What did you do rocket wise today?

krislhull

Reaction score
Discovered that a 38/1080 case WILL fit in my 2” Frenzy… had to swap out the original drogue with a thin mill Top Flight to make it work, but the case barely fits with room for the drogue and harness… One more item checked off for Sod Blaster in a few weeks.

Trying to get as much prepped as I can before I head back to work next week. When I get home from this upcoming work rotation, I’ll have just one day before I load up the car and head to the Tri Cities.

hobie1dog

Subaholic
Reaction score
We went to Charlotte and picked up the 7 free rockets and 11 motors from John. the rockets are going to need some work as there are some things broken off and most all of them need new paint jobs.

Last edited:

rharshberger

Reaction score
Discovered that a 38/1080 case WILL fit in my 2” Frenzy… had to swap out the original drogue with a thin mill Top Flight to make it work, but the case barely fits with room for the drogue and harness… One more item checked off for Sod Blaster in a few weeks.

Trying to get as much prepped as I can before I head back to work next week. When I get home from this upcoming work rotation, I’ll have just one day before I load up the car and head to the Tri Cities.
On a 2" Frenzy ditch the drogue and use a very long mylar streamer, much easier to pack and spot....mwahahaha.....

DarthMuffin

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Epoxy wipedown on the Mach 2 carbon fiber. I think one more wipe on the fins, then wet sand and polish. Currently outside in the heat curing. Also chucked the aluminum tip in the drill press to polish it, and did some testing on the tracking system. BALLS here I come!epoxy wipe.jpg

krislhull

Reaction score
On a 2" Frenzy ditch the drogue and use a very long mylar streamer, much easier to pack and spot....mwahahaha.....
If I had one, I would! If Scott or Bob have one in their trailers at the launch, I might buy one… but I’m using a neon pink thin mill drogue…

russell_t

Reaction score
Today I visited the "new" hobby store, Salem Hobby Shop, near my home here in Virginia. It had opened in 1963 as Crossroads Hobbies and Crafts, a family-run business in nearby Roanoke. The store moved to its Salem location around 1988. After nearly 60 years in business, Crossroads closed this past April... but last month, the store reopened as Salem Hobby Shop. I met several of the employees today and purchased an Estes Star Orbiter while I was there.
It's great to see the "Open" sign powered on again!

Salem_Hobby_Shop.png

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Received my Riv-Nut setter with collection of riv-nuts. Chose the M4 to use with rail buttons. Tested it out on an old piece of LOC 4" coupler tube. Firmly attaches, no signs of weakness. Should allow me to retrofit rail buttons on projects that I've overlooked installing hardpoints before final assembly. (This includes my LOC Goblin, AMW FiberMax, Cherokee H, MDRM, and LOC Nuke Pro Maxx. Yeah, I kinda rushed a bit.)

cls

Reaction score
Rocket wise... Went to Ace Hardware to buy a set of metric hex wrenches so I can change the blade I broke on an old Ryobi scroll saw my dad gave me 25 years ago, so I can cut out the fins for a 3" Mrs Der Red Max my GF is putting together.

Sorry about the run on sentence there.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Received my Riv-Nut setter with collection of riv-nuts. Chose the M4 to use with rail buttons. Tested it out on an old piece of LOC 4" coupler tube. Firmly attaches, no signs of weakness. Should allow me to retrofit rail buttons on projects that I've overlooked installing hardpoints before final assembly. (This includes my LOC Goblin, AMW FiberMax, Cherokee H, MDRM, and LOC Nuke Pro Maxx. Yeah, I kinda rushed a bit.)
Cool to hear! Do you have any scrap fiberglass to try it on? I'm fairly new to FG filament wound kits and don't know how they would fare with something so hard and somewhat conical. I'd be thrilled if it works well!!!

Either way, great that it works for you in your application!

Sandy.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Cool to hear! Do you have any scrap fiberglass to try it on? I'm fairly new to FG filament wound kits and don't know how they would fare with something so hard and somewhat conical. I'd be thrilled if it works well!!!

Either way, great that it works for you in your application!

Sandy.
Hmmm....give me about 30 minutes and I'll see if I can dig up a piece of fiberglass to try it on. I think I have a bulkhead plate to use in an experiment. I'll post pictures of both tests.

EDIT: Might take longer. Can't find the fiberglass piece.

Last edited:

NateB

Reaction score
I assembled my Ender 3 this afternoon. YouTube videos are your friend, the included instructions are something else. I leveled the bed and now it is printing a test file. Hopefully further tweaks are minimal and I can print out a few small rocket bits. No build thread for this one.

PSX_20220813_223407.jpg

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm....give me about 30 minutes and I'll see if I can dig up a piece of fiberglass to try it on. I think I have a bulkhead plate to use in an experiment. I'll post pictures of both tests.

EDIT: Might take longer. Can't find the fiberglass piece.

I'm mainly afraid it would try to deform a round tube when pulling in. I should just give it a try to find out instead of asking you to look for scrap. . .

Hopefully, I'll report back tomorrow!

Sandy.

jmasterj

Low and slow
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Finally going to sleep after spending the last 3.5 hours packing for the MDRA launch tomorrow (well, today now). Got lots of rockets to fly between me and my two sons. Looks like excellent weather!

berlinetta

Reaction score
Photos??? Launch report???
I didn't take any photos, but there are a couple that were taken of my Big Bertha on a B4-4. When it's posted, I'll post it here. The wind was up and down all day. My Wizard on an A8-3, was perfect, my Flis Kits Flea on an A8-3 landed right next to me. Big Bertha was a beautiful flight. My LOC HyoerLOC 835 mini missile suffered some damage due to the payload section slamming back into the main body. Going to try and fix it, if not, then I'll retire it. If I can fix it, I'll add extra shockcord. My last flight was my Big Daddy, built by Gary Tortora, on a D12-5.... spectacular flight and recovery.

hobie1dog

Subaholic
Reaction score
I cleaned the dirt and grime off the 7 rockets I got yesterday, the paper towels were brown. I threw 1 rocket away, and thinking of tossing 2 more as they are in such bad shape. I'll likely put them in a box and take them to a launch and give them away there. All the parachutes and shock cords are toast and every one of them need painting. :(