What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go Greg:
Step 1: Layout and loop back around 5 or 6 inches of tubular Kevlar and tape the end to a hard point
20200324_110010.jpg
Step 2: At the bend use a tool to insert into the tubular Kevlar to open a hole
20200324_110032.jpg

20200324_110125.jpg

Step 3: Start working the taped end into the opening you have made
20200324_110142.jpg
Step 4: Continue pushing the taped end into the opening using the red tool or a wooden dowel.
20200324_110501.jpg

Step 5: Finish feeding the remainder of the Kevlar into the loop
20200324_110557.jpg

Attachments

• 20200324_110501.jpg
    20200324_110501.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 20
Looks good to me!

The annoying oart about that transition was how little straight shoulder was left when i cut off the slanted parts. Are you printing a new transition shell outright?
The part that looks like the transition is a liner that will get epoxied into the transition then I will be able to rebuild the shoulder where the slanted section was ( or not), the bulkplates are sized for each end to fit in the tube and should act as part of the shoulder.20200324_091753.jpg 20200324_091725.jpg

I went to Menards yesterday and got some stuff for my lathe, so I can build a better tailstock today.

Today I am working on the internal fillets on my Punisher and some other odds and ends on some other kits laying around to use the excess epoxy.

Here you go Greg:
Step 1: Layout and loop back around 5 or 6 inches of tubular Kevlar and tape the end to a hard point
View attachment 410106
Step 2: At the bend use a tool to insert into the tubular Kevlar to open a hole
View attachment 410107

View attachment 410109

Step 3: Start working the taped end into the opening you have made
View attachment 410110
Step 4: Continue pushing the taped end into the opening using the red tool or a wooden dowel.
View attachment 410111

Step 5: Finish feeding the remainder of the Kevlar into the loop
View attachment 410112
Mick, thanks. A question though. Does the Kevlar need to be sewn or is thr friction under pressure enough that it won't slide?

Mick, thanks. A question though. Does the Kevlar need to be sewn or is thr friction under pressure enough that it won't slide?
No sewing necessary. You can make it longer if you want. Once assembled the finger trap is self tightening, the harder you pull the tighter the tubular Kevlar gets. So once you include the eyebolt, something that the trap can pull against the tighter it gets on it's own and it will not slide out.

The part that looks like the transition is a liner that will get epoxied into the transition then I will be able to rebuild the shoulder where the slanted section was ( or not), the bulkplates are sized for each end to fit in the tube and should act as part of the shoulder.View attachment 410113 View attachment 410114
Similar to the problem with the Big Daddy nose cone. Removing the slanted portion doesn’t leave a lot of shoulder to work with.

No sewing necessary. You can make it longer if you want. Once assembled the finger trap is self tightening, the harder you pull the tighter the tubular Kevlar gets. So once you include the eyebolt, something that the trap can pull against the tighter it gets on it's own and it will not slide out.
Mick, I made a PDF out of your instructions & photos.

Attachments

• Kelvar Tubular Schock Cord Loop.pdf
    758.2 KB · Views: 23
Uh well im in the crowd of never...yet....
Honestly, it was a good, small, well-made movie, with very good performances as expected from very good actors. But it was nothing earth-shattering, and I don't expect to want to see it again.

If this were Twitter I would say "RIP my mentions" right about now.

Rich, watch it, you'll love it. :)

I'm sure I will, however I don't watch hardly anything other than historical docu's mainly on military history and some science etc. Partially due to the fact that my television access is restricted due to a 5, 9, and 11 year old and not desiring to give them unlimited TV time so its after they go to bed for me.

I'm sure I will, however I don't watch hardly anything other than historical docu's mainly on military history and some science etc. Partially due to the fact that my television access is restricted due to a 5, 9, and 11 year old and not desiring to give them unlimited TV time so its after they go to bed for me.
It is historical, pretty much, based on reality. There is nothing in the movie that is offensive.

Finished up printing parts for my Ventris/Argent Alitmeter Bay and other than redesigning and reprinting the larger bulkplate the design works as intended, the altimeter is a Eggtimer Quark one of my goto non-recording altimeters. Due to the tight space the sled instead of using my modular altimeter mounts and modular battery box are designed into the main part of the sled. The black well nut in the bulkplates are for the ematch wires to pass through, not installed yet are the eyebolts and the charge wells (two remaining open holes in the bulkplates).
Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 1.jpg Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 2.jpg Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 3.jpg Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 4.jpg Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 5.jpg Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 6.jpg Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 7.jpg Ventris Argent Altimeter Bay 8.jpg

Glued fins on Saturn V. It's starting to look like the real thing. Worked on F1 engines - glued string to nozzles. This was an interesting exercise in avoiding seriously gluing fingers together.
Ordered Nike Smoke and stomp rocket from Estes spring sale. 20200325_170442.jpg 20200325_171123.jpg

Hey, that is super interesting. Care to show another picture or two illustrating how it actually works?
OK. L shaped slots are laser cut into the aft of the rocket. Install motor flush to the bulkhead and install teflon ring in back. Twist to hold in position. I've read a couple of flight reviews of SDI kits that use this method as well as Chris M's build and flight of an SDI kit (Zanadune?) Apparently the ejection gasses can leak past the front of the motor and bulkhead and exit through the rear, resulting in the recovery gear not deploying. So I may have to tweak this, depending on whether I get the same results on the maidens.
0325201403.jpg 0325201401.jpg 0325201401a.jpg 0325201405.jpg
The Gyro Nomo uses the same system. The ring however was missing from the bag.
SDI Vector, Avenger, and Vr-T-Go coming up soon.

Back