What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What altitudes did you get on these flights? Nice area you have.
The zephyr was around 1430ft
The doorknob got around 800ft
I plan to try and push them all alittle higher but those were nice flights so Iam happy with that lol
Metra rocket club in New York was really nice super large location very clean and nice people takes me about 1-1/2 hours to get there which is not to bad at all . I am always up for alittle car ride. Lol

Put a 2nd layer of carbon in my 3" shipping tube coupler for my S-75 Divina project. Also did a light sand on the 1st coat of primer on my mini Higgs Farm, followed by some filler for the spirals. Don't mind the booster stage mock up! Oh and both are set up to handle E-motors.

PXL_20210811_004411473.jpg

Last edited:
I finished the project I had been working on. I liked my 2.6" Nike Smoke so much that that I decided to make a 3" one. This one has a 38mm x 15" mmt. It is 69" long and weighs 68 ounces with the chutes. It is dual deploy. Like it's smaller brother I used a paper mache cone. It was 13.5" by 5" when I got it. I cut an inch and a half off the bottom so that I had an inch overhang. I then put a 5/16th threaded rod in it and 5 ounces of BB's with an ounce of JB Clear Weld 5 minute epoxy. Then I added a bulk head and an eye nut. I made the nose cone angle with Fix It epoxy clay. I rolled the epoxy into small snakes and wrapped them around the base of the cone. I rough shaped it with a wet tool. Once I had the correct angle I wiped the clay with a wet sponge and let it dry. Then I sanded it smooth. After that I put multiple coats of thinned Elmer's CWF on the cone, sanding between coats. Once I got it smooth it was prime and paint. It is not to any scale. But it is recognizable as a Nike Smoke. I'm calling it Might Smoke Too. I also made progress on my new project. It's primed and will be ready for paint in the morning. After that it's time to assemble the pieces and add a the finishing touches.20210810_211529[962].jpg20210811_032943[963].jpg

Got a TLP Bullpup AGM12-C Plan Pak from Uncle Mike's a week ago.
This is the variant with the funky fins.
Parts from erockets came in yesterday.
So I cut the tubes to size and trimmed the centering rings to fit.
Slight mod to the plan pack, it calls for a 3.5" main airframe that you scratch build from heavy paper.
The kit lists a 3.75" diameter airframe and slightly longer length than the plan pack.
Since I'm lazy I'm not scratching the 3.5" tube, but bought a BT-100 3.75" tube instead.
0811210924[1].jpg

This is one big puppy!
1628718958936.png

I fought the MD humidity this morning and did some priming on my Doorknob build. The results were about what you would expect in this weather, so I'll spare everyone pictures. I'm hopeful that the Christmas flocking will sand down well later in the afternoon!

Sanded the primer on the new tube for the crashed Big Bertha. Still need to get a nose cone. I'll get it from BMS. They are $5.50 for a plastic one. I also sanded the first coats of paint on my current project because it came out a little rough.

Received my first Eggtimer kit (the classic), and considering whether to do a build thread in the electronics section. I've done a little basic soldering of switch leads at this point, but my goal is to git gud enough to build the complete Eggfinder GPS system for my level 3 rocket. This is not the only thing I did today, but the rest is in my build threads and there's more to come.

20210813_161636.jpg

I've done a little basic soldering of switch leads at this point, but my goal is to git gud enough to build the complete Eggfinder GPS system for my level 3 rocket.
I've done a lot of basic soldering over the years. (Not so much lately.) Components into PCBs with and without plated through holes, small gauge wiring with a small iron, larger gauge wiring with a larger iron, and even larger wiring out in the woods with a Bernzo torch. I've done cut-and-jumps on circuit boards, piggy backed one RAM chip over another except for the data in and data out pins, which are bent up for attachment of flying leads (to do the lower case mod to a TRS-80 for a friend). I've replaced broken pins from ROMs that held expensive software. I've been known to solder two wires together end to end holding a wire and the iron in one hand, and the other wire and the solder in the other, in mid air. (Thumb and forefinger hold one thing while pinky and ring finger hold the other.)

I say all this not to brag, but to lead to this: those and-sized SMT components still give me pause. I plan to buy an SMT practice kit, such as this one, then buy some Egg Timer kits.

Haven't actually touched my rockets in weeks, but I did visit The Rocketry Forum, and ordered a replacement decal sheet from Estes for my Bullpup (the one that came with the kit got damaged what I accidentally got oil on the paper backing). Eventually I'll get back to building again; Lord knows I have enough kits to last me the next 10 years! 🤣

Latest posts

Back