What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20181030_184658.jpg I completed my second high power scratch build rocket. Instead of using the break wire technique to start the timer I'm using a microswitch that opens the circuit when it comes off the rail.

Thanks, I have launched about a dozen K motors and three M motors in the last 3 years. I have had a lot of problems with recovery, mostly failures of the main chute to inflate. The fifteen foot main was deployed at 800 feet, but did not inflate till 350 feet. I might move the main deploy up to 1,000 feet for the next one.

Thanks, I have launched about a dozen K motors and three M motors in the last 3 years. I have had a lot of problems with recovery, mostly failures of the main chute to inflate. The fifteen foot main was deployed at 800 feet, but did not inflate till 350 feet. I might move the main deploy up to 1,000 feet for the next one.

I’m still pretty impressed with the lack of wind, the dead straight flight and almost dead straight descent... next time, land the rocket in the boot (trunk) of the car and just drive home!!

Ordered 5 yards of 5.9oz 3K Carbon Twill, 10' of 4" 3K CF tubular sleeve, 10' of 4" Light FG tubular sleeve, and some peel ply. Getting ready for the off season builds of the Nuclear Sledgehammer, Thor and NikeM7-Aerobee2K (fantasy scale of my own design).

Thanks, I have had other people mention that I have fin flutter but the only problems I have encountered is with hard landings. The fins are made from 1/4 inch MDF, Max speed is about 350 MPH.

Built my Estes Little Joe II. Followed a build thread on the for the painting of the wrap, turned out good. Used the accur8 wraps for the rest.

I would guess many folks do a little rocketry work every few days. Maybe your work is not new thread worthy, but you might want to at least share with others.
If you feel like it, this can be a thread for that. On the arcade message board I visit they have a thread like that and it is nice.
My most recent build.20181028_095606.jpeg20181028_143738.jpeg

Tacked a new fin back on X1.4. Moral of the story. Don’t drop ultra thin airfoiled fins on gravel the trailing edges shatter which is why it’s so rare to see hobbyists try it.

Just finished printing a fin can for a scale Nike Apache.
Nike_Apache_Fin_Can.jpg

Looks like a really nice event. Also good job scoring the first picture. :)

Weird that among 53 photos there were exactly zero of rockets launching (yes, I know that one video showed one launch).

It’s in the community section - people read the local rag for the people, not the rockets...

I thought the same thing.

Does obsessing over wanting to launch rockets because it is a windless day, but being stuck at work count? Even though I work full-time for a hobby shop, it is painful when you would rather be rocketeering!

Fillets, Fillets, Fillets...primer. Fillets on my 4" Loc V2 DD conversion, all six fins on the Estes Recruiter, and primer and color on a couple of other LPR builds.

Starting a new build - the "Pseudo Sandhawk" - a sport scale interpretation of the Terrier Sandhawk kit-bashed from an old Estes BLU-97B kit I found in my old stock and a Star Orbiter. I put together the tailcone, trimmed it out for a D/E 24mm motor tube and notched it out for the engine hook. Also centering up and gluing the motor mount in the BLU-97B BT-70 body tube to build up the "Terrier" style booster.

IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2089.JPG

Here's the idea:

Pseudo Sandhawk.jpg

Last edited:
Sat down and built an Estes Quinstar this evening. I'm hoping for a windless afternoon this coming Sunday. It is forcasted to be pretty nice. 17 rockets loaded and ready for launch, 6 of which are maiden flights. It has been a busy month of building!

Attachments

• 20181101_224203.jpg
    20181101_224203.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20181101_224306.jpg
    20181101_224306.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 69
  • 20181101_224322.jpg
    20181101_224322.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 68
Today, I got my scratch level 2 just about ready to go. 15 hours till it flies, I hope, otherwise, I will have to have another try... Fins are epoxy filleted, nose has expanding foam put in to keep the ballast in check and the AT J570 is built.
OK....I over did it with the expanding foam. My nose cone kept pooing for about an hour! I will clean that up in a bit.IMG_20181017_165133.jpegIMG_20181102_155807.jpeg20181102_121018.jpeg

IMAG3059 by beerorkid, on Flickr

A 4 foot rail showed up at lunch. The Rockwell Jaw Stand will be here Friday. PML rail lugs and other toys showed up. I built up quite the build queue it seems. The wife is very supportive and assists often, but pointed out how many unbuilt kits I have. I thanked her (because now I am hardware hunting).

IMAG3054 by beerorkid, on Flickr

This poor Xarconian Cruiser has been half built for weeks now. Almost done, but there will be much filler and sanding.

IMAG3018 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMAG3020 by beerorkid, on Flickr

How short can a Bertha go until it is unstable? She has lost about 7 inches. I do have BT-60 and couplers though.
Give it a try...fly it like you don't want it back!

That XC is lookin sweeet!

I built a, "Der Red Max", this is probably a kit I would have never bought, but due to the generosity and kindness of a certian member of this foum I find my self in possion of one. They seem to be a real popular design so I figured I'd build it. Can't wait to see it fly.
Built 1 a month back, it has flown 5 times...I LOVE that kit. That and my Maxi Alpha 3 are the 2 I always seem to fly every meet along with what ever new stuff I have.

Built a rocket from boxes. Made the couples and nose cone. I did use an 18mm MMT tube and clip and the rest is made.
It flew beautifully but it hit hard with a streamer recovery.
It does show my poor snack choices!
But...no rocket bits used. A knife, scissors, glue, boxes, elastic, bin bag streamer.
Good fun!!IMG_20181026_013710.jpegIMG_20181026_013702.jpeg

Back