocketry fin guides...

I have the Mach 1 BT-55 Black Brant and bought a set of those fin guides for smaller rockets. I actually like using them better than the jig I made and will order some of the larger sizes too. I'll probably start working on the Black Brandt soon.

Finally got my Fliskits "Night Whisper" done. Here's a few pics of the rocket, details, and the carrying case I made. (There's so many fragile bits on this thing, I'd beat it up before I got to any launch. Therefore, the carrying case, made of 1/8" plywood and reinforcements.)

This was a challenging project, but it turned out beautifully. Cannot stress enough how cool this kit is, and what gems these complex Flis kits are. I'd love to get Jim Flis to sign it!
20200524_112525.jpg20200524_112544.jpg20200524_112554.jpg20200524_112603.jpg

3.5 launches today. I'm really happy with the Flutter-by paint job. Afterwards, went to Lowes and confirmed the only lacquer spray paints they have are black, white, and clear. Need to find a better source in Honolulu...

Hey, good to see you here.

Glad to see you moving away from TIFFs, although JPEGs wouldn't be my choice... do PNGs not work well for those plans?

Also: would you consider getting rid of the cross-hatched page backgrounds? It's really hard on the eyes.

Thanks for keeping that website going!

JPG is the net preference. PNG's are kinda cludgy to work with. When I started, space was at a premium and size was instrumental due to connect speed. Those days are gone. Connections are fast and memory is cheep. I switched to JPG since it's supported by all platforms. Doing away with the GIF thumbnails too.

The blueprint background is like my signature. No, I'm keeping it. I'll try making the white lines grey or lighter blue and see how that goes.

You are welcome.

Hey, good to see you here.

Glad to see you moving away from TIFFs, although JPEGs wouldn't be my choice... do PNGs not work well for those plans?

Also: would you consider getting rid of the cross-hatched page backgrounds? It's really hard on the eyes.

Thanks for keeping that website going!

I changed the grid colors. See if this is better.
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/rp00.htm

Launch report for 5/24 Tripoli Idaho

beautiful day...winds constant at 10mph, 60 deg F. Swan falls launch site, 40K waiver.

028ABCDE-2DB4-4957-9BE9-93722389A019.jpeg
Level 1 recert flight — LOC AIM-120C Amraam 2.6” 3.8 lbs loaded// H123W-10 (Motor backup) // Eggtimer Quantum firing at apogee to blow the 36” rocketman iris // featherweight GPS // Labrat pullpin switch // möbius mini camera

After equipment setup got after it. Assembled H123 motor and packed recovery gear. I had made a deployment bag for this rocket during construction and after putting it in the booster section I started second guessing myself after thinking through the KISS principle one last time....have never used a deployment bag yet in execution phase yet and decided that this wasn’t the right time on a cert flight. Swapped it out for a nomex protector. This swap was done in haste and almost cost me. I had never had a foul with turning the quick link sideways through the slit and that’s how it was packed.

B9782BA4-CE18-43DB-B375-3FBB7A9A9691.jpeg

Boost was straight and weather cocked slightly into the wind as the 120 is slightly overstable at 3.5 calibers. Eggtimer blew the apogee charge right before nose over (I think I will set it to 1 second delay from now on), with the motor backup firing about 1.5 seconds later). Chute fouled right away. Gave me 10 seconds of grief and I had already accepted a failure , but then the rocket gods gave me reprieve and the foul cleared. Decent settled from 55 FPS to 15 and landed safely about 700 feet away in the hard desert. Apogee 1640 feet, a little short of the 1800 predicted...need to tweak sim Cd. Ground video, Inflight video and gps track below.

failure analysis discussion with the prefect afterwards Involved making a knot below the chute quicklime to secure the nomex, and was used in the next flight with good results.

A3EF3F51-BAF4-44CF-8D06-0A15ECDA243B.jpeg

Next up was the MDRM 4 lbs loaded// H148R-10 (motor backup) // Eggtimer Quantum firing at apogee for the main chute // 36” sky angle // Labrat pull pin switch // featherweight GPS

0BCAB2D4-A429-4735-8E23-D3BA9496B1F6.jpeg
Lept off the pad and flew to 1185 ft...within 15 feet of my sim that predicted 1200. Apogee charge fired perfectly and main came out without fail this time by securing nomex below the chute Quicklink. Land safely 800 or so feet away.
DD50F7F7-5AEA-4A06-898A-F1B36B0645DB.jpeg89822FCA-32AA-4260-93CA-3D24F48FA553.jpeg9F8D6444-045E-4B09-BC8A-DE09B76E1134.jpeg
Great day all in all!

took possession of a few I motors from the candy man also....need a bigger ammo can!

5193C60A-D48D-434D-93E8-B928B59582D5.jpeg

Last edited:
3.5 launches today. I'm really happy with the Flutter-by paint job. Afterwards, went to Lowes and confirmed the only lacquer spray paints they have are black, white, and clear. Need to find a better source in Honolulu...

Nice video, if the rocket takes the launch pad with it, does that count as 1.5 launches?

rklapp, the Vortico family launches on a shortened rod, per instructions.
Recommended launch rod length for my Turbo Vortico is only 2 feet.
That's because of the spinning action of the rocket coming off the rod.
I believe that's what happened to yours, not a paint hang up.
BTW, I'm also in Honolulu. Where are you launching? Looks like a school field.
Laters.

rklapp, the Vortico family launches on a shortened rod, per instructions.
Recommended launch rod length for my Turbo Vortico is only 2 feet.
That's because of the spinning action of the rocket coming off the rod.
I believe that's what happened to yours, not a paint hang up.
I dunno, it was propped up to only about 18" from the top of the rod, and then it barely moved an inch on the rod before hanging up. I think a paint hang-up seems more likely. Feeling the slide (or lack thereof) of the Vortico on the rod would tell the tale.

That soda-can blast deflector certainly did not seem to be, you know, actually deflecting any blast. ;)

I would also be concerned about short circuits.
The clips looked awfully close to touching bare aluminum.
Yeah, I had a small strip of duct tape that I used as insulation. It was definitely a McGiver situation.

I try to launch from the Waipahu Park which is a designated park for launching but it's only 100m wide. I had to go swimming in the canal for a rocket the other day. I like to launch from the nearby soccer park but has been closed. I also like to go to Kokohead Shooting Park but that's been closed also. Trying times...

Karen Seeking Rocket has two cameras in it. See over 30 frames from the nose cone video where the booster is seen, all the way to its landing. Enjoy the musical accompaniment: "Dream of A Day" by Density & Time.
#ModelRocket #RillitoRiver #Tucson #Arizona

Finished the nearly “universal” tracking bay for my L3 project. I don’t know which combo I will fly, but I have options. The orange cap on the stick self centers and captures the socket head machine screw holding the tip on.

If there is anything I like more than 3D printing, it is zip ties.

FC9E66E2-AD5C-42D7-9575-88D267C5D638.jpeg F7B6A253-C44B-4ACE-B41F-A3DFCF349C11.jpeg CA87E626-652E-4B62-AA8F-56A9FE17BAB3.jpeg

Today, I waited for an order of Monokote trim and some balsa to be delivered. It's been many weeks now. Delay's apparently due to COVID shipping priorities, which I have been willing to accept. For a while. Sigh. In the meantime, yada yada yada.

Back