What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son and I just finished up prepping a few things to fly tomorrow. Silo will get its first flight and hopefully I have the courage to send the Saturn V up on the E20-4 that's in it.

NCR SA-14 Archer finished today still have to mount the retainer and a few coats of Pledge Revive polish.

IMG-5892-2.jpg

IMG-5897-2.jpg

IMG-5900-2.jpg

IMG-5899-2.jpg

IMG-5903-2.jpg
I like the unique design with long body fins !
... what do you use to put on/spray the Pledge ?....

My son and I just finished up prepping a few things to fly tomorrow. Silo will get its first flight and hopefully I have the courage to send the Saturn V up on the E20-4 that's in it.
If it's the 1:100 version, I have flown mine on an "F" motor ... makes for a great flight (as long as your construction is solid...)
I also changed the 2x18" main parachutes for 3x12"...more like the original...

Cut out a new fwd external ring (150mm OD, 134mm ID) from the 18mm plywood sheet I made up from off-cuts. I had it sitting weighted down for a week to ensure a good bond and no warping. A bit more fettling on the ID and then will need to be epoxied onto the top of the Thales Starstreak booster.

New Ring cut.jpg

Yes, but the question was:

I.e., how do you apply it?
I prefer a foam applicator soaked in the product using a vertical up and down motion the product is self-leveling and a little goes a long way. Only one pass is needed dry's in 20min then add the second coat. No more spray can clear coating for me...unless I'm going for a matte finish. I like to wait a week to let the decals adhere before applying.

13 low-power flights this morning. All successful recoveries. One minor fin break on a Viking. Saturn V not quite stable. I think the Boyce fins cost me more in stability than expected and the slug of nose weight still wasn't enough. Still, E20 gave it enough altitude to get the chutes open in plenty of time.

Some highlights.

Flew the silo for the first time. C11-3. Perfect. Three farm animals also recovered safely.

IMG_9292.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

Baby Daddy and Goblin got nice rides on C6-5s.

IMG_9304.jpg
IMG_9309.jpg

Goony Kraken had perfect flights on a D12-5 and D22-7 Q-Jet.

IMG_9322.jpg

The old Alien Space Probe got a nice high flight on an E12-6. JLCR at 200' means very easy recovery.

And, I had the wrong cord for my external mic so I got no sound in the video. But, wanted to try a 29mm BP motor in the recently built DBRM that I kept close to stock. Very nice, even though it sure doesn't get too high. Definitely going to get some F15s for this. That was fun.

13 low-power flights this morning. All successful recoveries. One minor fin break on a Viking. Saturn V not quite stable. I think the Boyce fins cost me more in stability than expected and the slug of nose weight still wasn't enough. Still, E20 gave it enough altitude to get the chutes open in plenty of time.

Some highlights.

Flew the silo for the first time. C11-3. Perfect. Three farm animals also recovered safely.

View attachment 520579

View attachment 520577

Baby Daddy and Goblin got nice rides on C6-5s.

View attachment 520576
View attachment 520574

Goony Kraken had perfect flights on a D12-5 and D22-7 Q-Jet.

View attachment 520570

The old Alien Space Probe got a nice high flight on an E12-6. JLCR at 200' means very easy recovery.

And, I had the wrong cord for my external mic so I got no sound in the video. But, wanted to try a 29mm BP motor in the recently built DBRM that I kept close to stock. Very nice, even though it sure doesn't get too high. Definitely going to get some F15s for this. That was fun.

Awesomeness!

I prefer a foam applicator soaked in the product using a vertical up and down motion the product is self-leveling and a little goes a long way. Only one pass is needed dry's in 20min then add the second coat. No more spray can clear coating for me...unless I'm going for a matte finish. I like to wait a week to let the decals adhere before applying.
To each his own...we all find what works for our situation !😉

Did a little more work on my 24mm miss Riley. Sanded down part of the body tube to give the epoxy something better to adhere to and got the fin can installed. Managed to drip epoxy on my shirt in the process.

Realized that the 3d printed thrust ring / shock cord anchor has wandered off my workbench. Not a big deal, I probably have spare Estes rings somewhere. If not I can always cut a ring off a spent motor and use that.

We drove down to the Texas Shootout in Seymour. Just got back, worn out. More, plus pix tomorrow.

I bought these... hope it was not an expensive way to destroy a bunch of rockets... With the cost of engines these days I thought it was worth the chance...

View attachment 520538
I had some motors just like yours. I picked up that same bulk pack at a launch at some point recently and have been slowly working through them for a while. I've had 100% success with all of mine. I also had some of those Cobra D11-P left over from some rocket gliders which have worked so far as well. Good luck with yours!

Do you know what date these were made? I'm interested to know how old my D11-P motors are. And if so, where is the date? I didn't see any dates on the packaging and I couldn't determine a date from the code on the motor.

Built my first Eggtimer Apogee unit! I gave it 50% survival rate halfway thru. A crappy old 30 watt iron, no magnifier and an old headlamp didn't exactly set the stage. Then I dropped the smallest component in the package and looked for 15 minutes on the floor, finding every screw, nut, dead horse and shavings brushed off the bench and wire ends I've ever clipped off for the last century. Then I found it. Gave the unit a 25% chance of success before I chucked it and went to a full size dual deploy board. Somehow, given the five thumbs, one good eye and a bad attitude, it came thru! It's really ugly, but fully functional. If Cris can get me the easy mounts before LDRS, I'll fly it with a JLCR.

We got to the TNT Shootout later than we had hoped. We had to park at the far south end of the flight line. I had no cell service to contact anyone. Sorry I missed everyone I had hoped to meet up with. There was very little rocketry going into the air, but lots of "bench launches". It was just too windy. In the afternoon, I pulled my kite out and tried to at least fly it. That didn't go well either. I tried to put gloves on once I had it in the air, and dropped the line. It made it about half way to the other end of the flight line when a nice lady ran out and caught it (Cathy?). The line apparently caught in the lanyard holding her badge and nicked the line. It broke the next time I tried to fly it, and the kite tried to head for Okla. and points north, by rolling. One of the guys chased it down on a 4 wheeler. The wind was so strong, the kite was in danger of breaking just from wind stress so I gave up. We finnished the day with some great food, and a view of a storm across the sunset. Sorry there aren't more pictures, I pulled a muscle in my calf, and have trouble walking. The broken ground made it even worse. I really feel it this morning.

tex1.jpg
tex2.jpg
tex3.jpg
tex4.jpg

Last edited:
Built my first Eggtimer Apogee unit! I gave it 50% survival rate halfway thru. A crappy old 30 watt iron, no magnifier and an old headlamp didn't exactly set the stage. Then I dropped the smallest component in the package and looked for 15 minutes on the floor, finding every screw, nut, dead horse and shavings brushed off the bench and wire ends I've ever clipped off for the last century. Then I found it. Gave the unit a 25% chance of success before I chucked it and went to a full size dual deploy board. Somehow, given the five thumbs, one good eye and a bad attitude, it came thru! It's really ugly, but fully functional. If Cris can get me the easy mounts before LDRS, I'll fly it with a JLCR.

That sounds a lot like my experience, except I had a lot higher opinion of my abilities. Had. I've got carpet where I tried assembling the board. I lost two of those flyspeck caps before getting one soldered down (Thanks for the extras, Chris!). Did a test with a vacuum cleaner, and it fired off the ematch. Had hoped to try it this weekend, but those plans were blown away.

Last edited:
Back