What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hobby Lobby opened today and I had to get my fix of New Estes kits.. Sadly the one I wanted to get was not there and the one that caught my eye was the Goblin as I want to build the big one in the future... So Life is all good right now...

On a side note I weighed the Zephyr and it came in at 3 lbs 10.5 oz... Hoping it will be ok at this weight...

Built these. Got a Cluster Duck and a Zephyr coming today. Going to try and get HP 1 certified. Any pointers? How do I go about buying the engine and such?

There's a few good threads on here with pointers for Level 1 certifications. A fairly recent one is here, but there are others and its well worth your time to do a search and read around. Join your local NAR club and/or Tripoli prefecture and find a mentor. They'll be able to help you through the process. General guidance you'll find is to keep it simple and avoid anything that adds failure scenarios or other complications. As far as purchasing your cert motor, after you've modeled your rocket in a simulation tool such as OpenRocket, RockSim, etc. and entered the exact parameters for your built rocket, you will be able to determine an appropriate motor. You're allowed to purchase one motor per cert attempt, provided you supply the requisite documentation and government issued ID.

Hobby Lobby opened today and I had to get my fix of New Estes kits.. Sadly the one I wanted to get was not there and the one that caught my eye was the Goblin as I want to build the big one in the future... So Life is all good right now...

On a side note I weighed the Zephyr and it came in at 3 lbs 10.5 oz... Hoping it will be ok at this weight...
Apply enough force and anything will fly.

Tried my hand at assembling my first eggtimer product... I screwed up on one of the very last steps... lesson learned to carefully read the labels on the small parts.

Cut and polished Amraam. Think that’s a wrap! Ready for Level one next weekend on H123View attachment 416756

WOW! That really looks like a weapon.
I’m using the Lab Rat switches now too, good luck on your L1.
Yesterday we set up camp with the Superstition Spacemodeling Society and flew a bunch of class 1 rockets. Today will be HIGH POWER ROCKETS! We will post up a launch report next week, internet is weak out here.

WOW! That really looks like a weapon.
I’m using the Lab Rat switches now too, good luck on your L1.
Yesterday we set up camp with the Superstition Spacemodeling Society and flew a bunch of class 1 rockets. Today will be HIGH POWER ROCKETS! We will post up a launch report next week, internet is weak out here.

Thanks all...I have an affinity for the AIM-120. Been a life long Air Force fighter maintainer and have seen them fly on my jets for 20 years, so wanted to do it right.

Ready for Level one next weekend on H123
Break a fin!

Bought some more Rust 2X, gloss white (I'm out) and satin red (I can't find). The red was going to be gloss also but The Home Despot was out; after gloss clear coat it won't matter.

The weather is perfect for painting. The family is out and about (using all the proper precautions) so I hope to get home while the sun is still up.

Last edited:
Go Air Force. Me - Sargent E-4. McClellan AFB, Sacramento CA, no longer exist. Actually they burned down, literally burned down, splinter city when I as there in 1985. Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage AK, 1986 ~ 1990.

Go Air Force. Me - Sargent E-4. McClellan AFB, Sacramento CA, no longer exist. Actually they burned down, literally burned down, splinter city when I as there in 1985. Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage AK, 1986 ~ 1990.

2000- current right now. Started out as a crew chief on f-16s. Now have worked f-16, a-10, f-35s and now f15es. Been stationed at Luke, osanx3, kunsan, dm, Aviano, hill and moho. Recently finished a 6 year run as pro super, lead super and now the sq superintendent. About to PCS to Wright patt for my last assignment at at sweet AFMC Functional job. CC748938-6B33-4ACB-A436-A20C2CD8499B.jpeg80068411-830B-44EC-AEEC-23D7BBD5E19F.jpeg4A114470-E932-4914-AD73-6E401D99DB9D.jpgC90EB879-8237-4128-9EEC-57E974F14284.jpeg

Put the final assembly touches on the LaserLOC 2.23 “snuffer” shock cord mount. Didn’t use the 1/4” black nylon webbing that came with the kit. I used a 24” length of 1/4“ tubular kevlar that I had on hand. Now all I need to do is insert the mount inside the body tube 17” forward from the tail end with 54 to 38mm motor mount adapter installed. Should be sufficient for the longest 38mm hardware I have.

Took delivery of my Mach 1 Rocketry Chimera BT60 upgraded fiberglass nosecone and the graphics for my Red Shift 54mm that had been omitted from previous shipped orders.

My observations:

1) Mach 1 nosecone is lighter in weight than the same sized Wildman nosecone (2.7 vs 3.5 oz) The Mach 1 nosecone is slightly longer than the Wildman by 1/2 inch or so. The shoulder diameter of the Wildman NC is smaller than the Mach 1 and would require a Mach 1 coupler to properly fit in a Mach 1 body tube. The Wildman aluminum point is scary sharp while the Mach 1 NC is a bit less so. The LabRat BT60 nose cone bulkhead is a perfect fit for the Mach 1 BT60 NC and there is also a 38mm LabRat nosecone bulkhead that fits the Wildman NC.

AB03E91D-8F7B-4831-AE25-F6BFFEFA6A2B.jpeg

2) The Mach 1 Red Shift graphics are well worth the money.

Last edited:
Definitely forceful, the chutes didn't looked to be hooked to anything right? With that much force staggering the ejection delay times might not be a bad idea.

Definitely forceful, the chutes didn't looked to be hooked to anything right? With that much force staggering the ejection delay times might not be a bad idea.

Yes I just left the chutes loose.

I'm contemplating rolling up crepe paper to make disposable pistons that will shove the chutes out. Since the apogee is only about 300 feet, should be easy to recover the crepe paper.

Latest posts

Back