What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 437244

Took delivery of a Yihua Rework station to replace my old school low heat Weller soldering iron. It served me well and I built a complete Dynaco stereo system (power amp, pre-amp, and FM tuner) with it about 50 years ago. Also built a few sound effects stomp boxes for my music aspirations and any number of computer hardware projects.

Dad taught me how to solder when I was a teenager and it’s a skill that has served me well over the years. Thanks, Dad!

Amazon for about $92.
I bought a similar unit (same thing different brand name) a few years ago for assembling my Eggstuff, other than having to fix a broken wire in the iron shortly after receiving it it has worked very well ever since.

So how do you fix a broken wire in the soldering iron when the soldering iron is broken? There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza! ;)
...with a soldering iron....
:)

Kinda like having a fist full of 1/2" wrenches or a collection of 10mm sockets.....if 1 tool is good, then 3 of the same tool is better!

Stopped by HL yesterday to see what they had. Picked up a Power Patrol and Generic E2X for $7ea. Built the Generic with basic upgrades and painted the fins and nosecone orange like the old school Challenger 1. Final assembly will be tonight.

Almost finished with my Astron Explorer. Needs a decal next to another new decal. I'll let it dry overnight and finish up the decaling. I found it to be an interesting build. It would have been challenging even if Estes cut the BT slots at the factory. Pre-painting is a good idea. Be prepared to mask or scrape paint. The silver paint looks nice but rubs off easily. I painted using the all coats in < 2 hours plan. Might try the > 48 plan next time. I will try to wax the silver paint after I let it dry for a long time, like a week.

It was challenging gluing the tubes together without making a sticky glue mess. I think the sticky glue mess may be more common than I think. The sticky glue mess got on the pre-painted BT. The cool lines draw you away from the cosmetic flaws.

20201104_150037.jpg

Took delivery of a second small hand plane.

I saw this one in a Josh Finn rocket glider video and using picture search I found it on Amazon.

Great tool for planing down a wing blank to an airfoil profile and much nice than the old Master Airscrew razir plane I used 25 years ago.
@o1d_dude Have a link to the plane?

View attachment 437244

Took delivery of a Yihua Rework station to replace my old school low heat Weller soldering iron. It served me well and I built a complete Dynaco stereo system (power amp, pre-amp, and FM tuner) with it about 50 years ago. Also built a few sound effects stomp boxes for my music aspirations and any number of computer hardware projects.

Dad taught me how to solder when I was a teenager and it’s a skill that has served me well over the years. Thanks, Dad!

Amazon for about $92.
Nice looking unit. Have you ever used a hot air gun for SMDs? I was amazed how well it works and especially how the little buggers self align.

(Yesterday) I ordered a new DATAQ data acquisition system, as my old DI158 does not appear to work in Windows 10. Should arrive today; next, install software, test thrust stand, get ready to head down south this weekend for motor testing.

There was a time, when my pics were correct orientation lol

quick test on the Sprint. One fin already on by eyeball. No jig. Sooooo lol
Gotta cut some shims to size and locate or make? Clamps

Back