What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No flying at present. Two weeks into Spring and we have total fire bans most days. Close to 50 bushfires burning in NSW, so with that in mind I have multiple concurrent builds and concurrent paint sessions. So, in short, I can only blame a lack of concentration for pulling the masking tape from a rocket I painted less than an hour ago instead of the one in yesterday's painted pile (same rocket, all test builds). Only one strip of masking off before I realised the error. :confused:

"Non-traditional" seems to fit. The Sky Shenzhou kit has a solid plastic engine mount with a retractable engine hook. The instructions clearly say to "Superglue" it into the main body tube, so I followed their orders obsequiously.
CA is notoriously weak in shear, which is exactly the loading that an motor mount sees. Kudos for following the directions, but if it's not too late I'd add a fillet of something else if that's still possible.
In the background I see two toaster ovens and a microwave oven. The toaster ovens are good for a few tasks like curing this and that or softening the other, but what's the microwave for?

Anyway, yesterday I ordered motors for Saturday's maiden launch of Office Supplies. I hope they arrive in time.

Last edited:
CA is notoriously weak in shear, which is exactly the loading that an motor mount sees. Kudos for following the directions, but if it's not too late I'd add a fillet of something else if that's still possible.
In the background I see two toaster ovens and a microwave oven. The toaster ovens are good for a few tasks like curing this and that or softening the other, but what's the microwave for?

I don't know what Steve is using his for, but I've found that microwaving slow-cure epoxy after mixing decreases the gel time substantially. Useful if you're using slow-cure epoxy in the winter. The kitchen microwave is not recommended as the odor can be a bit strong, and tends to linger. Experimentation is necessary; some epoxies take only a few seconds.

I am going to guess it is for warming up coffee and hasperat.

I noticed the butcher butcher paper on the workbench (I'd do that, but I decided that scraping up dried glue with a rusty old Stanley wood chisel is more environmentally responsible >smile<). I also noticed that that @SteveNeill's workspace is tidy, well lit, and remarkably free of jelly fish.

purple.png

Guy this is my studio. 1500 sq. ft, offices up front, upstairs project room and a large bay you can back a semi into. The microwave is for lunch and meals, The other three ovens stacked up are convection ovens used to dry stuff. You can see a complete tour of the place if you go to the steve neills garage link in my sig. I was in the movie business for over 40 years now the place is my hobby shop. ;) Planes, jets, gliders, rc subs and boats. Slot cars, sculpture, art work, creatures, robots. You name it I do it. Did I say rockets?

I am going to guess it is for warming up coffee and hasperat.

I noticed the butcher butcher paper on the workbench (I'd do that, but I decided that scraping up dried glue with a rusty old Stanley wood chisel is more environmentally responsible >smile<). I also noticed that that @SteveNeill's workspace is tidy, well lit, and remarkably free of jelly fish.

View attachment 393006
LOL!!!!!!

I fear it may be too late, but if it pops out during flight I know what I won't use to re-seat it.* :D

*Assuming that I can recover everything in that situation, of course

I was thinking about going to RCHTA twenty years ago and bumping into Fishman. It seemed like my belated big break in life at the time. It turned into a shoot the shaggy dog story. I do feel cheated to the marrow.

One set of external fillets. Mixed 25g. of Rocketpoxy, had about 6g. too much.

Attachments

• IMG_20190910_165147.jpg
    IMG_20190910_165147.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 53
It was a good rocket day!

I won an ebay auction for a new-in-bag RMS 24/40 casing for $37.00 incl. shipping.

...and I finished the rough-in of my Black Brant II.

CMtOgUf.jpg

I must've been a good boy.

Did some work on my Black Brant II. Smeared some CWP on the fins, fillets and nose cone seam and sanded. Shot the first coat of primer.

IMG_20190911_220902.jpg IMG_20190911_220927.jpg IMG_20190911_220939.jpg IMG_20190911_223934.jpg

Also got started shaping and sealing the fins for a Boosted Bertha kit. (Really nice kit!!)

Can I start my own Blog page? "Red7Fifty's PoorBoy Rocketry *Tm".
Designed and made custom wire reel (since newbs are twisting up my launch controller wires). My custom launch control will be posted next (which isn't so ghetto as this reel).
For those that want to make one, I'll make another with a few more steps shown (how do I start a blog page?)
The hub, is an empty masking tape spool....the side panels, cut from a cardboard box that was about to go into the recycle bin. The spool axle, an Estes "E" engine spacer, goes through one panel, and butt glues to the other side flush. The sleeve is a piece of defective Starship Nova BT50 that was missing the glassine liner. End cap made from centering ring punch out.
Made this in about 30 min, using Elmers. Makes unwinding the wires quick, and winding up fast, twist free, and like a BOSS.
Tried it out this evening, when launching "The Ghetto Rocket" in the dark with 45 year old MPC and Estes engines.
DSC05513.JPG DSC05512.JPG

Is there a thread that says "What did you do rocketwise Last Night?"
"PoorBoy Rocketry, The Ghetto Rocket" on 1974 Estes B6-4.

IMG_3814.jpg
Finished the detail painting and applied decals on my Fliskits Morning Star. Decals tricky on this one, especially the ‘L’ shaped ones. Painted the nose, shroud, and the fin tips by hand with good old Testors Model paint. Just needs clear coating and it’ll be ready to fly.

With all the research I have done on Franks work and kits I'd have to say you will see it go. He does a great job on these designs and kits. Great price on kits and motors. And he has your back.

Hey, that gives me an idea. Giant Toblerone rocket. Three through the wall fins. Cardboard three sided pyramid nose cone.
Wonder how much those USPS boxes cost.
I have been actually toying around with the idea of actually making a Trigonometrical body tube, its hard to find that shape in the correct size to fit a 18mm engine mount + the right sized nose cone, maybe 3d printing may do the trick...

Got my flying fleet packed up for tomorrow. Total of 10 rockets, no way I'll get to fly them all but I like to leave my options open (which is another way of saying I'm too indecisive to choose my flyers in advance :rolleyes:)
launch fleet 9-14.JPG
(there's another 5 rockets at least in the tote)

Back