What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DREAMED of WHEN,,
I can get my rockets out of storage and get back too building my Satern V

I'll bite. I recognize the bottom part, what's the top end?

Atlas GATV - Gemini Agena Target Vehicle. It's will be the same scale as my 1/35 Gemini Titan.

Thinking about ways I might accomplish the stage-and-a-half flight profile. So far, not getting past thinking.

Without a drastic redesign and your own parts, Not sure you could do the true engine collar separation

Yep. That's the idea. Drastic redesign and my own parts. I roll my own 3.44" tubing, so I've got some flexibility. The other parts I printed.
I'm mind-simming my way to a solution for fins on the core after separation.

Yep. That's the idea. Drastic redesign and my own parts. I roll my own 3.44" tubing, so I've got some flexibility. The other parts I printed.
I'm mind-simming my way to a solution for fins on the core after separation.
Been doing the same brainstorming for my 5.5" based Mercury-Atlas. Multi staging this onesca bugger, I was actually thinking of mounting the pods on rails and allowing them to slide between fins that are more X pattern than cruciform (+).

Been doing the same brainstorming for my 5.5" based Mercury-Atlas. Multi staging this onesca bugger, I was actually thinking of mounting the pods on rails and allowing them to slide between fins that are more X pattern than cruciform (+).

If anything, the larger scale will make it easier to implement some sort of staging mechanism

index.php

I'm pretty sure the pods stay and the shrouds go - the separation line being where they meet.
I've thought about a couple versions of something like that:

Duckfoot fins on carbon rods on the surface of the body (breaks up the lines :-( ) with the booster dropping away between them. And probably hanging up.
Sectioning the booster so it's slotted and slides up and around big bertha-like fins. But can the cut body withstand the wind forces after separation?
Boattailing the core and having fins inside the booster that don't break it's surface - but can they function in the lee of the core?
Having fins inside the booster that lever out after separation, so they get into the outer airstream. (That's where I'm at now)

I got some primer on this scratch builder that I have been slowly assembling. I have been thinking of a paint scheme involving Rustoleum metallic oiled bronze. Thank you Mark/ mjstech.0904-132426.jpg

Work on filling the 3x18 mmt. Geting the shape now. About time for some primer so I can see it better.I have a long ways to go to get where I want to be. Rings on bottom, fill above them and bevel. Some bamboo dowels on up the BT 20s.Ya, I got always to go. Then I have to figure out what I'm gonna build on top.Thats the beauty of design as you go. That's how I fly baby. Lol.

Attachments

• 20190409_220649.jpg
    20190409_220649.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20190409_220741.jpg
    20190409_220741.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20190409_220728.jpg
    20190409_220728.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 73
A friend of mine from North Carolina is coming over next month and attending a launch with me. Today I helped him pick out a rocket project (a LOC Deployer) so he can participate in the fun and possibly go for his L1.

I also realized that some of my projects are exceeding the range of my postal scale, so I ordered a 90lb x 0.1oz resolution scale for weighing the big dogs.

Over the last week, I experimented with various multistaging configurations to see how much altitude I can get if I had (almost) unlimited access to O motors. I have discovered that it may be possible for an amateur to put a satellite in orbit, even if it's just for 3 or 4 swings around our planet, using off the shelf parts and materials. That is, if OpenRocket is accurate. I've no secondary test software to compare it to.
I'm not likely to launch an orbital rocket from my current location in Rhode Island. The FAA might not look too kindly upon such a thing.

RockSim won't do it, as it has a built in altitude cap. And I'm not paying the thousand bucks or so for RS-Pro.

Anyway, last night I sprayed the nose cone for Big Betty. The color scheme is white on the fins and lower part of the BT, a speckled fade to fire engine red on the upper part of the BT, and forest green on the nose.

My red rattle can (the one I could find in a hurry) is internally clogged, so Big Betty's color scheme changed to white-black-green. The light is cloudy early morning; the green on the nose is dark, but not that dark.
upload_2019-4-11_8-13-33.png

Printed and clear-coated a replacement logo decal for my Deuce of July. Because I lost the first one. Someday I will stop being $%#*%! annoyed about that, but today is not that day.
replacement decal.JPG

Printed and clear-coated a replacement logo decal for my Deuce of July. Because I lost the first one. Someday I will stop being $%#*%! annoyed about that, but today is not that day.
View attachment 379791
Nice looking . You and me both on the getting annoyed when we lose , misplace something. It can actually put me in an outright rage. Send me right over the edge. I've been seriously trying to work on that issue. It's not healthy.

Well I've been mailing a lot of stuff out. Today I got mail. Top Flight chutes. 3=15s, 1=9 and a 12" chute protector for my Big Daddy (Roth) upscale. 4".

Attachments

• 20190411_152030.jpg
    20190411_152030.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190411_151905.jpg
    20190411_151905.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 52
Back