What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glued the forward plug in a couple of CTI L935's yesterday, and proceeded to prep my first rocket for LDRS. I'm flying a Blackhawk 54 with one, and using the same motor for the booster in a 3" two stage rocket.
Today, I finished prepping the avbay for the Blackhawk, and built a new Eggfinder TX for the nosecone.
First rocket related stuff I have done in quite a while.....

2019-07-29%20L935.jpg

Tried to get a system set up to begin spray-painting some rockets, hopefully later this week or this weekend. I'm not the most experienced spray-painter at this point, either. I guess I should have done more tagging in my wild youth.

20190730_155853.png 20190730_155555.png

It is pleasant to work with wood glue. I've been in a hurry on the last couple of projects so it has mostly been CA and 15 minute epoxy.

I screwed up the conduit on the smaller rocket (offset by about a fin's width from where it ought to be) -- but I am not going to fix it. Neither am I going to work to hard to hide the wood grain. I want the construction techniques to be evident.

Last edited:
Finally got around to washing the parts for the 3" Darkstar I bought a month ago. I think I'm going all in on this one. Redundant dual deploy, Eggfinder Mini in the nose. I'll need 54mm hardware, so I need to decide on a starter kit from either AT our CTI. I already have a "theme" and a full vinyl wrap from Stickershock. Lots of $$$$ still to be spent. Harnesses, chutes, recovery hardware. Probably an Eggtimer Quantum as primary altimeter with a Quark for backup. AV bay and nosecone tracker bays from SMT designs. Kevlar for the "Y" harness has shipped today so I'll probably start the motor mount in a few days.IMG_20190731_154258.jpg

0731190847.jpg

Built two Semroc kits last night: the Sabre parasite glider and the Jupiter B

Sabre was the fastest build ever. 15 min. not including glue drying and filleting time
Trimmed to a nice flat glide in my hallway. Wings are balsa and very thin. Smaller than I thought it would be.

Jupiter B is a glossy cardstock hull with fiberboard support and legs.
This one is bigger than I thought it would be.

Finished assembling the Bak Ja 'Kai yesterday.

BUILD BUILD BUILD. Laters.

Last edited:
Finally got around to washing the parts for the 3" Darkstar I bought a month ago. I think I'm going all in on this one. Redundant dual deploy, Eggfinder Mini in the nose. I'll need 54mm hardware, so I need to decide on a starter kit from either AT our CTI. I already have a "theme" and a full vinyl wrap from Stickershock. Lots of $$$$ still to be spent. Harnesses, chutes, recovery hardware. Probably an Eggtimer Quantum as primary altimeter with a Quark for backup. AV bay and nosecone tracker bays from SMT designs. Kevlar for the "Y" harness has shipped today so I'll probably start the motor mount in a few days.View attachment 389625

My all-time favorite rocket! And you have it in red thin-wall! Be sure to check out CJ's thread in HPR on this forum.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/how-to-build-a-stock-3in-darkstar-cj-step-by-step.55019/

I know it's dated, but still has lots of great info.

My all-time favorite rocket! And you have it in red thin-wall! Be sure to check out CJ's thread in HPR on this forum.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/how-to-build-a-stock-3in-darkstar-cj-step-by-step.55019/

I know it's dated, but still has lots of great info.
Thanks. I had seen CJ's thread before and more or less followed it when I built my Darkstar Jr. I also have a Mach1 Black Hole, a very similar kit, that's having the finishing touches put on the paint. Love those split fin rockets!
I like the red tubes and have a Wildman Sport that's just clear coated, looks great. This one will be wearing an excellent full vinyl wrap from Stickershock.

Last edited:
This is my first post. Been trolling and learning a bunch of new stuff. I've been out of rocketry for little over 25 years. I bought 3 kits I am soon to start building.

1. Loc aura
2. Loc weasel
3. Public Missile IO
All 3 kits are 29mm.

I do have have few Estes kits I'm going build and launch with my kids.

I had a semi-successful first spray painting session. My last spray painting session probably occurred in the 20th century, which, is by this time, quite a while ago.

It could have gone worse.

Attachments

• IMG_7466.JPG
    IMG_7466.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7467.JPG
    IMG_7467.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 76
Attended NARAM today. Wind as favorable and far less rockets found,the corn field at the Sports range. Flew a 20 year old E15-7W in my USRockets Christmas Rocket. Had to bum an ignitor from Trip Barber as the copperhead just would not find the slot. Lots of chuffing and by the time it got off the,pad the 7 second delay was obviously going to be to long it was heading straight down at asphalt when the chute blew less than 50' off the ground. No zipper. Had a much better flight with the Launch Pad ASRAAM. Clustered C11-5s. Both lit for a nice flight

Also got to meet Vern and Gleeda Estes. Truly an honor.

Cut some small caliber centering rings from fiberboard. Worked surprising well.

ST8toBT20cr1.png ST8toBT20cr2.png

Cut some small caliber centering rings from fiberboard. Worked surprising well.

Rockets: Where 50 caliber is small

Also got to meet Vern and Gleeda Estes. Truly an honor.

She made it out there? That's great! Last year, they were seriously considering retiring from the national event circuit

Somebody did it for me.... :3 https://www.thingiverse.com/make:688868

Actually, I did rocket surgery on three or five patients, I rediscovered my Centuri Bandito clone, made a little stand for my launch controller, put the 3D printer back together, made a couple of little 13mm spool rockets, and loaded up the car for a launch tomorrow morning.

Back