New threads and interesting conversations directly in your inbox. Sign up now and get a daily summary of the latest forum activities!
Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BeerorKid, Jan 31, 2013.
Laminated our last fin and wrapped the motor mount tube in a Kevlar sock
So great. There should be a thread just of pics of little kids with their rockets. Impossible not to smile when seeing those!
Glassed a tail cone:
Painted my Madcow 29mm f/g Lil Goblin in fluoro pink. Over coated the nose cone with Crystal Clear Enamel. The body needs a trim coat or three of black metallic before it will be ready for clear coating.
Mounted the 1/4" Kevlar y-harness to the motor tube of my "Plan B" a 38mm f/g Lil Goblin. Building both Goblins with Aeropoxy ES6209 so there's a lot of waiting time.
Hey Kit, you can turn off the auto-correct on your IPAD. I got sick of it changing words on me and nixed it.
Good call. Just toggled it off. Didn't realize autocorrect and predictive were two seperate functions.
Went over to my Mom's to dig out some reference/research material, then practiced the fin making/shaping method that sunderll posted in the "Techniques Section".
I made and tested some sugar motors. I think I have the nozzles just about right
That's a spent 18mm in back. I'm prototyping on a small scale until I get it figured out.
Here's a couple of my next size, in the front row...
Yes, that's kitty litter. I ran it through a pepper grinder till it was dust/powder, then rammed it. Hard as a rock!
I appreciate someone who polishes their cat litter. A great deal of respect for what I assume is your pleasured feline.
That's not polished, that's just from the ramming. I used a BFH, a wood dowel, and...the rest is a secret
I'm not sure what to make of your second statement...I don't even have a cat :/
Two ready for primer and the MR ready for fillets.
Received decals from Mark over at Sticker Shock and completed my German A4b. I may add some nose art later.
Finished painting and clear-coating the Madcow 29mm f/g Lil Goblin.
Decanted Aeropoxy ES6209 into appropriately labeled condiment squeeze bottles.
More fillets on the Madcow 38mm f/g Lil Goblin (aka "Plan B") motor mount.
They say that no human ever actually flew in one IIRC, but I'de like to believe that in some super extra secret operation, one actually did.
Found this cool line drawing while digging through NACA reports as part of today's research.
Too good not to share!
Epoxy fillets on the PSII Patriot. Literally watching glue dry. Okay, for the purists, cure.
Began creating a Line Drawing for the 5" HVAR, as a decent one is apparently not readily available anywhere else.
View attachment Scan HVAR REV5.pdf
Finished the external fillets on my MDRM and prepping motors for tomorrow's club launch.
Lost a aeropack 38mm retainer set and Loki 38/480 case set, inspection of rocket appears I forgot to glue the retainer on !!!!!!
Yikes! Too bad!
Finished paint and decals on my Quinstar, and applied just a bit of brushed paint to my Odd'l Cyclone.
Now I am officially ready for spring launch season.
Too rainy to fly so did some marathon building on the ultimate wildman:
Don't worry the fillets smoothed out.
Also realized that laying out and organizing lines for a 120" parachute is a larger task than my kitchen allows. Only thing left to do is make a sled for the avbay and test the ejection charges. Yessss!
Flew some high power today. Always fun! But I killed my LOC Expediter. It used to look like this...
But now it looks like this...
Oh well, it looked damn good going up!
What motor is that? beautiful skid by the way...
Saw CZTeacherman's baby reveal launch
CATO'd a motor (24/40) on my Apogee Snarky. Fortunately it looks like the Snarky is fixable- it only blew out the thrust ring, which I don't use that much anyway.
Drag Raced CZTeacherman on our Wildman Interceptor 54's. Motor was a CTI-H143SS. My rocket is the one on the right.
That was a 38mm CTI I223. Probably my favorite motor I've launched thus far.
Did ground tests for BP charges on my RW Blue Iguana. Can't believe how far off my BP estimates were. Good thing I ground tested!
It flies tomorrow for the first time at our club field in Vermont.
How much Bp did you use? Also any shear pins?
Nice to see some Vermont rocketry happening.
It's too bad there is not a club closer to central Vermont, Barre, Montpelier area.
Calculated 0.7gr of BP for apogee test that you see here. All I heard was a "TICK". Tried 1 gram... tiny "POP" but no movement. Tried 1.25 grams and got a nice deployment. Yes, two 2-56 nylon shear pins on sustainer and another two on nose cone. For Main I calculated 0.38 grams and initially tried 1/2 gram.... NADA. Tried .75 gram......"TICK". Tried 1 Gram and got a decent deployment but not full extension. Frankly I was afraid to use more for fear of blowing a hole in the thin wall glass payload tube.
I flew the Blue Iguana for the first time today using 1.25 gr. for Apogee and 1 gram for Main as tested. Nice apogee deployment but no shear pin breakage on the nose, so no main chute. Good thing I used an 18" drogue at apogee! Sustainer landed more or less flat, nose cone with payload tube attached stuck in the frozen ground and then bounced out. THUNK! Sheared the thin wall nosecone clear off it's coupler but no other damage not even a scratch. It was only 30 degrees today. Wonder if the shear pins got cold-hardened. Next Time I use 1.25 grams and maybe only 1 shear pin. Again I can not believe how much powder is needed for a 2.6" diameter tube with an internal length of only 9.5" mostly filled with a chute and Kevlar.
Separate names with a comma.