What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocketarium Cerberus.

Pretty epic amount of painting to do at this point once it warms up.

View attachment 449077
Nice fin placement. Looks like they grew there..What type of adhesive do you use? This is going to be a nice looking rocket. The engines get friction fit wich is no problem. No room for engine hooks. I was very impressed with their kits.

Attachments

• viking 7 rocketarium.jpg
    viking 7 rocketarium.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 17
Ordered some PCBs for a little rocketry electronics project. Hopefully I'll have more details to share later this year.

Nice fin placement. Looks like they grew there..What type of adhesive do you use? This is going to be a nice looking rocket. The engines get friction fit wich is no problem. No room for engine hooks. I was very impressed with their kits.

I use Aleene's Tacky Glue for LPR's with the technique of putting glue on both surfaces, let it sit for a minute or two, add more glue and stick. It usually bonds enough that you can let go within a few seconds.

For paper-and-wood MPR's, I upgrade to Titebond II for the extra strength and do the same thing. I don't like working with it as much as Tacky Glue though because it's much runnier and less sticky from the outset.

For non-paper-and-wood MPR's and HPR's I use West System 105 and 205. It's really strong, its runniness is an advantage when making nice fillets as it will actually form itself into a smooth fillet and all you have to do is dam the edges of the fillet, and there's a boating shop in Accomack that carries it so I can get it without having to use mail order.

If it's an Estes LJ II don't use a black powder D.
The only recommended motor is a composite E30-4.
It will be underpowered and unstable with anything less.
I know the E30-4 is recommended, but if I can fly the much larger and somewhat heavier Saturn V on a D12-3, why not the LJ II on a 5 foot 3/16 launch rod?

The five foot launch rod certainly makes a difference. I'd sim it all the same. At least a ThrustCurve.org sim. Just to be on the safe side.

I know the E30-4 is recommended, but if I can fly the much larger and somewhat heavier Saturn V on a D12-3, why not the LJ II on a 5 foot 3/16 launch rod?
Estes Little Joe II crash | The Rocketry Forum

The OP says his Saturn V flew great on an E12, so he thought the LJ II would do well on a black powder E.
Not!
Also the D12 is no longer a recommended motor for the last two reissues of the Saturn V.

I've learned recently that it's futile to tell people "Don't do that." So:
  1. Sim the rocket with accurate mass and dimensions; use your sim tool's default Cd unless you have data for this particular rocket.
  2. Check the speed off the rod, with which a five foot rod will certainly help.
  3. Check the altitude at parachute deployment to be sure it's high enough to fully unfurl before hitting the ground.
  4. If those both look safe, think twice anyway, because package motor recommendations and kuririn usually know what they're talking about.

I have an Estes Little Joe 2 and have flown it successfully on the recommended E30-4. DO NOT fly it on anything less than that. It already doesn't go very high on that E30.

I finished my 100th scratch built rocket. I started building at the end of January 2019. 101 already started.
I call it Tuba. It is the first tube fin rocket I've done. It's 44"tall, 2.6" with a 29mm high power mount. The tube fins are 3" body tube. It weights 35 ounces with everything but the motor.

Attachments

• 20210203_171522[186].jpg
    20210203_171522[186].jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210203_171538[185].jpg
    20210203_171538[185].jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 19
I finished my 100th scratch built rocket. I started building at the end of January 2019. 101 already started.
I call it Tuba. It is the first tube fin rocket I've done. It's 44"tall, 2.6" with a 29mm high power mount. The tube fins are 3" body tube. It weights 35 ounces with everything but the motor.
This is a very cool different design. "Tuba" is a unique name and I think it sticks well. I built well over 100 rockets over time. Scratch built a few. 100 scratch built is very impressive that you done. Do you plan to fly on "H" power and higher? At 35 ounces a G motor would push it close to 1000 feet or more. Nice job. ;)

This is a very cool different design. "Tuba" is a unique name and I think it sticks well. I built well over 100 rockets over time. Scratch built a few. 100 scratch built is very impressive that you done. Do you plan to fly on "H" power and higher? At 35 ounces a G motor would push it close to 1000 feet or more. Nice job. ;)
The weight got away from me at the end. I thought I would go with a G 80 but an H115DM would be cool. Or an H195 to 2200' at a club launch. Thank you for the compliment.

I finished putting fins on my Semroc Defender - waiting for them to dry. Also went to LHS and bought some BT20 tubes, 18mm rocket stands and a Mini FatBoy.

Some more work on kit instructions.

Waited for an update on my parts order which according to USPS tracking left Sydney on Jan 31st, then "Your item was processed through a facility in AUSTRALIA on February 4, 2021 at 8:25 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination. "

"A facility in Australia"? Can you be any more vague? :mad:

"A facility in Australia"? Can you be any more vague? :mad:
"A facility."

They could have said "A facility in the north-east corner of the third floor of the building at the north-west corner of the intersection of 54th Street and Lexington Ave. in Manhattan, NY." Better imprecise than inaccurate.

Last edited:
Received my first, and likely last (for now), Badass Rocketry multibay (54mm). It’s a very nice component and I’m pretty happy with it... so why might it be my last for awhile? My 11 year old son went to get the mail with my wife... he walked in the house shouting “dad got some badass rocketry stuff!” and has proceeded to start using the term loosely. “Dad, check out my badass LEGO Saturn V... check out my badass lunar lander!” Which in turn now has my 9 year old also using the phrase and told my wife “Don’t worry mom, it means ‘cool’.”

We don’t use swear words in our family and I can say that my wife is very displeased with their new found vocabulary. She is practical and understands that the kids will be exposed to colorful language by others, but she’s not happy it found it’s way into the house. I have been instructed to find another vendor for future purchases - at least until both kids are teenagers.

On the bright side, I do have a pretty sweet new electronics sled...

Estes Little Joe II crash | The Rocketry Forum

The OP says his Saturn V flew great on an E12, so he thought the LJ II would do well on a black powder E.
Not!
Also the D12 is no longer a recommended motor for the last two reissues of the Saturn V.
The D12-3 as a recommended motor for the early 1/100 scale Saturn V kits was a bad joke. I understand that at the time it was all there was for that size of a rocket but didn’t they experiment and see the disastrous results for themselves? Maybe they were really good at building ‘light’. I don’t know...

Received my first, and likely last (for now), Badass Rocketry multibay (54mm). It’s a very nice component and I’m pretty happy with it... so why might it be my last for awhile? My 11 year old son went to get the mail with my wife... he walked in the house shouting “dad got some badass rocketry stuff!” and has proceeded to start using the term loosely. “Dad, check out my badass LEGO Saturn V... check out my badass lunar lander!” Which in turn now has my 9 year old also using the phrase and told my wife “Don’t worry mom, it means ‘cool’.”
Way to go, Ian...that's badass!! (My kids do that too. Badass!)

EDIT: Negotiated with the PCB manufacturer/assembler for my rocketry electronics project. Progress was made.

I am absolutely, positively, 100% certain that this rocket, which has no recovery system, is safer than 90% of the rockets launched on any weekend.
Lawn dart rocket..jpg
But I've returned to work on this canted fin rocket (attached file), which I stopped work on when I ran into problems.

Attachments

• canted fin rocket.ork
    1.5 KB · Views: 4
I am absolutely, positively, 100% certain that this rocket, which has no recovery system, is safer than 90% of the rockets launched on any weekend.
View attachment 449361
But I've returned to work on this canted fin rocket (attached file), which I stopped work on when I ran into problems.

The claim that a free-falling rocket is going to be safer than 90% of other rockets flying with parachutes is utterly ludicrous. I showed you the math that showed how fast these can come down from a mere 100-200 feet and you are apparently ignoring it.

I see no reason to take any suppositions you have seriously until you are willing to discuss what you might be doing wrong with parachutes.

Received my first, and likely last (for now), Badass Rocketry multibay (54mm)... I have been instructed to find another vendor for future purchases - at least until both kids are teenagers.
What you need is a friend to receive the items, repackage them, and bring or mail them to you.

Look, I get that you're taking precautions, and that your intentions are not quite as dangerous as many here think*, but that statement is somewhere between dead wrong and tin foil hat level wacky.

* And for the record, I do not approve either, even though I concede that your going to do it and that is is 99.9% likely to not get anyone hurt. As compared to 99.99% for the rest. And I'm making those numbers up for illustrative purposes. Where safety is concerned, never round up to 100 or down to zero.

Back