What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished painting my 3rd Duel Deployment Rocket. I think this is the best Paint job I've done. I named the rocket Star-Star Roamer.
It's a BT-60 body tube. I'm using an easymini Altimeter. Going to Launch with Aerotech motors

Attachments

• ssroamer.jpg
    ssroamer.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 18
Ordered some stage lighting/truss clamps to attach my rails to the speaker tripod stand.

For those wondering, the Amazon Basics Speaker Stand Tripod central tube is 1.5” and the secondary tube is 1.25”. Those just ”happen” to be standard sizes for clamping stage lighting and other items to stage trusses and such. Rated at 100lbs or so.

The clamps are designed with a wing nut/bolt arrangement on which to hang the lighting or a 1010 rail segment. The bolts are generally replaceable so if you need a longer bolt...

155E9238-E703-4150-B2A9-778806297717.jpeg

Amazon carries them for $5.49 a piece. The central bushing is removable for 2” tubing.

My shipment arrives this weekend.

I’m looking at a stainless steel cake lifter for my exhaust plate...should cost less than $20 again from the Big A.

First go at painting both the Tazz and Little Joe; never done this so mixed results, there again it's all a learning experience!

Decided on a "different" livery for the Tazz. Flue Green is my favourite colour and pays homage to two things; Kawasaki motorcycles, and the League Of Free Worlds spaceships out of Colony Wars: Vengeance (one of my favourite computer games from my teenage years!). Some may find it a bit much but it's my unique stamp on this build :)

Poor LJ's paint looks awful so giving it another coat tomorrow night to see if I can rescue it...

Attachments

• IMG_20200820_200203.jpg
    IMG_20200820_200203.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 19
First go at painting both the Tazz and Little Joe; never done this so mixed results, there again it's all a learning experience!

Decided on a "different" livery for the Tazz. Flue Green is my favourite colour and pays homage to two things; Kawasaki motorcycles, and the League Of Free Worlds spaceships out of Colony Wars: Vengeance (one of my favourite computer games from my teenage years!). Some may find it a bit much but it's my unique stamp on this build :)

Poor LJ's paint looks awful so giving it another coat tomorrow night to see if I can rescue it...
Nice..

Received my 20x20mm by 4’ long launch rail today from Amazon. Well-packed and shipped directly from 8020 in Indiana...no damage!

Gave my SBR L’il Thor a test ride as it’s the only mini-rail button rocket in my fleet at present. In the processI knocked the rear rail-button akimbo and at that point remembered I had not yet slow CA’d the the rail button screw as the instruction said to do. Always something, right?

I normally radius/round over the cut edges of my rails. Aluminum is relatively soft and is easily smoothed over. Another task ahead of me.

Have not been able to get into the shop today due to the bad air quality from the wildfires to the south/west/north of us. Over 2000 lightning strikes have started fires in the coastal mountain ranges and at best there is only one fire with any containment. The remaining fires are showing 0%. Nothing new for California, sadly. When I arrived in California in the early 1960’s, I was soon greeted with a mandatory fire evacuation order and we lived on an island in the San Francisco Bay if you can believe that...surrounded by water on all sides.

At last check, my local air quality was rated just under 200 ppm and I can‘t even go out into the garage due to the smoke. No danger from fire, just unhealthy air. In the followup from the Wu Flu, we all have masks for short term trips outside (mail, packages, etc.).

I took Monday off to mow at the family farm. As I was leaving I thought to myself 'hey, the renter farms wheat'. So I grabbed 4 rockets, my pad and my newly pack rocket motor storage container. 20200820_080716.jpg
When I got there I found 80 acres of open wheat ground to fly in on either side of the driveway and got 8 flights in with the four rockets. After mowing of course. 20200817_175834.jpg
Sorry, this is the only picture I took since it was just me, myself and I at this socially distant field. This was the last one on a C6-5.

Make sure you leave sufficient time before recoating or you’ll just make things worse (depends on your paint brand).
Thanks. If I'm honest it's just car paint from Halfords!
All the same, check the can directions for the full cure time, and many of us like to add to that.

Will you need any sanding of the first coat before the second one goes on?

Back