What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after about 2 months and several prototypes the 3" Blackfly av bay is finally completed. Initial electronics have been tested and now time to move on to the vacuum chamber testing. This is my first av bay build.

I've included couple of pics of the av bay, nice and compact! Ended up using the RRC2+ and a RRC2L for the electronics.

I did have a little supervision and advice by the little guys on this build. LOL

Attachments

• 3in Av Bay1.JPG
    3in Av Bay1.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 3in Av Bay2.JPG
    3in Av Bay2.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 1
A blast from the past.

Clearing out a box of non-rocketry stuff I came across this: My take on the Manned Orbital Laboratory, carbon dated to 2009 approx.

IMG_2356.jpg

Note the following...

1. Early penchant for stubby rockets

2. Butt ugly

3. Complete and utter disregard for CG/CP relationship

4. Semroc Mercury Capsule (#KM-2) as I didn’t have a Gemini one

IMG_2362.jpg

5. Full length BT-20 stuffer tube

6. Not so high quality inkjet body wrap on BT-60 main tube

IMG_2358.jpg

7. Funky fins pretending to be solar panels

8. Dr Zooch MK II inspired engine bell

9. High cost corrugations for ‘I’m a scale model’ effect

10. Reverse transition around the engine bell to expose more of its shape

IMG_2359.jpg

It had one, and only one, outing that could laughingly be called a ‘flight’. It left the rod and cart wheeled in the air for a short while (1/1,000,000th of a second) before plummeting to the ground under thrust for a high G landing.

Gave it a bit of a clean and re-glue in places. Some interesting ideas in it, but it’s back into storage you go. No really practical way to get nose weight in there without cutting the NC transition.

Back to real work now.

Last edited:
As I've never "clustered" before, so to try to get read for the maiden flight next month of "Fluster Cluck", I searched the forum for info on how to connect cluster ignitors for my composite E20s intended to be used. Found several entries, but nothing specific yet, and still confused.

Prepped for Red Glare. Went through a bunch of recovery setups, did some Bondo sanding, finished a repair I started months ago, and changed some flight plans based on the current weather forecast. I wish the Sunday weather would switch with Saturday.

No really practical way to get nose weight in there without cutting the NC transition.
Well, you could, but you pretty clearly don't care to for this one.

As I've never "clustered" before, so to try to get read for the maiden flight next month of "Fluster Cluck", I searched the forum for info on how to connect cluster ignitors for my composite E20s intended to be used. Found several entries, but nothing specific yet, and still confused.
"How" physically, or in the electrical sense? If I remember right, Fluster Cluck is two or three engines. Connect them in parallel. There is an argument in favor of series, but the general consensus is that the argument in favor of parallel is stronger.

If you mean physically, it depends a little on how far apart the engines are and the igniters you're using. Are the igniters' tails long enough to reach each other? If so, twist ends together and clip the launch system leads to the twisted bundles. Done. If not, you'll need a "cluster whip", which is a collection of wire pairs, each pair being like the end of the launch system wires, with the parallel arrangement made in those pairs. Each pair goes to one igniter.

If you'll have a punchy enough launch system, like a club launcher, you're good to go. If you have a small system like an Electron Beam, and it's just two engines, then make sure your batteries are brand new for that flight and you should be good. With three engines and brand new batteries, mmm, probably OK. More than that and you'll need something more. But, I repeat, with a club launcher you won't have a problem.

Last edited:
My Bullet Bobby is done. Poured water on my other one and it GREW. Test flight on the smaller one, I'm hoping next weekend. The XXL, I'm still thinking of a good first flight motor for it.

Attachments

• 0325232005.jpg
    0325232005.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • received_748997810136149.jpeg
    received_748997810136149.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 0
  • received_1215443279083051.jpeg
    received_1215443279083051.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0319231126a.jpg
    0319231126a.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0319231126b.jpg
    0319231126b.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 0319231127.jpg
    0319231127.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • received_1705139639918808.jpeg
    received_1705139639918808.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 0
Which version is that?

A 5, C, I think, with the same 'science payload' I built for my Improved Malemute. I made a nozzle extension for this one, like a number of the BBIX have. The extension is actually coupler with a 38mm motor retainer glued inside. I can take it off and fly it as a more normal BBV on a Nike for the BBVIII.

What is the double cone? How is made? Looks 3D???? If it was, how will it survive sustainer ignition?

Looks great BTW. Did you document the build... just curious.
On the Terrier interstage? Yes, that's 3D printed. And I think it will handle the separation charge just fine. Especially as it will have a cardboard 3" coupler inside it at the time.

It's my take on the interstage when it has to adapt to the high altitude nozzle extension. Like on the DEUCE flight.
https://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2...ng-rocket-probes-the-dark-regions-of-space-1/
And did I document it? Ummm, I guess I have photos of the different steps. I'm not sure I have enough for a good build thread.

Finished “furnishing” my av bay, getting ready for ground testing tomorrow. And it appears I’ve been bit by the reload bug, and I might be buying another case, which I haven’t even used the one I have. But a good deal is a good deal, and a 35 (or 26 with pre-order) dollar H motor is very enticing…

This weekend was Kloudburst and the Argonia Cup Challenge. The rules changed to require a two-stage flight to a minimum of 9000 feet.
Saturday was cool with light winds. I got to meet @Wayco and his lovely wife, Sharon

wayco.jpg
(I'm the ugly one on the left).

I flew the port-o-potty on an E14 again. Great flight. I don't think anyone flew in the Cup Challenge on Saturday. The SWOSU team didn't because of troubles with their drone.

Sunday was cooler and windier. SWOSU gave up on trying to fly with a drone to deliver the golf ball to the target. The first flight was a failure. The motor CATOed. The case split in half about 2/3 of the way between aft and forward closure. No idea why. Fortunately, the team was prepared and was able to prep another rocket. This one was a beautiful flight. There was a moment of suspense between booster burnout and 2nd stage ignition, wondering if the upper stage would light. A LOT of teams had upper stage ignition failures. The 2nd stage went out of sight quickly. That's not too awfully high for these old eyes. The wind was out of the north. The booster was recovered about 3/4 mile to the south, obviously carried there by the wind. What surprised me was that the upper stage was recovered 2.4 miles *north* of the launch site. The parachute had come out on this stage at apogee, rather than at a lower altitude as programmed into the altimeter. *This* is why we have radio GPS tracking!

To jump to the point, at 7:00pm, SWOSU was declared the winner. They were the only team to satisfy the rules of the competition. Other teams flew, but couldn't stage. Others flew and staged, but couldn't find the parts of their rocket. Some just ran out of time when the waiver closed and they couldn't launch. (heard after one team did a non-deployment recovery - "even King Arthur couldn't pull that one out!".)

I want to give a big "Thank You" to the vendors and other contributors that made this a great competition, and especially to Kloudbusters for hosting it. Can't wait until next year!

Forgot to mention above...

A wonderful lady (and part-time minion of satan), Sarah Jane makes salsa and sells it in Argonia, and at the major launches at the Rocket Pasture. I got this t-shirt and a chicken salad sandwich from her. The minion of satan comment is from the habanero salsa. My tongue is still burning from last year (and another body part...).

sj1.jpg
sj2.jpg

Back