What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some clear on a couple of rockets -- SpeedoKote, never used it before but so far I like it. Haven't used my paint guns in years and I'm sure they weren't set up correctly, but no runs so I'll take it. I'll be wet sanding and polishing it after giving it a few days to set up.

photo_2023-03-19_20-53-49.jpgphoto_2023-03-19_20-53-48.jpg

Lots & lots of rocket and trip prep. Avionics bay is done & configured, all the holes & mounts are done...the rocket's ready except for spraying some high temp coatings and doing ground testing. Working on a new launch tower now.

I looked over at the quest future launch vehicle model (mk2) that’s been sitting on my workbench for months now as I headed out through the garage on my way to work this morning. It’s about 80% done. I really should get around to finishing it.

Launched from the (RC) plane in flight? Yes, I know, bad idea, against the safety code, for good reasons. But it sure would be cool!
I haven't stopped thinking about this. If the plane is in a vertical climb, within the allowed declination for launch (30°) then would it be against the code? People talk about launching from a balloon platform, so why not an RC plane platform?

I assume that most RC planes can't do vertical climbs. Even if I'm wrong in that assumption, this would need one that can do it even with the rocket as payload weight. But I bet it'd be possible.

My kids call it the "Big Chungus". Simulated w/ 2.6" LOC tube and 29mm LOC MM and 1/8" plywood (although my prototype is only 2mm plywood and BT-80 tube). Looks like it should fly on an F or G-motor w/ 8oz in nose (below sim estimates is for a G76-4).

1679435186411.png 1679435035160.png
1679435419765.png

Attachments

• 1679435017917.png
    1679435017917.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reconfigured a pair of Quantums to use a single battery apiece instead of using separate deployment batteries, simply to gain space in an overly cramped avbay.

Mounted switch board in avbay, drilled holes in the bay, then marked the body tube for holes I still need to drill.

Continuity-checked a bunch of ematches. Cut wiring to size on a few for charges.

Waiting for Customer to start up, had time to cut mat board into centering rings and fin templates. Used the templates on 1/8" Basswood to make fins for 2 rockets. Builds will have to wait a week or so.

Started cutting fin slots to make a new lower section for the Possum Express. The next few days are supposed to be warm, so it will be off to the garage to pour epoxy!

Epoxied the motor mount into the Estes Interceptor I have been tinkering with while waiting for painting weather and time to do more intensive steps.

Back