What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I had to build 2 rockets (oh darn) for the classes, my initial rocket paint theme ideas are: “STEM EAGLE” and “VISION 2020”

I took the final masking off of “STEM EAGLE” today:
B73E3A47-A904-40D1-BDCB-CE59143062E0.jpeg
It’s like unwrapping a present you’ve been hoping is as good in real life as your vision of it has been. AND IT IS!!! 😅

I was thinking about repeating that “feather” scallop pattern on the trailing edges of the fins, but then I realized how much of a pain it would be to get all the masks JUST right and decided I was happy with this one as it is now.

The 2nd rocket is going to sport a black and yellow paint scheme to match the Jr. High school colors (these rockets represent the transition from elementary to jr. high for this class) that one isn’t quite done yet:
A4410967-99F4-4E85-93BA-EFFA3FE3B609.jpeg
Anyone have a good BT-50 sized roll pattern template?

Finished painting Baby Bertha. Did some painting on Big Bertha. Finished external Rocketpoxy fillets and launch lug on Boosted Bertha sustainer. Painted the ass end of Boosted Bertha booster with high temp black paint. Finished building the fins for Super Big Bertha. Selected CDs for building 18mm and 24mm CD Spool Rockets (H&R Block Taxcut CDs - 2008-2011). Lots of building during the pandemic. No flying. :-(

Well put the chute, chute protector, attached the shock cord and put rail buttons back on the Zephyr. Took her outside and snapped a pic.
Now time to join the local club, NAR and wait for a Launch date.
View attachment 415592

ooooh. Ireally like that pattern on the tail end of your Zephyr. I might try something similar on a rocket I have waiting on the paint stand...

Sanded the epoxy dots off the inside of the motor mount area in my LaserLOC 2.23.

I thought I had been pretty careful when adhering the crenelated fins into body tube laser-cut but a tiny amount of epoxy oozed into an area it was not supposed to be. I used a 2” sanding spindle sleeve mounted on a length of 2” dowel to perform the “colonoscopy”. Now the weird “snuffer” cord mount can be pressed into the body tube from the aft into a band of wet epoxy to form a fillet to anchor the cord mount in place. Oh, fun.

Busted out lockdown/quarnatine today to go the hobby shop and found it was packed. Bought some 30 minute BSI epoxy, a new sanding toy, and a package of Evergreen H columns. Walked across the parking lot to the West Marine and picked up some mixing cups and chip brushes for laminating the LaserLOC fins. No lightweight ‘glass cloth in stock in either place, tho.

Gov. Nancy Pelosi’s Nephew has threatened Martial Law if we didn’t adhere to his quarantine edicts. Yeah, sure. Anyway, I got caught in a traffic jam on the way home. Californians basically fart in the governor’s general direction while the National Guard was surfs at the beach.

It felt good to be acting normal. We’ve flattened the curve so I’m done with this BS. Italy is recommending Bill Gates be prosecuted. Their done with it, too.

Installed shear pin plates on MRDM. Finished avionics nose cone bay. Sanded nose cone and sprayed and sanded through three coats of primer. Sanded booster, sanded and sprayed again. In the middle of all of this my spray booth that was made out of a wardrobe moving box collapsed (it has been getting bad as of late). Sorted that out and took the fan and duct off the top. It’s going to have to get me through this build as I am moving out of my house in a few weeks. Once I get to my new place I will build a proper spray booth.
AA9570C9-6509-4A1C-88CD-8B5388C494BF.jpegC9B8E68E-AB03-453C-B706-9DF9295B920C.jpeg73D66F83-CCE9-4CC7-8B45-9FC3A490A7EC.jpegC37B1C0D-A588-4B56-A21D-B590CC3FE98B.jpegAE6105FF-4E9C-4D97-A271-27F5FBD67D13.jpeg

My TRA level 1 HPR certification rocket flown yesterday 5-16-20. 57" long, 2.15" Diameter "Blue Angel" (PML Phobos kit) flown to 2569 ft. with an Aerotech H219T-10 motor. Sorry too tired to post last night.

Attachments

• 20200516_140717_HDR.jpg
    20200516_140717_HDR.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20200517-142802.png
    Screenshot_20200517-142802.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20200517-142835.png
    Screenshot_20200517-142835.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Started a MAC 3FNC yesterday. Did some calculations to foam the fin can per the instructions recommendation. Anyone built one of these? I am assuming the coupler is epoxied to the nose cone. I would appreciate a confirmation of this before it's too late!View attachment 417060View attachment 417061
Usually, yes- do you have a bulkhead plate for it? or would you be epoxying the shock cord right into the nose cone/coupler? Before epoxying a bulkhead you want to add any nose weight if needed for stability.

My TRA level 1 HPR certification rocket flown yesterday 5-16-20. 57" long, 2.15" Diameter "Blue Angel" (PML Phobos kit) flown to 2569 ft. with an Aerotech H219W-10 motor.
Yes I just left the chutes loose.

I'm contemplating rolling up crepe paper to make disposable pistons that will shove the chutes out. Since the apogee is only about 300 feet, should be easy to recover the crepe paper.

Should work! I use dollar tree party streamer when using wadding. Fire retardant treated and biodegradable.

My TRA level 1 HPR certification rocket flown yesterday 5-16-20. 57" long, 2.15" Diameter "Blue Angel" (PML Phobos kit) flown to 2569 ft. with an Aerotech H219W-10 motor.

Should work! I use dollar tree party streamer when using wadding. Fire retardant treated and biodegradable.
You don't say?

I'll be in a Dollar Tree Tuesday for an inventory. When it's over...

Usually, yes- do you have a bulkhead plate for it? or would you be epoxying the shock cord right into the nose cone/coupler? Before epoxying a bulkhead you want to add any nose weight if needed for stability.
No bulkhead, the recovery gear will need to go in there. I was just going to quick clip the shock cord to the short piece of kevlar that came attacked to the tip of the wildman nose cone. I assume that has been permanently attached to the tip.

Drug my tired, sore body out of the rack around 5:30 this morning. Two days of flying in the desert had taken it's toll.
Friday, Sharon and I flew 13 low and mid power rockets, most of them before anybody else showed up for the SSS May launch.
Saturday was our first high power waiver since Holtville back in March. We flew seven more rockets with a couple long recoveries as the temperature went up into the high 90's. Today, it took a couple of Tylenol's and a pot of coffee to get me back out for one more flight. Sharon flew one more and we packed up and were home by Noon.
What a weekend! I will be posting up a launch report with pictures later this week.

Opened at looked at a Semroc SkyHook and Sabre parasite glider I got yesterday in the mail.
I look forward to the Skyhook - it was my first rocket back in 1967.

No bulkhead, the recovery gear will need to go in there. I was just going to quick clip the shock cord to the short piece of kevlar that came attacked to the tip of the wildman nose cone. I assume that has been permanently attached to the tip.
In that case yes- the coupler would be epoxied in as the nose cone shoulder. At least that's what I would do.

Back