What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
(Forgot this thread is here so I should have posted last week.)

Completed the build of an Apogee Slo Mo, in a hotel room with just wood glue, sand paper, wood filler, a bit of aluminum angle, and my pocket knife.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
Made the thrust ring for my 6" L3 custom effort.

Here is the ring removed from the stock and awaiting cleanup (remove hold down tabs and hit edges with emery cloth so I don't get cut).
First aluminum I've cut using my Shapeoko 3. Generally happy with the process and results.

ps: The image looks great while editing the entry, but when I save/post the entry it's gone. Here is a web site where it can be viewed: https://sites.google.com/view/richsl3simplerocketbuild/home
Still can't see the image (need permission).

anbhtblr

Rich@bna
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 357856

looks like you've got it sorted.

It also looks like you milled down through the plywood?

What are you'd doing for work holding?
I screwed the stock, at 4 corners, to some scrap plywood and attached that to my surfaced waste board. Since it was apparent the plywood wasn't flat, and all cuts were through, I just increased the depth to compensate. I left 0.5mm holding tabs at the cardinal points of each larger circle.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
I screwed the stock, at 4 corners, to some scrap plywood and attached that to my surfaced waste board. Since it was apparent the plywood wasn't flat, and all cuts were through, I just increased the depth to compensate. I left 0.5mm holding tabs at the cardinal points of each larger circle.
Got it. The ring looks good. Are you doing the CAM in Fusion 360?

I have a pile of supplementary/sacrificial spoil boards like that -- with cut lines from going through the stock. I got one of these

https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/collections/cnc-spoilboard-surfacing/products/6210

to face off the spoil boards. Still getting the occasional blow-through, but only when I screw up the z-height zero (or when the stock isn't flat).

I've had good success using a variation of this technique

for work holding with aluminum stock up to 6 mm thick (you can see the tape in post 19017). No tabs to cut and file.

EDIT: Just noticed that you wrote "my surfaced waste board" not "surface of my wasteboard" -- so you probably know all this stuff already.

Last edited:

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
Got working on a custom Wildman Demon yesterday and today. It's a 3"airframe with a 38mm mount. And the real custom part...5 fins! Motor mount went together yesterday as well as the vent band and av-bay. Today, I attached the first fin this morning, drilled holes for the HED and av-bay. Then I painted the NC and vent band. Fin/boattail assembly will be finished tomorrow-ish, then I'll attach airframe and get working on fillets. I'm super excited about this build since my Demon 98 gets a little pricey to launch since my rocket budget shrank when my youngest was born. This will allow me to fly my favorite rocket design on my current budget and with the 5-fin design that I love so much also. Probably won't be able to fly it until MWP, but it'll be a gorgeous one-of-a-kind bird. I'll be able to fly it on fast 29mm motors all the way through the longest 38mm motors available. Very, very excited for this one.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
Just opened this box of awesomeness!
PMdQiqcgSsaFohTx3TUEiw.jpg

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
And while I was at it...
I decided to build the Mac Performance Black Fly. I toasted my first one at URRF 5 back in June, picked up a replacement and have been sitting on it since. Breaks my heart to have to build a new one, but I love that rocket so much, it just has to be done.
20180719_132850.jpeg
20180719_132859.jpeg
20180719_132905.jpeg

anbhtblr

Rich@bna
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got it. The ring looks good. Are you doing the CAM in Fusion 360?

I have a pile of supplementary/sacrificial spoil boards like that -- with cut lines from going through the stock. I got one of these

https://www.whitesiderouterbits.com/collections/cnc-spoilboard-surfacing/products/6210

to face off the spoil boards. Still getting the occasional blow-through, but only when I screw up the z-height zero (or when the stock isn't flat).

I've had good success using a variation of this technique

for work holding with aluminum stock up to 6 mm thick (you can see the tape in post 19017). No tabs to cut and file.

EDIT: Just noticed that you wrote "my surfaced waste board" not "surface of my wasteboard" -- so you probably know all this stuff already.
Thanks for the info/techniques.

I do use double sided tape for some wood/G10 projects, but I didn't even consider it for aluminum, my bad.
I hadn't seen the tape/super-glue technique before - I'll have to keep it in mind.

As to your earlier question re software, I use QCAD for design and EstlCam for the cutting programs.

Yes - I do true-up/surface my work surfaces (usually).

Thanks again for the info.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
Finished the repairs on the Mini A Heli after it lawn-darted at this month's LPR launch.
miniahelirepair.png

The assembly instructions call for cutting three slots in the section forward of the helicopter hinges, to vent the ejection charge. These slots pretty much guarantee that the rocket will not fly again after hard nose landing.

For the replacement, these slots were replaced with three rows of 4 mm holes. The replaced section was soaked in CA to stiffen it.

It was handy to have the BT5 tube cutter that came with the kit, as well as the 13 mm motor block pusher tube to use as coupler stock for the replaced section.

I also enlarged the holes for the thread that holds the rotors down. I am not sure if the failure of the rotors to deploy on the first launch was because the thread got hung up, or if it failed to burn through on ejection. For the next launch I am thinking of using sewing elastic in place of plain cotton thread.

Creeps

Reaction score
Baffle dry.
Fins papered and tacked.
Motor mount drying in the garage.
Body tube sanded, I don't worry much about filling in the spirals.

Time to don the respirator, and get a coating of thin CA on the nose cone (kindly sourced, along with the fin set, from eRockets) of the Estes Sky Raider clone I've had on the build pile.

I'm hoping it will fly as nicely on a D12-7 as my nineteen eighties original. Which, I've put up only once since the turn of the millennium; not wanting to lose it after all these years.

Then, it's time to see what the design can do on some Aerotech propellant.
20180719_175300.jpeg
FB_IMG_1532038367101.jpeg

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got around to applying first coat of primer on my 3" BlackFly. It probably won't be fully dressed for Woosh by Sunday, but that's okay.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Built another Eggfinder today. Start to finish in less than an hour. It helps that this one is the fourth transmitter I have built this month. Three of them went into new kits we have built this summer, and this one goes into a 3" two stage rocket I bought from CJ a couple of years ago. Hoping to fly it at Airfest this year.
Wrote up a list of rockets for that launch, nine rockets, with three flying on research motors, the two stage flying on two 54mm motors, three on 75mm motors, and one 98mm motor.

G2Rockets

Reaction score
I started sanding the inside of my Av-bay so the lids will fit. I’ve been flying a lot of little H and Big G’s. Getting anywhere from 1300 to 3500 ft.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
Tried to impose some order on this nonsense
20180722_151555.png

(there is more, out the frame to the left and the right)

neil_w

Good at some things
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Cool, how far "down" is that? I have a full set of unused decals if you need scans or anything.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
49%. BT50 body and 13mm motor mount. My younger boy, Asa, took the full scale build away from me - but I scanned everything before he started. Thanks for the offer.

Edit: And a PNC-50SP, which I had handy, and I decided was close enough.

Last edited:

jqavins

Helpful Smartass
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thought better of painting, again, due to weather. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts