What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent yesterday at a Tripoli Wisconsin launch with the kids.
Had a great time launching lots of Estes rockets. Launched around 8 B & C motors with my son and daughter. After months and months focused on L2 and L3 mainly, it was quite refreshing to just pack, shoot, pop, and recover some small stuff.
Helped a friend recover his larger rocket, and that was great.
Just being around friends and launching the occasional rocket... Great day.

I joined rocketryforum! Now all I have to do is figure out how to get OpenRocket to open on my computer, build my Estes Ventris, build a new Big Bertha to replace the 2 engined cluster model that literally burned up in a crash, er, deviated liftoff...!
IMG_20160221_105541.jpgIMG_20160221_140942.jpgBIG BERTHA CRASH SITE.jpg

Made a successful L1 flight on an Estes Ventris. H115 metalstorm Darkmatter to an altitude if 2763 feet. Chute deployed at a 400 feet thanks to a jolly logic 'chute release.

Congrats on the L1! How does the Ventris come down drogueless? Does it tumble pretty well or does it come down quickly? I'm a little concerned with my PSII Patriot bash on whether it'll take a semi-ballistic attitude before my chute release lets the chute open. Not really in search of getting a massive zipper when the chute pops.

Took a Dremel cutting wheel to my Madcow Lil Goblin 38mm motor tube and discovered that the internal "clutch" had disintegrated. After all, a 35 year old piece of "rubber macaroni" has a limited life span.

Turns out Amazon sells just about any Dremel parts you might ever want. A pair of replacement pieces will be arriving Sunday. The reviews are always interesting. A couple of reviewers described their homemade replacement parts, i.e. Rubber tubing, heat shrink sleeve, etc.

By the way, I'm cutting the motor tube down to 5.5" to make more room for the recovery gear. I'm already using about half the nose cone, too. At 27 ounces it should really move on a H143SS.

A few years back I called Dremel about my torn "rubber drive tube thing". They sold me them for $1, and shipped free! I bought 3, so my great-great-grandchildren would have repair parts. :)

It begins with a trickle. The first 2016 rocketeers from the local cub scouts. I'm proud of these boys. Six hours of instruction and building to include a written exam and they passed with flying colors. These are the seeds of the next crop. This is why I love doing what I do.
SD18.jpg

I'm also going to spend the afternoon rigging about a dozen nylon parachutes ranging from 9" to 24" in diameter. I'm going to try a couple different "cow hitch" methods to attach the shrouds to the swivel, and since I keep tangling them all the time, I'm going to see how well a rubber band secures them just above the hitches. I've been using whipping twine to tie them off (sailors will know what that is) but a rubber band seems like a simpler solution, and easily removable if I need to untangle stuff!

Put rail buttons and recovery system on my Wildman Saab sport. It'll fly on something at next weekend's Woosh launch ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1457898089.186826.jpg

I finally got around to making some brackets to hang my HP rockets up. I used 1" sections of 1010 rail to slide the buttons on.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1457906231.714664.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1457906254.648672.jpg

I freed up a 6' folding table, 1/2 of my table saw, and about 4 square feet of floor space.

Last edited:
Made a video overview of my wireless static test stand:

[video=youtube;O97WVG27jjM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O97WVG27jjM[/video]

Repaired my Dremel tool with parts from Amazon and used it to cut my 8" long 38mm Madcow motor tube down to 5.5" long. Yee-HAW!

More room for the chute and recovery gear. Hopefully the Chute Release, too.

Injected epoxy for internal fin fillets on my AGM58. Three more fins to do then external fillets.
Prepped my new Blue Iguana for her maiden flight at this coming weekend launch in St. Albans Vermont.

P1060450 (Large).JPG P1060401 (Large).JPG

Last edited:
Added the fins to the Hi-Flier XL. I also constructed a drop-away launch lug as described in Tim Van Milligan's book. It looks neat (especially as I have envisioned when it drops away) and I like the premise, but it seems like it will add a lot of friction as the rocket travels up the launch rod and potentially lowers the launch speed. It definitely sucks the rocket up against the rod. Guess I'll find out.
hi-flier.jpg

Well,here it is. I think I need those dinky rubber bands like you get with dental braces. It's going to take a lot of tension to get a separation once it clears the rod. Wonder if they sell those rubber bands at Walgreens?

HF2.jpgHF1.jpg

Well,here it is. I think I need those dinky rubber bands like you get with dental braces. It's going to take a lot of tension to get a separation once it clears the rod. Wonder if they sell those rubber bands at Walgreens?

View attachment 285097View attachment 285098

I know my wife purchase some that are about the size of braces rubber bands for my youngest daughters hair (she's 14months old and her hair is really fine). She gets them a WalMart iirc.

Did some more work on my L3 project and built a Art Applewhite 13mm Delta Flying Saucer 2.1 and a Art Applewhite 13mm Pyramid 2.0 as practice for a club/school/scout build night (saucers not pictured).

L3Build98.jpgL3Build97.jpg

I started building the tapered shroud sections of the Semroc Mars Lander kit. Wow, those things are a pain to get wrapped and properly fit together on top of the descent stage. This one will definitely be a flyer, maybe the second one will be the pristine display model. :)

• Finished injecting the internal fillets on the AGM58 forward fins with West Systems 105/205/406.
  • Applied Rocketpoxy internal fillets on the aft fins.
  • Glued in the aft centering ring with Rocketpoxy
  • Glued in the Aeropack retainer with JB Weld. Next are the external fillets with Proline 4500
  • Tried again to reach someone by phone at Rocketry Warehouse.

P1060466 (Large).JPG P1060468 (Large).JPG P1060469 (Large).JPG

Well, it works.:) I had to modify it by moving the hooks further aft to insure enough tension to achieve separation. It doesn't "fly off" like I would hope, one half likes to hang on, but hopefully the airflow around the rocket will strip it off....Hopefully. :rolleyes:
HF4.jpgHF3.jpg

I know my wife purchase some that are about the size of braces rubber bands for my youngest daughters hair (she's 14months old and her hair is really fine). She gets them a WalMart iirc.

I found some just like that at Wal-Mart and it turns out they didn't provide enough tension. I ended-up doubling a rubber band and that works. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

We got a taste of Spring weather today, so we had our first backyard session of the season. It was Alice's first time wanting to push the button so that made it pretty fun. Up first was the My Little Pony rocket.

20160316_171918.jpg

20160316_171847.jpg

The decals are on the SR-71 with a final matte sealing and final coat of matt green on the Honest John. Also did a couple external fillets on the MDRM.

SR and HJ.jpg

We got a taste of Spring weather today, so we had our first backyard session of the season. It was Alice's first time wanting to push the button so that made it pretty fun. Up first was the My Little Pony rocket.

So great. There should be a thread just of pics of little kids with their rockets. Impossible not to smile when seeing those!

Back