What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up the Estes Maxi V2. First flight will be on an E16 (cause, ya know, I had to upgrade the motor mount :) ). And yes, the old vacuform fins were a PITA !

Very nice, Sam. The rocket that is. The clutter is giving me heart palpitations.

Oh My! Close your eyes ! Breath into the bag ! Call the medics !!

I didn't consider the effect my picture would have on people whose life and livelihood depends on a clean, organized, and disciplined workspace. And the flat cell phone image just accentuates the chaos. Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, this is an example of what not to do ! :blush:

IMG_0569.jpg

Last edited:
Built the motor mount for the Ventris. Dry-fit all together just to get an idea. My grandson's Crossfire sitting with it.
V1.jpgV2.jpgV3.jpg

And, I answered the siren's call of the clearance sale. 2 Red Max, 1 Hiflier XL, ( a neat rocket) 1 V2....
My wife,will be unimpressed.

Steve

I launched my first sugar rockets as part of a one-day science camp focusing on the chemistry of sugar. These were built bottle rocket-style, but ~1500' for < $1 is pretty impressive. Really making me want to start working on EX stuff.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/embed/drTmmwmTKG8[/video] (Sorry about my daughter's video quality.)

Last edited:
Oh My! Close your eyes ! Breath into the bag ! Call the medics !!

I didn't consider the effect my picture would have on people whose life and livelihood depends on a clean, organized, and disciplined workspace. And the flat cell phone image just accentuates the chaos. Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, this is an example of what not to do ! :blush:

View attachment 282804

I had a panic attack looking at the pic. Lol

Worked with my son to paint his first rocket - the sunward sixfooter rocket. My hand turned a little gold and blue and we have some runs, but you know, who cares! He was so excited to paint his rocket after watching me complete two more, paint my level 1 partially and watching his sister do hers, that it was HIS time. He said, "I don't care if it's cold...today I WANT to paint MY rocket." Now who can argue with that!! :)
WP_20160218_16_56_41_Pro (500x252).jpgWP_20160218_16_58_22_Pro (243x500).jpgWP_20160218_17_08_14_Pro (270x500).jpg

It was actually warm enough to paint here today, but there was a hint of wind. I've built up a lot of stuff this Winter, and I've occasionally dashed out into the cold to spray primer, then back inside. But mostly it's been too nasty out to paint any final color coats.

I've got an Interceptor-E painted Flat Light Aircraft Gray, having decided to do something different than the standard white. I sprayed the nose cone with gloss clear in preparation for decals, then it will get matte clear to return it to its flat finish. The rest of the rocket will get done soon if the weather holds.

Today, after years of rocketry and R/C aircraft in my younger years, and becoming a BAR in the last year, I learned that the rounding and smoothing we do with fin joints, to add strength and reduce interference drag, is apparently pronounced as "fill-it", and not "fillay" (like a piece of fish)...

tmyk.jpg

Worked a bit more on the SR-71. Fins and wings papered, inner wings attached. Going to tackle the paper body skins tomorrow.

SR71.jpg

Can't seem to get this picture to upload right side up.

Last edited:
Glued MMT assembly into Mother Superior (4" Punisher), did the Dremel work with a diamond cutter to widen the fin slots slightly for proper fit. Wrote Wildman about oddly out-of-round nose cone. Machined an 18mm floating piston head with embedded SIP connectors; it came out well. Solar panels passed city inspection and should go live next week - no more electric bill, yay!

Bought a gallon of West System epoxy, 206 hardner, and got 14 oz of MarineRx epoxy free. Priced their composite fabrics and went home without any.

prepped my rockets for QCRS tomorrow
RW scarab on an I600R
Darkstar 2.6" on K740 cstar
2.6" v2 on G80 skid.

Picked up my package with an Estes Little Joe II, a Commanche 3 and a Quinstar in it. Woot!
I forgot what version of my order I placed until I actually got it. I'll build the Quinstar first. It's a fun looking little kit.

Last edited:
So I had tracking on the rockets. I found the tracker- didn't find the scarab. I think I had some unplanned separation. On the plus side, the tracker got reused on the Darkstar. Final altitude was 10900 feet.. And it drifted about 2 miles away.

So I had tracking on the rockets. I found the tracker- didn't find the scarab. I think I had some unplanned separation. On the plus side, the tracker got reused on the Darkstar. Final altitude was 10900 feet.. And it drifted about 2 miles away.

Scarab was found. No 808 camera...

Piddled around in the workshop on a number of different things one of which was a bit of painting (with record highs today):

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1456014570.310364.jpg

Last edited:
Sanding, sanding and more... well.. Sanding! I dread the endless nights of sanding. And to think I enjoyed playing in the sandbox as a child.

Flew rockets with DARS in Frisco Texas. Yeah it was windy (but never over 19 1/2 miles per hour so we were legal :grin: ) But Blessed Lady of Acceleration, short sleeves and a sunburned neck on February 20th !!! :cool: One guy flew the heck out of the JL Chute Release. He made alot of future sales for John Beans today.

Last edited:
Flew rockets with DARS in Frisco Texas. Yeah it was windy (but never over 19 1/2 miles per hour so we were legal :grin: ) But Blessed Lady of Acceleration, sort sleeves and a sunburned neck in February 20th !!! :cool: One guy flew the heck out of the JL Chute Release. He made alot of future sales for John Beans today.

Well NUTS ! It was my first day off since well before Christmas and I figured the winds were too high. I guess they were a bit high for my stuff anyway. So. I stayed home,listened to some oldies and worked on the high drag low altitude cone rocket that Thirsty inspired me to do--I needed a quick build--20160216_102403.jpg--I'll get a build thread out later.

Last edited:
Watching the "Rocketmen" episode on Mythbusters/Discovery channel right now...8:45Pm...Gummy Bear Rocket now - the poop rocket coming up next.
(The rocket with motor made of dog poop actually got 2,900 feet altitude - rebroadcasts at 1:00am).

Last edited:
Well NUTS ! It was my first day off since well before Christmas and I figured the winds were too high. I guess they were a bit high for my stuff anyway. So. I stayed home,listened to some oldies and worked on the high drag low altitude cone rocket that Thirsty inspired me to do--I needed a quick build--View attachment 283015--I'll get a build thread out later.

Nice. I'd like to do a cone rocket like my avatar....where is your motor placement?

Back