What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dipped some BKNO3-V starters, to be used tomorrow. Very nice; slightly flexible rather than brittle. These will be my go-to motor starters from now on.

Best -- Terry
View attachment 375961
Where did you get the bkno3? I have been looking for some, Granules like fffg and or pellets too, an old site I had found before is gone.

Finally finished the BT70 upscale Goblin I started when Semroc went out of business. The package from Stickershock is postmarked August of 2014. 4 1/2 years to build a simple 4fins and a nose cone....
Still have 2 more sets of stickers in that pack.....

Semroc stuff is now being sold by eRockets who bought semroc out. https://www.erockets.biz/

Sanded down the filler/primer on my Deuce. I think the motor mount area came out pretty good.
IMG_8071.jpg
I’m not a big fan of sanding filler/primer in general, but I *really* hate sanding it around nooks and crannies.

More progress on the Darkstar Jr. Fins tacked on. I have to set up the pumps for the West Systems epoxy; then it will be mixing it up with the pinch of carbon fiber to try my hand at injecting the internal fillets. This is a new technique for me. I'll give the first set a try tomorrow.IMG_20190302_220607.jpg

My first experience with West epoxy and carbon fiber was not 100% successful. It appears I didn't spend enough time mixing the fiber into the epoxy. I failed to break up the pieces into individual fibers and the large chunks clogged the syringe tip. The result was most of the fiber was left in the syringe and all that got inside the airframe was epoxy. I'm sure the result will be plenty strong enough and I think the remaining fillets will work out better. I'll let 'em cur15516337195937980692014487562407.jpg e and try another set later.

I started going nuts on this idea I had based on the BSD Thor. I think it looks super cool.

Attachments

• hulk 2.png
    hulk 2.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 81
My first experience with West epoxy and carbon fiber was not 100% successful. It appears I didn't spend enough time mixing the fiber into the epoxy. I failed to break up the pieces into individual fibers and the large chunks clogged the syringe tip. The result was most of the fiber was left in the syringe and all that got inside the airframe was epoxy. I'm sure the result will be plenty strong enough and I think the remaining fillets will work out better. I'll let 'em curView attachment 376097 e and try another set later.

Make sure you have a big enough opening in the tip to let the carbon out

Make sure you have a big enough opening in the tip to let the carbon out
I think it was a case of not mixing thoroughly and pulverizing the carbon into individual fibers. I can try opening up the tip as well for the next set.

I usually let my CF flakes soak in Epoxy part A for about 30-45 min before adding part B and mixing. The CF flakes just sort of "dissolve" into a black tinted epoxy when I mix it after that.

I usually let my CF flakes soak in Epoxy part A for about 30-45 min before adding part B and mixing. The CF flakes just sort of "dissolve" into a black tinted epoxy when I mix it after that.
It sounds like soaking would work. I had some left over and the more I stirred it the more the clumps of fiber broke up. I got it to the point where it was pretty uniform gray color.

Once the CF is "dissolved", or whatever, is it actually adding strength to the epoxy?

It really doesn’t dissolve; the individual fibers just aren’t clumped together. It does add strength. Most of us add way too much the first time we do this. Then it’s similar to a soggy cat. [emoji3]

Checked to see if could get to the fields where I launch. Haven't even checked once this winter. Was a no go for launch. The farmer hasn't plowed the road to the fields yet. Bummer Its a big area. Big enough for HP. I fly rockets that take up to 3 Es.

6AA17A27-70FA-4C4E-8373-8047C635441B.jpeg Installed a madcow retainer on my L1 rocket. It was a tight fit and came out slight canted. As long as I don’t lose a casing I’ll be happy.

Back