What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My rocket build pile at the moment:
Build_Pile_Fins.jpg

Can you guess the rockets?

Correct answers so far:

1. Estes Mega Mosquito
2. Estes DOM Orbital Transport Laboratory
3. Estes Interceptor-E
4. Estes Ventris
5. Estes ESAM-58
6. ?
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?

Last edited:
One step closer to getting this project done.. Still need to sand down paint lines and add pin stripes... Then multiple coats of clear.
I’ve had a ton of issues with rattle can this project. Starting to stock up on air brush paint for next big rocket.7BA45BA7-8EF1-44C9-A8BC-C6D034238770.jpeg

Got my NAR and Tripoli memberships renewed. With no launches going on right now, it was easy to let them slip and forget to renew. So I'm glad I got that taken care of.

It has been surprisingly difficult to find time to work on rockets, with the girls being home all the time now.

Find me some of the old 13mm Apogee composites, and I'll see what they could do.

If I fly this way, I think I closest to the ground I could get the Proton to airstart them is ~50-75'. At 10G, its going to get small, quick. Not to mention, I suspect I'll be sent to the far-far-away pad.

I had a fairly decent launch. But it was a bit dampened by those stupid spy cams not working right.

Does anybody know anything about spy cams? I have three, a SQ-11 and two Mini U8s. I can't get any of them to charge or work. It's like some sort of Pauli Effect or weird cosmic prank. I have one that I can't charge up or get to work. The SQ11 only gives me a solid red light when I try to charge it. The Mini U8s only blink blue when I try to charge them up. Please help! .

Worked on my LaserLOC 2.23 today.

So far the glassine on the fin can is stripped, the three fins have had the laser scorch sanded off, the edges rounded over, and been epoxied in place. Tonight I’m going to add a set of very small fillets to the fin/body tube joints. I had to be careful epoxying the fin teeth into the slots to prevent epoxy leaking into the motor tube area so small fillets will provide an additional bond.

The motor mount adapter 54/38 is done but I’m going to ”case harden“ the insert portion with CA and rub it out with fine sandpaper. This treatment has served me well in the past with motor mount adapters and av bay tubing. Not sure that strength is added but it sure does prevent the tubing from binding.

I’m really looking forward to laminating the fin can with 4oz fiberglass. Never done this before on a rocket so I’m flying mostly blind, but I have worked with fiberglass on other hobbies.

At this point I have a rocket / fiberglass question.

Do I lay down my big fillets after the lamination? That’s what the LOC instructions say but I have heard from others that additional “fillet” layers of fiberglass cloth to the fin / body tube joint is the way to go.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: LOC says fillets AFTER laying down fiberglass cloth.

Last edited:
I had a fairly decent launch. But it was a bit dampened by those stupid spy cams not working right.

Does anybody know anything about spy cams? I have three, a SQ-11 and two Mini U8s. I can't get any of them to charge or work. It's like some sort of Pauli Effect or weird cosmic prank. I have one that I can't charge up or get to work. The SQ11 only gives me a solid red light when I try to charge it. The Mini U8s only blink blue when I try to charge them up. Please help! .
I’ve had a couple U8s. One went out of focus after a couple launches. Two more did what you describe. I think the Lipos in them are toast. Discharged too far to recover.

Roughed up the surfaces on the Alien Interceptor. For some pieces, and inside the tube, I used a hacksaw blade; puts on a good rough surface. Also tacking the fins onto the BT60 Speed Demon.IMG_20200507_084627.jpg

Nope, not the Executioner.

Keep trying. I know it's getting difficult and I know that one fin set is going to be too difficult for most even though there is a subtle hint to which rocket they belong. BTW, not only Estes fins are shown.

Nope, not the Executioner.

Keep trying. I know it's getting difficult and I know that one fin set is going to be too difficult for most even though there is a subtle hint to which rocket they belong. BTW, not only Estes fins are shown.
Not to keep throwing things at the wall until something sticks, but my other choice is Maxi Alpha

Back