What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot easier to track when they come down. It is fun to fly in the snow.Where about do you fly and what limit of wind speed do you not fly?The Iris is a nice looking rocket.

The Iris seems to be a very stable rocket design, no spin or weathercocking during ascent. Began scratch building a 2.6" version last week - I hope it performs the same way. We are in northern Ontario, Canada. Lots of room to launch in winter, not so much in the summer. Wind speed was a calm 5mph but I would normally fly up to 15 mph. Only downside is recovery has to be quick or you end up with a tube filled with melted snow!

Finished up on a scratch build Sentinel and did the final mass/CG verification. (Yep, my masking/painting skills still needs some work). Moving on to finishing up the Dark Matter Probe later today after dealing with the winter wonderland that took up residence in my driveway.

View attachment 448733
Nice work looks mean !

Getting closer to finishing my 7 motor Job....

View attachment 448846

Got to add nose weight when I get the electronics package into the e-bay.....
Awesome
I catch myself stopping and considering buying this rocket every time I see it
Looking good
interested to hear what you have to say about this when you launch

(Friday, not today) Got 2 kits, and 2 retainers I ordered on black friday. Kits were in stock when I placed the order but not when it came time to pack and ship them. Vendor kept me updated via email every few weeks until they shipped it out.

<new tab → Google → "LOG magnum"> I see that a stock Magnum it's 3×29 mm. What's the seven motor configuration?
From the LOC site:

Standard Magnum Rocket Kit. 80″ tall, 54mmt with 6x29mmt. 34″ Booster with 24″ payload section. 60″ Parachute, 25′ Tubular Nylon with ends sewn.

https://locprecision.com/product/magnum/
Pick "Magnum" and not "Mangnum 3E" which is a 75mm with av-bay

<new tab → Google → "LOG magnum"> I see that a stock Magnum it's 3×29 mm. What's the seven motor configuration?

It has a 54mm in the center, and (6) 29mm's around it. Two of the 29's vent to the top with the center motor, the other four are plugged.

I did have to contact LOC to get this old style version.

Last edited:
Happy to have finished a challenging Bomarc 2.6 scratch build.
Goals: light weight, low cost, G motor capable.
Approx 80 parts. Prime and paint in a few months.
735 grams. 29mm MM

bomarcsnow.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------
bomarc0a.jpg
1/4" mahogany veneer underlay plywood, finished thickness 0.168"
Majority of the ply grains are running perpendicular.
The outer veneer is paper thin on this sheet and running parallel.
Used some wood filler and block-sanded to smooth.

bomarc1.jpg
Balsa strips over and under wing to build the conduit.

bomarc3b.jpg
Sand to fit body contour.

bomarc2.jpg bomarc3.jpg bomarc4.jpg
54mm decorative ramjet pods. Designed to allow small amount of air through.
Make some balsa nose cones using scraps. Cut circles and stacked/glued them.

bomarc5.jpg
After the lower section, motor mount, exhaust baffle and ramjet pods are installed, I set to dry.

bomarc6.jpg
Epoxy the wood Fin/conduit system to completed rocket airframe and install motor retainer.

Boeing IM-99 Bomarc.jpg
Paint and fly in spring with this theme.
Still needs launch lugs installed.

Last edited:
The Iris seems to be a very stable rocket design, no spin or weathercocking during ascent. Began scratch building a 2.6" version last week - I hope it performs the same way. We are in northern Ontario, Canada. Lots of room to launch in winter, not so much in the summer. Wind speed was a calm 5mph but I would normally fly up to 15 mph. Only downside is recovery has to be quick or you end up with a tube filled with melted snow!
The IRIS has always been my favorite rocket. You are right about about the IRIS being stable. I have had a few kits over the years all sizes and they always did well. Its the fin design I think .Your 2.6 version should perform very similar if you scale it. I scratch built 4.0 version a while back and waiting for a G80 motor. Yes, up to 15mph is good for drift. When you say a tube filled with snow, does that mean it landed in deep snow? Summer time is not favorable? It must be fun to have all that space. Good luck with your 2.6 Iris. Like to see it fly.
Happy to have finished a challenging Bomarc 2.6 scratch build.
Goals: light weight, low cost, G motor capable.
Approx 80 parts. Prime and paint in a few months.
735 grams. 29mm MM

View attachment 448900

-------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 448904
1/4" mahogany veneer underlay plywood, finished thickness 0.168"
Majority of the ply grains are running perpendicular.
The outer veneer is paper thin on this sheet and running parallel.
Used some wood filler and block-sanded to smooth.

View attachment 448902
Balsa strips over and under wing to build the conduit.

View attachment 448911
Sand to fit body contour.

View attachment 448905 View attachment 448908 View attachment 448909
54mm decorative ramjet pods. Designed to allow small amount of air through.
Make some balsa nose cones using scraps. Cut circles and stacked/glued them.

View attachment 448912
After the lower section, motor mount, exhaust baffle and ramjet pods are installed, I set to dry.

View attachment 448918
Epoxy the wood Fin/conduit system to completed rocket airframe and install motor retainer.

View attachment 448917
Paint and fly in spring with this theme.
Still needs launch lugs installed.
Congrats on this one. This will be a real head turner. You did an excellent job. What is your predicted altitude?

Nice work looks mean !
That looks darn good to me. Did you use the same instructions from Estes? This is a nice rocket to fly. I had one once. I cant remember if it was 18mm or 24mm. What mount did you do? Where did the parts come from?

The IRIS has always been my favorite rocket. You are right about about the IRIS being stable. I have had a few kits over the years all sizes and they always did well. Its the fin design I think .Your 2.6 version should perform very similar if you scale it. I scratch built 4.0 version a while back and waiting for a G80 motor. Yes, up to 15mph is good for drift. When you say a tube filled with snow, does that mean it landed in deep snow? It must be fun to have all that space. Good luck with your 2.6 Iris. Like to see it fly. I have a pic of my 4.0 , 29mm , 68 inch Iris Scratch built. Next to it is an Estes Iris 18mm.

Attachments

• DSCF4076.JPG
    DSCF4076.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 8
Drew an interwiring diagram for the VTS. There are a lot of modules to connect up and I wanted to have the document so I have it straight in my head for when I start wiring it up. It helps to make sure it doesn't end up looking like spaghetti.

That looks darn good to me. Did you use the same instructions from Estes? This is a nice rocket to fly. I had one once. I cant remember if it was 18mm or 24mm. What mount did you do? Where did the parts come from?
I agree old school Doug did some
Nice work here !!

Attachments

• 53516EA4-6883-4659-8E86-7FDD975FEAB6.png
    53516EA4-6883-4659-8E86-7FDD975FEAB6.png
    383.8 KB · Views: 18
While not an actual kit, I've been working on a Semroc Texas Firefly that I put together via a parts order wit eRockets. This is a very satisfying upscale of the Centuri Firefly, which I'm also working on. The Texas version is nice and solid and one can imagine it being a great cornfield flyer. Yesterday I finished sanding. Today I hope to get the launch lug attached and prime it. Next launch window is February 13, so no need to rush.

Awesome
I catch myself stopping and considering buying this rocket every time I see it
Looking good
interested to hear what you have to say about this when you launch

I hope I'm saying "that's the most dark matter motors I've ever seen go at the same time"

Realistically, I think I am bout 2-3 months from launch. I'd like to fly an I-280 and a pair of H115DM's for a test shot.

Not today, but a couple days ago I ordered the various important parts I still needed for my next build, a Wildman 5" Gizmo.

Should be a fun little build but I think between the Gizmo and my previous Mega Magg, the stubby rocket urge has been satiated for a while.

I hope I'm saying "that's the most dark matter motors I've ever seen go at the same time"

Realistically, I think I am bout 2-3 months from launch. I'd like to fly an I-280 and a pair of H115DM's for a test shot.
That should work for a test shot
If u think of it or have someone else video the launch be great to see
Good luck !!

Thanks. I grabbed the OR file for the original design from K'Tesh's plan thread and then made a few mods. I upped the motor mount to a 24mm, extended it to 3.75" and replaced the motor hook with a retainer. Also replaced the plastic nose cone with a balsa cone. I'm partial to balsa cones as I can add or remove weights (washers) easily in the field if the stability caliber becomes an issue with a given motor. The parts are just standard bulk build parts from either BMS or eRockets.
Sentinel.jpg

Attachments

• Sentinel_FINAL_01-31-21.ork
    3.3 KB · Views: 3
I put some decals on my modified super dx3 XL

Attachments

• 9E3E8032-E059-4C2D-BE5B-91612E63C6B1.jpeg
    9E3E8032-E059-4C2D-BE5B-91612E63C6B1.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 22
  • C4230F8E-65EC-4DDD-A67B-0403AA7F47B9.png
    C4230F8E-65EC-4DDD-A67B-0403AA7F47B9.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 24