What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoyed the heck out of reading/searching/learning/playing here on TRF.
Working on motivation to get going on a jig to true-up my AGM Pike fins...TODAY...Grrrrrr
I do LOVE this place!!!!

So thats a good hiding place from the wife? [emoji2958]

Nah, its just a good storage place for large flat objects ~3.5" high in an apartment with finite space

Oh wow, have you been sitting on it for (almost) 3 decades? Does that say "Package Sample with E conversions"? That kit reminds me of back when I was flying rockets the first time around.

No i got it on the yard sale in '18.
It does say that all that. Makes me wonder if it was an old display model or has some other history to it, but the sharpied date is a nice touch (its not that much younger than myself)

Nah, its just a good storage place for large flat objects ~3.5" high in an apartment with finite space

No i got it on the yard sale in '18.
It does say that all that. Makes me wonder if it was an old display model or has some other history to it, but the sharpied date is a nice touch (its not that much younger than myself)
Build it carefully. Single 29mm or 4x24mm cluster? Herescone I was gifted not long ago (closest to camera).20200101_151804.jpeg

Just placed a bunch of orders with several of our favorite vendors:

There is a 4" Nike Zeus kit on it's way from LOC Precision (Christmas present), along with a reducer, tube and nose cone to convert it to a more "Spartan-like" profile. OR file and image below...

There are also 42" and 48" cross-form thin mill chutes from Top Flight. Nose cone, kevlar shock cord and a bunch of rail guides from Giant Leap, and ejection charges and nomex from Buy Rocket Motors.

Credit card is on the floor gasping, but I'm pretty excited...

zeus.png

Attachments

• Loc Zeus-Spartan.ork
    2.8 KB · Views: 16

You know your bitten by the Launch Bug when every Rocket kit in basement is on the table to build... Choosing one to work on was easy as the SeaHawk stood out.. But As I work on it I'm getting that bite in the Butt hard to take a leap to next level...

I have been researching a few rockets to get me going into the next stage from Model rockets into high power rockets. SO the next steps are in play this morning..

1. Researching any Local Club in the KCMO area very few here.. One possibility... Sent email out to them to see if I can make it to their next meeting... Last thing I want is to start a club..
2. Research NAR/TRIPOLI registration..
3. Researching different Rockets that catch my eye and budget. AeroTech/LOC have my undivided attention right now.
4. Youtubed a few videos on 3 Rocket kits I Fancy
5. After watching a build video by John Coker the LOC IV (LOC 4) im seriously leaning to this kit and some of the mods he completed.

So now to get my plan of attack into action...
Don't forget to check out Binder Design Excel single deployment. Great value and really great stout rocket.

Theres something about the smoke and sound of clustered blackpowder rockets that ud like for this one. Ill start with D12s, then uf im adventurous, ill start mixing in E12s at our waivered launches

Cast 26 lbs. of Don Alexander's slow white. Started the mix yesterday and vacuumed it down last night. This morning the propellant was at 48* and very hard for my 20 qt. hobart to get going on. By noon, it had warmed up enough to add curative, and we were done casting around 2pm.

2020-01-12%20Slow%20white%20grains.jpg

Mandrels and plates are bolted down on my vibration table, which is bolted to an old 37" Jeep tire. 33 grains, 15 75mm and 18 54mm. Took the rest of the day off to watch football.

I've been working on a build....had problems with spray paint, blotchy paint caused me to have to re-sand a prime the entire rocket. Back to square 1....was reading that cooler temps can cause this problem. Was wondering how many on this site recommended investing in an airbrush as opposed to caned paint ?

I've been working on a build....had problems with spray paint, blotchy paint caused me to have to re-sand a prime the entire rocket. Back to square 1....was reading that cooler temps can cause this problem. Was wondering how many on this site recommended investing in an airbrush as opposed to caned paint ?

I myself will be going back to airbrushing... I have painted in the garage during winter, painted in the basement and have had the wife and kids gagging upstairs.

Had a day out this last week to Hobby Lobby and seen an air brush paint I really like and even and new air brush system. Its called Createx they have a ton of colors a great website of info as well. Check it out...

https://createxcolors.com/

Been working on the SeaHawk this week, Have fins on finally just need to complete fillets and on to painting..

Attachments

• IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 55
While waiting on the weather to improve for correcting the blistered paint on my Renegade-D fins :mad: and prime a Sky Warrior , I started on a Pemberton "Little Bucky Jones" kit that's been on the build pile for awhile.
Little Bucky Jones.jpg

Big fan of Createx. Ace Primer Grey, Createx auto-air base coats and Candy 02/metalics/pearls for the details/artwork. An automotive topcoat is used. I think Createx has a mural topcoat that might work as well.

Back