What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built a motor mount and then took all of my old instruction booklets, data, and face cards from past rockets and arranged them in my rocket file box. Scanned some one off parts for my latest build and put them in the file box.

Worked on a new design for a two stage project, most of the materials are already on hand so sometime later this winter a build thread will happen.
I call it the Nike Mk2-Aerobee 2k (for now). Its based on the Aerobee-Hi/150 airframe and a upscaled Nike M5 booster with my own fins. Its a 4" five finned booster and 3" five finned sustainer (thought about 6 fins but decided I like the look of 5 better). Originally it started out to be a fantasy scale Nike AerobeeHI, the donor kit for most of the sustainer parts is a 3" Madcow AerobeHI kit won at SodBlaster.
NikeM7 Aerobee2k two stage.png

Last edited:
Flew 3 rockets. RSO-LCO on a number of others. Helped with teardown and clean-up. Won an Egg-Timer altimeter.

I used Bondo 261 on the tail cone of my BlackFly. First time ever using the stuff. YouTube was very helpful. In particular Kevin Tetz's videos sponsored by Eastwood. Also a video by Ron Budman had some nice tips.

Unable to launch due to breezy conditions the past couple of weekends, so built a couple of clones today, the Estes Pathfinder and the Quest Icarus.

IMG_20181021_204051.jpg

Last edited:
Spent some time with the girls in what I have dubbed Beerhauler v1.0, getting used to operating the equipment. For the OROC gang, I am also referring to it as the "Brothers enabler". No more tenting it at the launches for me!

Additionally, a couple days ago I got some of my vintage Estes flown at our local BEMRC launch: 1990's Rampage E2X, 1980's rebuilt Maverick, and a 1980's AstroCam 110. It was way cool to pull the old motor out of the AstroCam to discover a 1987 manufacture date on it.20181021_161459.jpg

Printed and test fitted my 3D parts for a Nike Nike Smoke 2 stage build.

Attachments

• Nike_Nike_Smoke_Proto.jpg
    Nike_Nike_Smoke_Proto.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 69
956354E9-0EBA-4AC1-A7F0-135E772AFF63.jpeg
Flew the university multistage rocket in Tampa. If you were there you saw it go real freaking high. So high that the university told us to shut up. It drifted 1.4 miles and landed in a swamp. They dug it out of a chest high swamp. I flew the RB05A and broke X1.4 fin in transport.

So high that the university told us to shut up.
To "shut up" regarding the altitude? As if it's classified? One wonders why, but one supposes you are not at liberty to say. So one will learn to live with disappointment.

Anyway, if it did so well you can't talk about it (and on an I motor at that) then, I guess, congradulations?

They broke the university’s super secret altitude record maybe?
Maybe he means that they busted the waiver...
Exactly, they possibly busted the waiver, if so man up and admit it. Failure to provide info to prove or disprove busting a waiver if asked by the hosting club can result in loss of flying privileges especially if the club has to answer FAA's questions. Everything is Super Secret with you Andrew.

They broke the university’s super secret altitude record maybe?

This. We placed 3rd nationally last year for engineering with a booster stage ignite only. This year looks like 1st by a landslide sustainer lit. It’s the highest altitude we’ve had from a multistage MD. I can’t mention the exact number for competition edge reasons. My ultimate goal was to make this pos university number 1 with multistage rockets. We were below the waiver you speculative types.

Last edited:
Waited for my package from estes, recieved a message that it was delivered and its not here :( I was home when it says it was delivered and dont think they ever delivered it.

Ordered another custom airfoiled fin to replace the gravel impact damaged one on X1.4. Ordered another set of 24mm egglofter FARG.

Waited for my package from estes, recieved a message that it was delivered and its not here :( I was home when it says it was delivered and dont think they ever delivered it.
Bummer... Had to be USPS. They have done that to me quite a few times over the years.

Most likely, the package has been "delivered" to another residence.

It's been a while since posting here and I haven't made any of our Tripoli Vegas launches this fall. Buuuut, I did sell my Z4 which opened up the perfect spot in my garage for lots of rocket work space. I also ditched our old family homepage that I hadn't updated in a decade and started populating the new wordpress blog version (including rocket stuff) here: https://thedukes.org

Got this far in repainting the Moonbat nosecone. Feathered the edges of the big chip in the paint, and scuffed the surface (and also knocked the bothersome corner off the balsa-to-plastic transition). Two coats of adhesion promoter, two coats of high build primer, three coats of sandable automotive primer.

Next painting day it gets another coat of adhesion promoter, then the Metalcast ground coat, then a couple coats of the Duplicolor anodized yellow, then automotive clear coat...so it will look good in the corner of the shop until Il launch it and it gets banged up again <g>

repaintingmbnc.png

Trying to decide how much of the rest of the field damage to repair. The zipper is more than just a cosmetic defect, so it gets fixed. The scorch marks on the tail cone, however, I think I will leave alone.

Got a small package today that I thought might be my L2 pin. It was something else.

Scan-181024-0001.png

Got this far in repainting the Moonbat nosecone. Feathered the edges of the big chip in the paint, and scuffed the surface (and also knocked the bothersome corner off the balsa-to-plastic transition). Two coats of adhesion promoter, two coats of high build primer, three coats of sandable automotive primer.

Next painting day it gets another coat of adhesion promoter, then the Metalcast ground coat, then a couple coats of the Duplicolor anodized yellow, then automotive clear coat...so it will look good in the corner of the shop until Il launch it and it gets banged up again <g>

View attachment 364935

Trying to decide how much of the rest of the field damage to repair. The zipper is more than just a cosmetic defect, so it gets fixed. The scorch marks on the tail cone, however, I think I will leave alone.

Got a small package today that I thought might be my L2 pin. It was something else.

View attachment 364942

I’ve never gotten any pins from them. I wasn’t sure if you had to buy them or what?

I’ve never gotten any pins from them. I wasn’t sure if you had to buy them or what?

I don't really know. The L1 pin just showed up a couple of weeks after I submitted the certification documents. Didn't order it. Didn't expect it. I figured we all got them.
l1pin.png

I did order a replacement, when I thought this one had been lost in purge of old keys, badges, and other small items collected in the sargasso-miscellaneous drawer in the shared desk where we pay bills and answer correspondence. I found it -- staged with some other things that didn't need to be thrown out -- so now I have two L1 pins. Still waiting for my new membership card and -- maybe -- an L2 pin.

Measured and weighed parts for my latest LPR build and built an accurate OR file for it (as accurate as possible given the nosecone and tail cone. This one will be built mostly stock, only planning on ditching the rubber shock cord.

EstesRecruiter 1.jpg

I put some wire work on my portable 12v 10 switch launch controller / field box. Got a Scout troop launch coming up in a week or so, trying to get stuff finished..
img_1170.346623

Last edited:
The two rockets on the right I've had sitting and waiting for a good time to finish them, better late than never. Last Friday I finished the 24mm, on the left. I wanted to fly it Saturday at a launch but I didn't want too loose it. There was a haze, I've learned you only fly them with clear blue sky's. I also had a 29mm I was going to fly. But as I was walking out to the car with it I stumbled. In order to keep from a complete face plant I had to get rid of the rocket. I had my first man powered lawn dart. (OK you can laugh)

Attachments

• IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 90
Back