What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
worked with a friend who does woodworking on the shelves for my new trailer. He cut all new fronts and backs, while i sanded the dividers and sides. 6 passes per slat, 700 slats, 2100 passes at 15 inches each, 31,500 inches or 2,625 feet or almost a half a mile. My shoulders hurt.

• Sanded primer on the replacement BT60 portion of the sustainer for the Extreme 12
  • Sanded primer on the OD scratch 3x18mm Elliptical Anger
  • Tried to figure out a layout for my GSE in a 'Pelican like' case rather than a paper bag :)

Last edited:
Arrived home to see what looked like a package of gin at the front door. Disappointed, as it was too light for gin. It was in fact the TB3 kit from via Cape Byron Rocketry, from Radical Rocketry. So, not disappointed.

Well, at least you're sober and not disappointed. 🤔

Got the bass wood fins sanded an mounted on the AMRAAM, working on fillets now.
Added some self adhesive rubber insulation tape, from where the pipe insulation comes from in lowes, to my stand. Works great to protect paint. avoid sliding around, an many more uses i"m sure.

Attachments

• IMG_4217.JPEG
    IMG_4217.JPEG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I just epoxied the motor mount of the Bullet Bobby XXL into the body tube. Waiting for that to set. Then moving on to epoxying the fins into place. Although wood glue was suggested, I decided to use epoxy throughout the build. I like my rockets built strong.

Went out launching yesterday with the TARC team. It wasn't our best day ever. Their second launch, the rocket took a sharp turn off the pad and landed in the river. The upper body tube was recovered fairly quickly (altimeter still beeping!), but the fin can drifted 1.5 miles downriver before we managed to bring it to shore with the extending pole. Most of the parts are carbon fiber or plastic, so it should be fine to launch again.

Later on, I launched one of a dwindling number of G250s I have left. Up was great to 1550 feet, but I apparently overdid it on the ejection charge. The doors got blown off of the JLCR (internals never found) and my Eggtimer Apogee survived fine, but the 3D printed case broke. All other parts were recovered safely. Here are a couple of consecutive frames of video. Scaling by the height of the rocket and 30 fps, it was going about 225 ft/s off the rail.
1674518194120.png 1674518233956.png

I finished the CAD model of an ebay sled that will eventually be 3D printed for one of my 4-inch-diameter scratch-built projects. It's dual redundant with an EasyMega and TeleMega, and will have a mount for my GoPro as well.
1674532463268.png1674532495843.png1674532530084.png

• Sold several vintage orthoscopic telescope eyepieces and translated them into Apogee Quick Draw and Flying Machine plus the other two quick change motor mounts. Will I miss the eyepieces? A little, but as long as I have my Televue 2-4mm zoom and Televue 3 to 6mm zoom, probably not so much in practice. And there is more to sell. For example:
  • An unused telescope mount adaptor plate netted me both Radical Rocketry T-Birds... the real one and the we are go one... they arrived.
  • Stood down the Formula 98 on a J500 in exchange for my Flamethrower on 2 E12-6's for next weekend.
  • Sim'd over and over again the Solar Sailer II.IV looking for what I should use... decided a CTI G pink. And maiden an Eggtimer Classic (built like a year or more ago and never used) for apogee (motor backup) and cable cutter duties... Virgin rocket, virgin electronics, what could go wrong?

I got a little bit of work done on my dual-deploy project. I installed copper shear plates inside the top section of body tube.

shear.jpg

I know you build cool rockets, why is this in the freezer?

freezer.jpg

The nosecone was a fairly tight fit onto the body tube after the shear plates were installed. I was concerned that cold temps might close up the fit and make it really tight. Nope, in fact it feels slightly looser. Have to wait a few months and see what heat does.

Back