What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For 24mm motors, they're not very "low impulse"
True! They're certainly high impulse for a 24mm motor, I meant relative to their average thrust. Not many other options out there for a G150.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
Finished up painting the Tomahawk-12 I built to replace the one that drifted away.

Pictured next to the Tomahawk-9 I built after the first one CATO’d on a G33

IMG_1323.jpg

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Need to consider paint jobs that use common colors... my closet is beginning to look like a rainbow
Wouldn't it be cool to share paint with another builder?

Anyway, what exactly are those camouflage paints? I haven't noticed those in the store before.

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool to share paint with another builder?
That's a good idea. I have a shelf full of paints, but it's more fun to pick out new colors.... I wonder if it work to trade partially used cans, but it isn't always easy to know how much is left.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would work fine but you'd need to have someone pretty nearby to make it worth it (I think)

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score
Anyway, what exactly are those camouflage paints? I haven't noticed those in the store before.
They're stocked differently depending on where you are. My local Walmart only has 3 of the camo colors, but one towards the outskirts of town has like....6

Maybe Alabama has more of a demand for camouflage paint than your zip code :D

mbeels

Yes balsa
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would work fine but you'd need to have someone pretty nearby to make it worth it (I think)
True indeed, perhaps it could work to have coordinated exchanges made at rocket launches.

Reactions: GRS

jqavins

Joseph Avins
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It was the best launch of the year, despite the fact that this happened to my favorite rocket:View attachment 396602
My sympathies.
Ah nuts, is it repairable? Nice paint job.
Sure it is! If it's a favorite then it's worth the effort.

[I]t isn't always easy to know how much is left.
Weigh it. Weigh a full one for reference. If you want to be really precise then weigh an empty also, but the empties are light enough that there isn't much error if you don't.

jeffjblack

Reaction score
I am developing 3D printed, modular, bolt-on fin cans for model rockets. This is a mashup of rev 1 and rev 2 for BT70, 56mm tubing. Make sure to follow the link in the video description to the files on Thingiverse so you can print your own. I could not quite finish the model in time for last Saturday's SARA Volunteer Launch. So look for it soon, sporting the 4k Action Camera. Stay tuned!
#3DPrinted #Modular #ModelRocket #FinCan #56mm #BT70

Ed Beauchemin

Reaction score
Finished replacing a section of the tube on my Thunderbird clone after it lawn darted when the parachute didn't open properly
20191018_202507.jpg

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
Ah nuts, is it repairable? Nice paint job.
Come hell or high water, it will be repaired. I just emailed Mike from Binder Design for a new fin. And since I'll screw up a bunch of paint with the repair, I think it will need a new paint job. Time to order more fishnet stockings from Amazon!

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The bolts pass through the fin. They are going anywhere without something catastrophic happening. Thanks!
I think the question was whether anything connects the fin assembly to the body tube other than friction.

Alan R

Reaction score
primered a nosecone .. and glued a fin in place and some random other stuff
IMG_20191021_083825403.jpg

Ben Martin

"That guy in the hall building a rocket"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think the question was whether anything connects the fin assembly to the body tube other than friction.
The video shows that there are tabs that go in between the centering rings that hold the fins to the body tube while locking the centering rings into place. Pretty cool idea but I'm sure it comes at a mass penalty with the metal screws and a lot of 3D printed material.

jeffjblack

Reaction score
There are eight brackets that have a tang that is passed through each of eight slots in the body tube that both anchor the fin can and secure the motor mount. I made a video so I wouldn't have to write a book. Please watch it then ask any remaining questions you might have.

neil_w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, didn’t even notice that was a video. Just watched it, quite interesting.

SteveNeill

SNG Studio Ventura
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A bit more work on the Conquest. Molds for model kit parts. V-2, Delta X-15, Rocket Rider, V-23, and a bit more work on the master for the epoxy glass version of the X-15 delta. Sand and fill. Soon panel lines details and then the mold in epoxy glass. Rockets all day long.

Attachments

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaned the motor casings we used at the TRA/PHX launch. First launch of the season for us, named "Aguila Skies". Flew "Tweety Bird" on the LOKI M1378 in the center MMT, with two J430's airstarting immediately, then two J250 Skidmarks three seconds later. Great flight to over 8000 ft.
The Loki 54/4000 casing cleaned up really easy, with the liner sliding right out:

Forward end was a little roasted, but all in one piece.

The composite nozzle survived quite well, with some loss of material around the graphite, but very little loss in the center. .678" prior to firing, and .680 after.

Also cleaned up the four CTI 2 grain casings in about 15 minutes. Then tackled Sharon's 76/6000 casing. She flew her 4" Punisher "Cuddle monster" to 17,000 ft. using our "Not Your Wimpy Red" formula. Another easy cleaning case.
Then I was looking around for the 54 6XL casing I used for the L935 Imax that flew in the booster of
"CJ's 2 stage" but I must have left it in the trailer, so I'll be cleaning it Thursday when we bring the toy hauler back here to pack for the next launch. The two stage flight hit almost 21,000 ft. with the L935 in the booster and a CTI K261 long burn in the sustainer.
Last up was the night flight of "Warp Core Breach" flying on a CTI 38 6XL J520 Skidmark. Got 2600 ft. and a long recovery due to some 20 mph winds just off the surface. Those 38's are really easy to clean too.

Bruiser

Reaction score
Yesterday was my birthday and my wife picked this off my wish list as my birthday gift :)

Cosmic Interceptor.jpg

I have another Cosmic interceptor kit so this one might be used to create an Interceptor E since they have climbed so high...

-Bob

Latest posts