What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on Mongoose 38 today. 3D printed motor retainer, and 3D printed drill guide.
TfWrIRml.jpg

This motor retainer fits Loki 38 plugged bulkhead. I don't know yet how much the motor heat will affect the retainer, so I'll use a washer or something on the first flight to make sure I have good retention even if it melts. I will attach recovery harness to the motor as well, so at least three things have to fail to lose the motor.

FR5s61xl.jpg

Line 'em up and drill.
ODid0Qdl.jpg

Pretty good alignment.
kWqfdXml.jpg

I haven't decided on countersink vs counterbore yet, so I'll just leave the hole as is for now.

Been awhile since I've done some practical rocket work. Put the last fin on the Hot Bird and need to think about nose weight and fin fairings.

May try out that PVC threaded coupler idea from Sport Rocketer

received_451310188746975.jpeg

Set a new I-motor record today at Delamar. The TeleMetrum showed 15157ft with an I216. The surface wind was at the design limit for my rocket with honkin' winds aloft, so there's definitely room for improvement. The flight looked really cool - Fun stuff!!

Huge thanks to Rob702Martinez for his mad desert exploration skills and Pat Harden for all the work as the TAP for certifying the record attempt.

Pulled the masking tape off the black layer of paint on my stretched HP/DD LOC IV. Unfortunately, in a couple places, despite my best efforts, some paint came off with the tape, so touch ups are in order (you can see one of the spots in the lower black roll bars). I still need the gold band at the bottom of where the adapter module would be. Proportions aren't the same as a Gemini/Titan II (too tall/thin), but I think I captured the look & feel...

Titan-II-Look-Feel.jpg

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/my-loc-iv-build-thread.152141/

Took my two sons to SEVRA launch at Elizabeth City. My 17 year old successfully launched a scratch built MD on a D21. My 20 year old launched a scratch built DD twice. First shot was on G80, main parachute lines tangled, faster than nominal but completely survivable landing. Second shot was on an H135. Corkscrewed a bit during boost but straightened up for a successful L1 certification. Rocket had 1.2 cal. of margin according to OR but that was barely enough for a long slender rocket.

Dusted off my inventory to see if I could do a park fly today for the first time in about 3 years. Researched making my own relay launcher to replace my tired, old, but still operational Estes launcher. Wondered how much $$$ and time it would take to get a level 1 HPR cert. :) I saw the TARC finals at The Plains, VA last week (about 20mins from my home) and my interest in getting back into the hobby was completely stoked again!

Took my two sons to SEVRA launch at Elizabeth City. My 17 year old successfully launched a scratch built MD on a D21. My 20 year old launched a scratch built DD twice. First shot was on G80, main parachute lines tangled, faster than nominal but completely survivable landing. Second shot was on an H135. Corkscrewed a bit during boost but straightened up for a successful L1 certification. Rocket had 1.2 cal. of margin according to OR but that was barely enough for a long slender rocket.

Glad we could host you guys!

A better day at NYPower. Four lannches, all recovered, not without help.
  • Apogee SloMo on a C6, easy recovery.
  • A Quest space plane I forget the name of on another C6. Not too far to recover but is was in the high grass so it took some time to find.
  • My 29 mm Big Daddy mod on a G70. The wind took it about a quarter mile, and I'd walked more than that before someone else found it for me. My feet are sore.
  • The SloMo again, on a Q-Jet D16. Me Like Q-Jet! Recovery about 25 feet from where I stood watching.
  • At the registration table while getting dog barf for the second SloMo flight, I saw that someone brought back the Naked Nova that I lost yestersay.
The wind is still gusty and high, so I decided to quit while I'm ahead. I'm sitting and watching the last rack of the day (prior to the night launch).

I stuck 4 rubber pads underneath a newly dried rocket stand I made for my Aerotech HV ARCAS.

upload_2019-5-26_21-29-25.png

Been developing this kit on/off for months. Stoked to get it done today. The name, XLR8TR is a tongue-in-cheek at my daughter who thinks I just make up texting abbreviations as I go along. In this case, I did. ;-) It is a 4" rocket with 29mm MMT and stands 38" tall. The design is intended to be a roaring big launch with a severely attenuated altitude for sites with limited ceilings. At 750grams, RockSim says it will touch 550' on a F10 or an F26. A G53 at 975' and 1622' on an H128. HHR61a.jpg HHR61b.jpg

Been developing this kit on/off for months. Stoked to get it done today. The name, XLR8TR is a tongue-in-cheek at my daughter who thinks I just make up texting abbreviations as I go along. In this case, I did. ;-)View attachment 384329 View attachment 384330
Wow, how did you get that chrome finish on the fins? And speaking of kit names, what does Bak Ja' Kai mean? (Searched, came up empty).

Started vacuuming all the tools and parts I took to Thunda Downunder before I store them away in the workshop. Everything was dusted with a nice layer to fine red dust. A vacuum and wipe is needed for every item taken on the trip :(.

Example:
DustedResize.jpg

Well, yesterday actually, for the first time in 3 years, 3 successful launches (and recoveries ;) ). 1 of a large rocket I brought back from the dead and upgraded the engine size (even a C would only get it to about 300') a long time ago but never flew. Perfect flight on a D12 up to about 500'! Then 2 much smaller rocket launches but very nice nonetheless to 500' and 1000' respectively. Perfect end to Memorial Day weekend!

I pulled another all nighter last night (my wife hates it when I do that), but I...

1. Got the LOC Goblin and MDRM nose cones sprayed black (and only picked up one curious bug in the paint on one of them).
  2. Got the LOC Goblin dressed in it's vinyl decals.
  3. Got the MDRM aft centering ring epoxy sealed and edges trimmed.
  4. Got my (I still don't know what to call it...the modified fin shape MDRM that's getting a different nosecone) filleted, sanded and primed (needs sanding and another prime or three).
  5. Got the up-scaled Estes 220 Swift (or cloned MadCow 'Cricket') body tube re-slotted (4" BT).
Wait, what? What do you mean "re-slotted"? Dude, what did you do?

Well...when I drew out the slots the first time, I measured from one slot tho the other by going from the edge of the slot that are next to each other for two slots (right edge of "master slot" to left edge of next slot), then somehow measured out the last slot form both left-hand sides of the slot I measured from...leaving one slot a 1/4" off. :mad: So I measured drew, and cut new slots (accurately this time (measure ten times, cut once)) then used the guts from the new slots to fill the voids of the old slots. Thin CA and spackle sanding dust secured 'em in there good.:p
Yeah, I think that covers it.

Jon

"Wow, how did you get that chrome finish on the fins? And speaking of kit names, what does Bak Ja' Kai mean? (Searched, came up empty)."

I haven't a clue, but if you spit it out like a Klingon warrior, it will make hair grow on your chest. (I like to make stuff up...)

The chrome on the XLR8TR is chrome vinyl self-adhesive. I should have sanded the fins better, but by then I needed a cookie (just for quick energy of course) and so I just slapped it on and trimmed. The cookie was very good.

Back home from NY Power, where I got my L1 done. I'm calling it NY Powerline, as I landed two (2!) rockets on the power line there. They both finally came down on their own, albeit sans chute and nose cone. I hadn't realized I couldn't fly F and G off a 1/4" rod there, rail only, so I launched a few lower power rockets there. Got two of my night rockets launched, after two misfires, replaced the motor in the tall Mean Machine covered in EL wire and it flew nice, the Sub-Zero decided to pop over 90 degrees and it flew over our heads and way out into the field across the road there. maybe slightly misaligned hastily attached rail button? Also, the King Tut pyramid flew, got an exemption due to it being an odd-roc to fly off a 1/4 rod, but I think the F I chose had too long a delay, and with the rod angle due to wind, it arced over, hit the ground, and then had a great parachute ejection which made me LOL. It's a tough rocket, no real damage and will fly again.

Anyway, I went to get, and got, my L1 using the LOC 4" Goblin on an H128W even though my delay was too long. Everything else was gravy- good to meet the Wildman. Hats off to the MARS club, great group of folks, thank for the event!

Picked up my AT 75/7680 case, 75mm RAS, and Rear Closure from a friend who picked it up from the vendor at FITS for me, also ordered a M1550R for the Nuclear Sledgehammer (very disappointed the M1955DM hasn't been certed yet, but can't afford to wait any longer to make sure I have a motor to fly at SodBlaster II).

Back