What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Began yet another Crossfire ISX inspired scratch build. Another 24mm MD to rival all of my previous Crossfires.

Faceted fins, lightweight glassing,.... The Works!!!

It will likely be a "once and done", but it is after all, just 3 FNC, so I'll bid it farewell on an F44-8 or some silliness like that. Oh, I forgot to sim it on an F32!

NEVERMIND!!!!!

I was all excited, til' I remembered that I had used K'Tesh's Crossfire nose cone, which is composed of the dreaded "Phantom Thing-a-madoos".:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here's what it looked like when I removed the nose cone.:

Crossfire Nothing 2002-12-31 001.jpg

Oughta' be good for some yucks in the OR Photo Gallery on the frozen lake though. Those fools never seem to learn to "LOOK OUT!!!"

OHNOES!!!.jpg

So much for that ten minute throwaway build.:(

I'll still build it, but if I have to start an entirely new OR file for it I'm not doing it tonight.

Last edited:
Received 38mm Aeropack set from Madcow today , shipped fast and cheap California to Michigan First class postage was $2.60 and received same week as ordered :)

Working on a dynastar Firefox (just put the first coat of flat black) and working on a TLP bullpup 12c.

Completed my take on the Estes Solar Warrior
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458958582.035633.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458958569.432110.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458958562.286089.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458958562.286089.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 83
White down first. The silver on everything. Then this red. Then cleared it. It's way better looking in person.
Thanks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459007330.967726.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459007337.948810.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrapped it! Holy crap it is unwieldy to work on this thing by myself.

1TsvJmwl.jpg

SdbGeTIl.jpg

jyMn4Kgl.jpg

what is the diameter of that rocket and how much does it weigh ? I used to launch the smaller estes rockets but really want to get into the larger ones . Also the reason I am asking is there is really no one else here to ask and I was curious if you could tell me what kind of engine to use. 700 feet is ok for the first flight after I test the recovery system . but would like to go higher if I can find a good place to launch it . You know, ( A VERY LARGE open field ). Also what do I need to do to get legal ? There were no rules when I was younger . Do I need to stay below a certain altitude before I get my 1st certification ? NO Electronics inside any of my 2 rockets . are the motor mount tubes the same diameter for the F ENGINES AND G AND H ? Please advise . Also any addresses where I can write to for more help and staying legal would be good . in the mean time I am going to keep building,, Thankyou ZEUS

Primed, but then it got too cold. Kansas schizophrenic weather. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1459040533.187763.jpg

Last edited:
SARG launch today. TALL grass ate a few rockets, including my beloved modded Asteroid Hunter. :( I did get ten launches in. Three C's, Two E's an two F's and three G's. I think I also got the only aerial (on board) video of the new field. Working on uploading them all now.
Ari's Boosted Glider on the I140 was awesome!

SARG launch today. TALL grass ate a few rockets, including my beloved modded Asteroid Hunter. :( I did get ten launches in. Three C's, Two E's an two F's and three G's. I think I also got the only aerial (on board) video of the new field. Working on uploading them all now.
Ari's Boosted Glider on the I140 was awesome!

Oh noes! I was admiring that Asteroid Hunter today. ::sad::

That grass is very kind to gliders though.

Ari.

[video=youtube;Rpr4E4-QQJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpr4E4-QQJI[/video]

Oh noes! I was admiring that Asteroid Hunter today. ::sad::

That grass is very kind to gliders though.

Ari.

[video=youtube;Rpr4E4-QQJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpr4E4-QQJI[/video]

And yes, I'll build another, but this one took a long time!
CIMG4336.jpg

I finally launched a High Power Rocket this year. 3" rocket on a K2045 VMAX! The Eggfinder made the recovery very easy.

IMG_20160320_131400314.jpg
IMG_20160320_131348524.jpg

Sanded and sealed my BT-5 Star Trooper re-do body tube.
The digital scale can't tell that I glassed it, as it still weighs 6 grams. The innards are already in there, so that's why it is so heavy. She sure is pretty now, it'll be shame to hide it with primer and paint, as I do love the translucent glass grid pattern.

BT-5 Glassed Tube Star Trooper Redux 2002-12-31 003.jpg

And atleast everything is nice and straight now. The BT that came with this kit, like the fins, was sub-par from what I would normally expect from an Estes kit. Very soft and squishy. The rocket got flown often, as I could shoot it off in my back yard. After about 15 flights on various motors, one of the fins had a crack in the paint near the root edge, and the body tube had some creases in it.
Since I had her opened up I also went ahead and hardened the inside with CA so it won't absorb moisture.

Last edited:
Sorry, but TOP SECRET stuff for now. I'll disclose after more testing...maybe in a few weeks. :)

Fair enough, and best of luck with the project!

Far too many beautiful designs never get built as model rockets do to stability issues.

Final configuration. Sigma 1 nine motor cluster. My cluster opus. She's ready to build. Sigma 1 Final.jpgSigma 1 final Config.jpg

Got a jawstand and some 1010 rail ordered to make a MPR/small HPR launch pad.

Also joined NAR. Checking boxes toward getting ready for my L1 certification.

Last edited:
When it is done, I will have advanced my skillsets and learned new ones, making me a more proficient modeler for the next "Challenge".:):)

Great philosophy. I try to look at it in the same manner. I'm graced with the occasional epiphany that I hope will put another a wrinkle in the grey matter and pushes my abilities to make a better designer and builder.

Finished my weekend of mixing motors. Cut grains and built motors:

3 grain 98
6 grain 75
5 grain 75
4 grain 75
3 grain 75
6 grain 54
4 grain 38

All Albino Assault. First motors made in my new (used) Hobart 20qt. Mixer.

Feeling accomplished.

Back