What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sanded a rocket that has been in primer for close a year. This marked the first building I have done in over 3 months. On a related note, my garage rocket palace is complete once the ac man comes in the morning and does the final connections and charging of the ductless system I put in.

aHMfA5Xl.jpg

Got it put together for TAP inspection at the launch today. Stickershock wrap should arrive this week, hopefully flying next month!

Launched 4 rockets today at the CRMRC monthly launch in St. Albans VT.

Yellow Crayon on a CTI H175 Smokey Sam
P1060528 (Large).JPG

Going Postal on an Estes E9-6
P1060513 (Large).JPG

Mouse 38 on a AT F23 Fast Jack
P1060568 (Large).JPG

Blue Iguana on a CTI I345 White Thunder
P1060552b (Large).jpg

Started dry fitting some parts to make the booster lug ring on the tail cone of my SA-5.
I'm loving all of these transitions, and having to fit them.
I was on a roll, but I had to go out in the cold to soak this transition with CA, and then to sand it to precise dimensions, and now my arthritis and nerve damage in my right hand is bothering me, so I'm taking a coffee break.:caffeine:
Anyhow, dry fitting stuff is fun, and this is a unique arrangement, so I thought I'de share the pics' from my build thread of today's rocketry wise so far.:

SA-5 Schematic.jpg

Gammon More Transitions 2002-12-31 004.jpgGammon More Transitions 2002-12-31 003.jpgGammon More Transitions 2002-12-31 002.jpg

Last edited:
Started dry fitting some parts to make the booster lug ring on the tail cone of my SA-5.
I was on a roll, but I had to go out in the cold to soak this transition with CA, and then to sand it to precise dimensions, and now my arthritis and nerve damage in my right hand is bothering me, so I'm taking a coffee break.:caffeine:
Anyhow, dry fitting stuff is fun, and this is a unique arrangement, so I thought I'de share the pics' from my build thread of today's rocketry wise so far.:

View attachment 285745

View attachment 285742View attachment 285743View attachment 285744

Its coming along nicely Top!

View attachment 285745

View attachment 285742View attachment 285743View attachment 285744

That is looking real clean, Top. This thing is going to be a masters class in paper transitions and multi tube construction till you are done.

That is looking real clean, Top. This thing is going to be a masters class in paper transitions and multi tube construction till you are done.

I concur. To say that I'm duly impressed doesn't even cover it. I really am watching this with great interest!:jaw:

I went rocket launching on Saturday with the Jackson Model Rocket Club. A bit cold and windy but the kids and I managed to launch a bunch of LPRs and I got in a couple of MPR flights as well. This was our first launch of the year and it was great to get out and put some rockets in the air.

I used the Aerotech 24/40 reloadable casing for the first time. Two launches of D9-7W with an Estes Eliminator XL and Top Shot. Both really nice flights. Composite motors are great!

We popped 3 fins off LPR models but no major damage. Sunday we got them repaired and ready to fly again.

Estes Eliminiator XL on D9-7W
129 (Medium).jpg

Estes Argent on an F22-5J
063 (Medium).jpg

Our Madcow Cricket (Swifty XXL) made it's first launch on a F52-11T. It's flying naked because we just put it together the night before. Not much room for recovery gear in this one. I'm going to cut the shoulder of the nosecone down a bit to make more room.
115 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• 128 (Medium).jpg
    128 (Medium).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 073 (Medium).jpg
    073 (Medium).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 137 (Medium).jpg
    137 (Medium).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 73
I concur. To say that I'm duly impressed doesn't even cover it. I really am watching this with great interest!:jaw:

Thanks.

I came up with a clever way to make the booster cones today too. Using the PDF that rocketguy101 made for me, I took the Angle diagram and used it as a template for a balsa triangle that was then sanded to fit inside for reinforcement.
Prior to this, my oblique cones left a lot to be desired when it came to making them the perfect shape.

Oblique Cone Idea 2002-12-31 002.jpgOblique Cone Idea 2002-12-31 007.jpgOblique Cone Idea 2002-12-31 008.jpg

Did the rocket laundry from Sunday's launch.
P1060623 (Large).JPG

Repaired the dent in Molly's Crayon rocket
P1060619 (Large).JPG

Did most of the repair on the broken Blue Iguana nosecone.
P1060631 (Large).JPG

Started the avbay on my Broken Arrow 54.
P1060632 (Large).JPG

Threw some of the screws I use as micro rail buttons for makerbeam into my 13mmxBT-20 Fiberglassed, TTW Fins, AIM-120 AMRAAM, and prepped my LPR pad for launch.
Just waiting for the camera battery to charge, then I'll fly it in the front yard.

Pad Preperation. 2002-12-31 004.jpgRail Launch 13mm AIM-120 2002-12-31 001.jpg

Sorry for the crappy video quality. The Camera is from 2003, and does not even have audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RF6hk0NgDo&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Actually sprayed some paint today. We had snow a couple days ago, and it's been cold and windy. Today was 70 and no wind. It's springtime in Colorado. :)

Got the white paint on my PSII Patriot. Heading on a week-long trip starting tomorrow so that base coat will have lots of time to cure before I start masking for the yellow and red.

Laid down what I thought was the final clear coat on my Madcow f/g 29mm Lil Goblin but of course there was a gnat. The finish came out otherwise very well. Perhaps I'll just leave the gnat there as a warning to future generations of gnats. I AM LEGEND!

Fitted the 38mm motor mount to the body tube of my f/g Lil Goblin ("Plan B") and fitted the the fins to the appropriate slots. Marked each fin and slot so that there should be no mistakes when the epoxy comes into play. It will be be too cool tonight so tomorrow might be a good day for it.

Le sigh... another trip to the local hobby store for a few more motors... just a few I promised!

Finally had enough of the first practice booster made to do some dry fit mock up pictures.
I've got to make four of them eventually, so I want to try out a couple of different Ideas/methods first, to get the best design possible.
Looks cool though.:)

Booster mock-up SA-5 Gmmon 2002-12-31 001.jpgBooster mock-up SA-5 Gmmon 2002-12-31 003.jpgBooster mock-up SA-5 Gmmon 2002-12-31 006.jpg

How much weight (if any) are you going to need for that rocket? Looks a little "butt" heavy...

Nose weight, according to Openrocket, little if any. The model relies on base drag for stability for the most part.
I think my sim is down to 1 oz. of nose weight in the latest revision, and still over 1.5 Calibers with a G40 loaded in OR.

That said, the model is not so large as to make swing testing impossible, so when it is near completion, the last part of the build will be dialing in the nose weight. Might not need any, might need as much as an ounce and a half.

It's not like a Matra R550 or AIM-9 with the forward canard fins, so though it "Looks butt heavy", aerodynamics take care of that in reality.
Aerodynamically speaking, it is nearly a cone.:)

The design has some inherent stability built into it. There have been other models of this basic configuration in the past, and Fliskits still makes a Thunderbird scale model which is similar. This is not virgin territory like my ongoing quest to see a flying TALOS.

Not to mention, those are all just practice parts you see in those pics, save for the tail cone and sustainer body tube.
I need to get my bearings straight on the design/dimensions, and develop the most lightweight methods possible for this build, without sacrificing strength.

Last edited:
I have a yellow rocket , it is 56"tall and quite heavy . 3 lbs 2 oz. anyway can you tell me the reason forthe brass threads ? They are 3 in a triangle .The outside diameter is3.6" or 80.25 mm.

In the photo shown the Inner diameter is 2.14" or 54.36mm . what are the 3inner BRASS THREADS FOR . I HAVE A TALLER ROCKET (85 " ) THAT HAS THE
NORMAL F MOTOR MOUNT . CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS MOTOR MOUNTPLEASE !!!! THANKS , APOGEE DIDN'T EVEN REPLY . THANKYOU , Photo attached .

rocket mount sm.jpg

That's probably for motor retention. Some systems use a retaining plate that is screwed into the threaded inserts in the aft centering ring to keep the motor pinned in. Others just use a screw with a washer on each insert that has enough overhang to retain the thrust ring in three places.

Did you build it? If you bought it already built, the builder may have used that as motor retention. I don't see a regular (Aeropack) retainer on it.

I have a yellow rocket , it is 56"tall and quite heavy . 3 lbs 2 oz. anyway can you tell me the reason forthe brass threads ? They are 3 in a triangle .The outside diameter is3.6" or 80.25 mm.

In the photo shown the Inner diameter is 2.14" or 54.36mm . what are the 3inner BRASS THREADS FOR . I HAVE A TALLER ROCKET (85 " ) THAT HAS THE
NORMAL F MOTOR MOUNT . CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS MOTOR MOUNTPLEASE !!!! THANKS , APOGEE DIDN'T EVEN REPLY . THANKYOU , Photo attached .

Those three inserts are indeed for motor retention, as someone else pointed out most likely a simple screw with a washer large enough to catch the motors rear closure. I use the same "kaplow clip" style retention on most of my MPR and HPR rockets.

L3Build110.jpgL3Build108.jpgLastDayofBuild2.jpgCrayonRocketDay3two.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad I scrolled down further. I was wondering how and with what, you accomplished this. So,I gotta ask, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this as a challenge? Great work. Enjoying watching it evolve.

I came up with a clever way to make the booster cones today too. Using the PDF that rocketguy101 made for me, I took the Angle diagram and used it as a template for a balsa triangle that was then sanded to fit inside for reinforcement.
Prior to this, my oblique cones left a lot to be desired when it came to making them the perfect shape.

View attachment 285843

I'm glad I scrolled down further. I was wondering how and with what, you accomplished this. So,I gotta ask, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this as a challenge? Great work. Enjoying watching it evolve.

Thank You!:)

Challenge? On a scale? Hard to say because it is giving me so much sheer enjoyment.
Compared to other scratch builds or kits however, I guess I could rate it as an 7 or 8, mostly do to "How to attach the boosters to the sustainer".
Thankfully, unlike my ongoing attempt at a TALOS, it has no moving parts, so that is nice, and it is a fairly stable design in the first place.
If you imagine it cutting through through the air, as if in a wind tunnel, it is essentially a cone, and the booster fins and exhaust nozzles generate a healthy dose of base drag. As long as my boosters are all balanced in every aspect it should fly just fine.
I may purchase and build the Fliskits Thunderbird to use as a test platform to see what happens if I add a few grams to one side or the other.
Either way, I'll make sure all my boosters have identical weights and centers of gravity before attaching them to the sustainer.
The next most challenging part, but which is doable, is getting the angles of the fins and wings correct. The fins I have found can be done with the sandwiched fiberglass cloth method that Sunderll posted recently, and I may use paper skins on the wings, but that requires little thought, so I have not made it to that step yet. I'm still most concerned with the attachment points of the boosters.
It may take me a year to complete this build, but that's fine by me. When it is done, I will have advanced my skillsets and learned new ones, making me a more proficient modeler for the next "Challenge".:):)

Did the field checks on the range box and rockets today for the SARG launch on Saturday. 7 rockets, 14 flights planned. Filled out flight cards for all of them. Will load the reloadable casings tomorrow night.
Working on piezo buzzers for the tall grass anticipated. I just hope the coin batteries can power them for an appreciable amount of time.

Back