What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're using an actual rotisserie motor, then sure it can handle the leg, as long as it's well balanced on the shaft. That's what that motor is made for. But it might depend on what you're using for the bearings. that support the spit.

Sincerely yours,
Taking this silly idea way to seriously.​

Started to work on a design for a potential L1 cert rocket. I'm sure conventional wisdom is to just get a kit, but I'm really keen on making my own design. No L1 kits really caught my attention anyway.
Congratulations on striking your own path. Personally I think it's a good thing to scratch build a cert rocket. At a minimum, it means you have real understanding of your rocket.
Yay for scratch build cert rockets!
Indeed.

Noticed a dental vacuum forming machine on the shelf in a coworker's office. He picked it up at an equipment auction for about $3 with no plans for it other than thinking it was cool for the price.

Now I'm trying to decide what nose cones to try making first.

Who's going to do a Bandit, or an Enerjet?

Gooniefy all the things...

I guess a proper-length PNC-60L would be a good starting point and probably reasonably amenable to vacuum forming.

Last edited:
Spent much of this morning and some of last night conducting on-line searches using Google maps, Google Street-view and the Electricity peoples "Look Up and Live" map of power lines to identify possible alternate launch sites for the club.

Searching southwards from the current site at Cedar Grove, QLD down to the outskirts of Beaudesert, QLD. Multiple locations identified that need initial investigation on ownership and the processes that will need to flow from there.

Headed out to Ft. Lupton, CO. for the CRASH launch. Only had two launches today, because it was so hot, but we made the most of them.

1. Mrs. Frogglicker's 4-in Pink Crayon, for her Level 1 attempt - I finally nailed drilling the delay on a DMS H169, as it went off just as the nose went horizontal at over 1500 ft. All checked out and now the wife is Level 1 and can buy me motors (with my money, of course)!

2. Nuke Duke'm Extreme - BT60 scratch scale-up of the LOC Big Nuke. This was the maiden flight of the Nuke, which flew ~790 ft on an E30. The nosecone separated. I lost the body, but a club member helped me recover the nosecone, including the altimeter. Even though I lost the rocket's body, this was a great success. I have a few other scratch kits from the Extreme series to shakedown, so it was nice to get this in the air.

20240615_111205.jpg447753180_1129291468377429_6855484981713593870_n.jpg
448450226_264645120042666_4710031709750584601_n.png

447761453_756888856657097_5349300842049624971_n.jpgScreenshot_20240615-203333_Gallery.jpg

This morning we hosted the first ever launch day for the Otago Rocketry Club. The ground was a bit boggy, but the sun was out and there wasn't a breath of wind. We had around 20 people show up and flew approximately 20 flights across the 11 rockets. Unfortunately, one of the rockets ended up in the river on its maiden, but that was the only loss.

It was a great morning with an enthusiastic group of people, and hopefully cemented the start of a great club.

Oh, and I built most of an Estes Supernova.

Adding another silly one, built an 18mm spool. Why? Because We happened to be throwing out some small wire spools at work that had 19mm inner diameter that seemed too close to perfect.

Shimmed with a piece of crushed body tube cut and glued back together, and a section of spent motor casing that I removed a little of the inside of in order to make a motor block.

Total investment, $0 (excluding glue) and about 10min.

Attachments

• 20240616_211756.jpg
    20240616_211756.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back