What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a chance to fly my new Darkstar Jr at the ROCC launch. Flew great with a CTI I345 to 3237' on this cold but clear morning. It flew in primer since it has been too cold to paint!:)

Sanded the lower BT for the Super Flash. Epoxied the rear CR in place. Once that cured I epoxied the first fin. Sitting to one side curing while I work on a "honey-do" project.

1. Reattached the broken fin on the Estes SCUD-B

2. Repaired the cracked fin on the 1980s Estes Magician that experienced a D12 cato a couple weeks ago

3. Lots of progress on the DynaStar Orion: installed motor mount, assembled, puttied and sanded the wings, and got all wings and fins glued on and filleted.

4. Reorganized and restocked the black powder motor box.

5. Went to Lowes and picked up peg board and wood screws for building display sands.

Last edited:
Another fillet on Upward Propensity.

Charged lipos for Disappearing Act.

Worked on my 4" Bluemoon II today. Got the 54mm MMT glued in, fin slots cut, fins cut out and sized, got one Altimeter mounted to the sled.
Biggest project is going to be beveling the fins, as I don't have my table saw any longer. I do have a 15" belt sander, and will probably take a
crack at it with that tomorrow. Need to get my other Altimeter mounted, switches, etc. Still need to mount the sled to the Av-Bay, Cut the bottom
off of the NC and install a short leash in the tip. Then prime, sand, (repeat numerous times) and paint. Decals when they show up.

R

I took my boys to fly some rockets at the Feb. LUNAR launch (we were parked next to 01d_dude)

[video=youtube_share;i252tdABsdU]https://youtu.be/i252tdABsdU[/video]

I only got the one launch for myself. I had a second motor, but I lost a launch lug on the above flight. I probably would have been able to find it if I had noticed it was missing when I first recovered the rocket instead of when I got back to my prep area.
The boys each got 2 flights in, plus a chance to get candy from the "Piñata Rocket." Oh, and I did a small stint at the SCO table.

I even got my wife to come out to the launch. She says she had fun, so that's progress. :)

Last edited:
Today nothing! Yesterday I launch a few, almost lost one, damaged the same rocket at the Acton, MA Winter Carnival. A good time.

Building a Richter Recker kit that has been in the build pile for several years. I am modifying it to be a night launch rocket.

Building a Richter Recker kit that has been in the build pile for several years. I am modifying it to be a night launch rocket.

I have one of those. It was my first cluster build. Looking up at all three motors burning as she climbed was almost a religious experience. Thought I was going to spontaneously start singing the national anthem.:wink: It's a great kit.

Got all the fins on my Super Flash last night. Not sure what I'll do today, if anything.

Toying with Rocksim at the moment. Tin Tin's X-FLR6 from Destination Moon. Using the nose cone and boat tail from the Estes V2. I'd like to get more into the composite motors and thought this would be an okay airframe for that foray. little over 1500 feet on an Aerotech E30T-7. Even in a stiff wind. I tried it with an F, but the chute deployment speeds were ridiculous. I need to play with it a bit more to figure out how to place fin tabs in the design for TTW fins. I'd really like to build Tin Tin's moon rocket, but I'm still trying to learn how to design those compound curved fins.
XFLR-6.jpg

Reorganized one of my small motor boxes. CTI 24grs in their tubes fit inside 38mm cases, by the way: in the 38mm 3gr, I fit both the 24 1gr and 24 3 gr --and left myself a note to remember what is where. Now to find a way to fit in another 29mm 3 gr and 4 gr case into the box --small car, have to pack everything pretty tight.

Later!

--Coop

Began to repair my wifes Interceptor E.
Started fabricating the strap on boosters (4 of nine so far) for a Delta II LP build.
Thinking about finishing the Av-Bay on my scratch MercRedstone.

Launched by rail for the first time. Put an 18 inch nylon chute in my stubby Bertha and watched it float about 500 hundred yards >.<

Aborted other launches because of the wind and did not get to use my altimeter. Wife suggested I do a test launch before putting the altimeter in. I like her. Now I got a couple rockets with 3 1/8th holes in them.

Taped off the first two fins on the Forumla 98 for filleting. But wimped out until I could read TRF threads about it again. FIOS is normally SUPERB and wickedly fast... But a cut cable has meant on/off net access for two days...

Sanded the final primer and filler base of the Gladiator. Ready for paint. If I only had some inspiration of how to paint it...

Played with Illustrator to see if I wanted to come up with my own Formula 98 vinyl. This is what I came up with... but not sure that the original is not better.

Formula 98.jpg

Last edited:
Sort of rocket related....

Coworker noticed change missing from his desk last week. I too was missing change. Brought my 808 keychain rocket camera in and caught the cleaning person scratching her butt and crotch before digging into my hot tamales and stealing $1.55 worth of change. Caught it on the 2nd day of recording.

here is the vid. I figure it is OK to post here since this is not a local site and the video is unlisted.

that's hilarious and terrible all at the same time. find a way to anonymously give her the video and write WE KNOW on a end credit or something. She'd be so embarrassed she might actually quit.

Continued my fin finishing experiment: one with "Hobbylite", one with auto primer, and one with SIG balsa sanding sealer. I'm waiting for the sealer to dry, but the Hobbylite fin came out amazing. The primer one is showing promise with less work.

I've been spending lots of time drilling and tapping holes in metal.

The first two images are of a sineplate which among other things, will be used to do fin beveling. One supports the plate with round stock (drill rod) in the grooves and elevates one edge with blocks. The hypontenuse is determined when the plate is made so one can calculate the required height for a given angle very easily using some basic trig - hence the name sine plate. The holes are on a 2"x2" grid and are tapped 3/8-16. These holes are used to clamp the workpiece to the plate and the plate to the table.

The third image is a tooling plate for my minimill. It took a month of Sundays to drill and tap 105 10-32 holes. The holes are on a 1"x1" grid. There are even more holes on the backside. It's used to hold various fixtures for cnc machining.

The last two images are of a fixture for machining the avbay bulkheads for my L3 build. It bolts to the tooling plate. The avbay blank bolts onto the fixture. I've chased most of the bugs out of the machine and I'm just about ready to cut metal.

I have a few more bits of tooling to make and then I'll actually get to start building rockets again.

sineplate01.jpg

sineplate02.jpg

tooling_plateA01.jpg

pr_cbp5_fixture01.jpg

pr_cbp5_fixture02.jpg

Last edited:
Finally broke out my new camera the Viking Princess got me for Christmas and started plowing thru the manual...yes, there WILL be a build thread-just to prove to you guys I DO have more than two rockets! Stay tuned for "The Pimp Child-or How I Spent My Summer Vacation"

Finally broke out my new camera the Viking Princess got me for Christmas and started plowing thru the manual...yes, there WILL be a build thread-just to prove to you guys I DO have more than two rockets! Stay tuned for "The Pimp Child-or How I Spent My Summer Vacation"

You have rockets?!?

Fitted the second Deuce98 fin. Removed the broken and damaged fins from my Goblin and made 2 replacements.

Back