What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put another scale sounding rocket up. A bit off the beaten path for this one: a Nike Recruit.

C0A259F2-DB76-4162-A526-202A0CBA003B.jpeg

A CTI H175 to CTI E31 for a first flight on the conservative side. Great, straight flight with no coning of the Recruit. The photos of the original I’ve seen appear to have no fins, and what I believe is a vacuum nozzle extension. I modeled it as a ‘cone fin’. The paper version I built and flew low power coned a bit. This version (a modded WildChild) must have liked the speed it got from the booster.

I epoxied some BB's and a 5/16th threaded rod into my scratch built nose cone for my current project. And put primer on it. At sunset I flew my Big Bertha on a G40 to about 1400'. Lost sight of it in the gathering glom. I didn't see it come down. I thought Oh Oh, it must have come back ballistic. It wasn't a lost rocket I was afraid of it was the chute release and altimeter 3 I wanted back. Grabbed my head light and my spotlight and tried to follow the last bit of flight path I saw. About 300" into the sage there it was in an open area on the path I was taking. Chute didn't get out of the tube. That rocket has flown more than any other I have. Never a problem. I cut the crushed tube off and will rebuild it. We have the technology to make it bigger and faster but no bionic eye. And it won't cost $6 Million to fix it.

Fly the Fleet cont.... Yesterday I flew two rockets at Bong with the Tripoli Wisconsin club. 1st rocket was my level two rocket from 15 years ago. It is a BSD Thor. 4" in diameter, 85" tall, dual deploy. It weighs 8.5 lbs loaded with a Cesaroni J280 Smoky Sam motor. It flew to 2700' The main came out at 500' Perfect flight, easy recovery. This will be the last flight for my Thor. It's just worn out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210807_102558762.jpg
    IMG_20210807_102558762.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 6
The 2nd rocket was a LOC Wolverine. 5.56" in diameter, 55" tall, single deploy. It weighs 6.2 lbs, loaded with a Aerotech I215R 7sec. delay. It flew to 1300' Good flight, easy recovery.

Attachments

• IMG_20210807_112855287.jpg
    IMG_20210807_112855287.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 6
Fly the Fleet. May 2021. I flew all Crayon Rockets. A 6" blue crayon. Nice flight, it came in ballistic. A 4" blue crayon, flew great, floated away. A short, stubby 6" crayon. Good flight, recovered. A 4" Pink Crayon rocket. Flew well and recovered.

Attachments

• 20210403_114549.jpg
    20210403_114549.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2
Big day, even though I didn’t get started until 3:30pm. Painted the red and yellow fins on the WM MGM-52 Lance. Put clear coat on the LOC 4” Goblin. Prepped the AV bays for the WM 5” Goblin and 4” Wild Thing Extreme. Glued the grains in a K1000T for the 5” Goblin. Have a L850W for the Thing. Getting ready for AirFest.

I received my replacement AA-10 Alamo AAM from Rocketarium. This was going to be my Sport Scale entry at NARAM-62, but housekeeping at the Marriot in Austin TX made it disappear- I assume it was thrown out, but it was not located.:mad::dontknow: So, no competition entry for me at NARAM, but I still couldn't leave it as is, so I will build it again.

View attachment 476269
I hope they make good for it too. It is a great kit and you have another now. How do you like Rocketarium Kits? I have some.

Attachments

• DSCF4411.JPG
    DSCF4411.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF4176.JPG
    DSCF4176.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Rocketarium_VK7_Viking_7_rocket__26247.1506101179.1280.1280.jpg
    Rocketarium_VK7_Viking_7_rocket__26247.1506101179.1280.1280.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 9
I put a new and longer BT on the crashed Big Bertha. Got the spirals filled to match the lower portion of BT. Then sanded, primed and painted. Just need a new nose cone. I painted the nose cone for my current project and painted a fin. I also started the next project. It is going to be an oddroc. I got the rail buttons on and the front centering and mmt in. Took the rear centering ring off after the epoxy had set. Fins tomorrow.

How wet was Bong? I live up near Spooner & I heard southern Wisconsin got some heavy rains. I've waded through a few swamps at Bong. :)
The driest I've ever seen. I think it was Greg that had a great, close recovery saved by the fact the pond was nearly dry. We've had less than half an inch in the last week, though we can see storms going around us.

This weather station is 1 mile straight north of the pads:
http://newa.cornell.edu/index.php?page=weather-station-page&WeatherStation=wi_bri

How wet was Bong? I live up near Spooner & I heard southern Wisconsin got some heavy rains. I've waded through a few swamps at Bong. :)
The driest I've ever seen. I think it was Greg that had a great, close recovery saved by the fact the pond was nearly dry. We've had less than half an inch in the last week, though we can see storms going around us.

This weather station is 1 mile straight north of the pads:
http://newa.cornell.edu/index.php?page=weather-station-page&WeatherStation=wi_bri

Can confirm. I went up there to get some things from Tim. Most of the little ponds along the E/W road on the way to the runway access road were dried up. And the pond just east of the flying field was the lowest I’ve seen in years.

Went to Argonia, KS for a "Fun Fly" on Sunday. This is from the "hobby" pad, looking to the North

argonia.jpg

Flew a couple of spools and my new Rocketarium Mega Rebel

rebel pad.jpg

That's not me; there was a bit of confusion with the pad wiring.

The Rebel flew beautifully on an AT E30-4. It came down quickly (a good thing as the wind was high) and landed in some high weeds. The reason it came down fast was due to a stripped chute.

rebel broke.jpg

Apparently, just before the chute blew out, the nose snapped back and struck the body., breaking the top ring in half.

I'm going to contact Rocketarium and see if I can get a replacement ring. If not, I'm going to replace it with 1/4 ply. I think this would work better. I'm also going to order a new kit. Hopefully I can get it built in time for our next launch on the 21st.

Follow-up. Just got off the phone with the fine folks at Rocketarium. They are going to send me a replacement ring. I also ordered a second Mega Rebel kit. In speaking with Pavel, he says there is a third Rebel, a high power version. He says there is a video on their Facebook page, but I don't do facebook.

To help prevent the snap-back, I ordered some kevlar cord, and a thin-mil nylon chute. I don't blame them for what happened, this can happen with any rocket.

Back