What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was at it, I ordered a School Rocket. I have an iron getting cold in the dying fire to mentor a middle- and/or high school group, which I hope to heat back up for the fall. I want to give the School Rocket a dry run on my own before I meet with the kids. There probably aren't any surprises - the kit is designed not to have any surprises - but it always pays to be prepared.

The school rocket is a GREAT kit for that. I’ve just finished a virtual build session with the sixth graders at my boys’ old elementary school. (See previous posts by me in this thread…)

Nothing too surprising about the build, the kit and instructions are great, although I deviate from them a little. Most notably - I have the students glue the launch lug along the root edge of one of the fins instead of using the laser scribed location that’s closer to the CG. I find it’s easier for them to make sure the LL is lined up correctly that way.

I also add a snap swivel, (at least to mine. It’s not really needed for the streamer, but I do it anyway.) And depending on the flying field (and/or budget) I will get the optional parachutes. (Which come with snap swivels.)

IIRC - BMS has a 3” version of the kit as well. (Although I can’t seem to get the menu on the website to work from my phone to check if it’s still available to purchase.)

Some kind of miracle Bob Ross happy mistake here. First of all my Brain is fried from work this week and forgot to put a sealer coat of purple Down first. However, turned out I taped reeeeesllly well, maybe two noticeable tiny spots it bled. Dodged a bullet.

However, the candy paint I used on top of the white base did NOT like the drip paint mask vinyl for some reason. It mostly peeled right off in sheets on most of the drip mask areas. It left some of it though, and created a cool 3d effect that I couldn’t do again if I wanted. I’m not even gonna try to fix it, it’s staying LOL! Wierd thing the places I just used normal painters tape was fine, and for that I am thankful. Has the whole joker acid drip vibe going on, which is what I was going for.

just needs stickershock stickers and clear coat now.9811CCDB-56C6-459C-B92E-74E89164FB40.jpeg0AD2FDAB-93CD-4B90-9E73-1EEC88371BBE.jpegD812D386-3B9D-458B-88B8-286296430AA1.jpeg

I finished a unique one. It's a BMS 3" core tube. It has a 38mm mmt. The core weighs 61 ounces with the chutes. It is dual deploy. The SRB's are BMS 2.2" tubes. They have 29mm mmt's. I'm using the Apogee SRB device to hold them together. The core and SRB's weigh 74 ounces with the chutes. Should be entertaining. I've got a couple others I did before I joined the Forum. The blue and yellow one is the one I just finished. The one with the tall SRB's has three 29mm mmt's. The one with the short SRB's has a core 29mm mmt with two 18mm mmt's.
Outstanding modeling teepot.

Some kind of miracle Bob Ross happy mistake here. First of all my Brain is fried from work this week and forgot to put a sealer coat of purple Down first. However, turned out I taped reeeeesllly well, maybe two noticeable tiny spots it bled. Dodged a bullet.

However, the candy paint I used on top of the white base did NOT like the drip paint mask vinyl for some reason. It mostly peeled right off in sheets on most of the drip mask areas. It left some of it though, and created a cool 3d effect that I couldn’t do again if I wanted. I’m not even gonna try to fix it, it’s staying LOL! Wierd thing the places I just used normal painters tape was fine, and for that I am thankful. Has the whole joker acid drip vibe going on, which is what I was going for.

just needs stickershock stickers and clear coat now.View attachment 465397View attachment 465398View attachment 465399
Nice job and like the green paint.

Redstone got fins. Thinking I may use 3/16 launch lugs on this...since my 3/16 rod is 4' long, and that might get me some nicer flights. I'm leaving it as 18mm powered so C5-3 and Q-jet C's and D's are what'll power it.
Is this the Estes kit? Going to be nice one.

just needs stickershock stickers and clear coat now.View attachment 465397View attachment 465398View attachment 465399
If that was an accident, I am amazed at how much it looks like you meant to do it that way. I would never have guessed it wasn’t the plan. Looks great!

The school rocket is a GREAT kit for that. I’ve just finished a virtual build session with the sixth graders at my boys’ old elementary school. (See previous posts by me in this thread…)

Nothing too surprising about the build, the kit and instructions are great, although I deviate from them a little. Most notably - I have the students glue the launch lug along the root edge of one of the fins instead of using the laser scribed location that’s closer to the CG. I find it’s easier for them to make sure the LL is lined up correctly that way.

I also add a snap swivel, (at least to mine. It’s not really needed for the streamer, but I do it anyway.) And depending on the flying field (and/or budget) I will get the optional parachutes. (Which come with snap swivels.)

IIRC - BMS has a 3” version of the kit as well. (Although I can’t seem to get the menu on the website to work from my phone to check if it’s still available to purchase.)
They are still available. I built a couple for Bill. You can get the three inch with a payload bay too. 24mm and 29mm.

Started not one, but three 29mm MD apogee aspires (modded to go Mach 1.2) with my son.
66A48450-CAF6-4B68-91B3-E6E31772CE81.jpeg

Vitamin tubes make for perfect NC extensions to fit GPS and JLA3… (well, once they’re reinforced with two card bulkheads and epoxy…)

Last edited:
Yesterday I got the red onto my Red Nova. Today I'm getting some red onto Justin (the second of three or four light passes was seconds ago.)

I use the world's worst paint booth. It's worlds better than no paint booth.
View attachment 465468
View attachment 465469

I've got a paint booth like that 😃 With a squirrel cage blower as a fan, it even works well inside my heated shop in the winter. Yours is a far cry from the worst!

Yours is a much farther cry if You've got a fan. I haven't got so much as a ven hole, let alone a fan to put it in.

Lest you are confused by the stonework, that's just someplace to put the box. The most sophisticated thing about the setup is that I bungee the box to the chimney.

Yesterday afternoon at work, I said to myself, "It's nearly June, you need to fly something." (I've flown exactly one rocket larger than small LPR in the last 21 years) Well, the weather channel shows a nice weekend, partly cloudy. I have a virgin Arreaux with G64's, but that can be a long walk. If the grandchildren are here, they'd never make it that far.

OK, let's see if we can fly something a little bigger. Hmm, I don't want to fly the same thing I flew last... Motors? I have an H238T and an H250G... Rocket budget is approximately $0.00, and time available is 24-48 hours. Optimism. Wait, I have an old EZI that hasn't been up in decades. Not too far from flight worthy, it would probably do a quick up and down on either H and wouldn't take too long to prepare. But it's kind of heavy, feels clunky and I never really liked it. I think it needs a different paint job. The rocket is red, the nose cone is black, it just looks plain boring. The black nose cone is peeling. Maybe a new paint job would improve our relationship...

Pushing the ADD aside, I remembered I still have an old spare LOC 3.9" tube (purchased from Larry at Rocket Science in SC, for those who remember), and I could borrow that EZI nose cone to make a short flyer for one of those H-motors. No budget, do I have enough stuff to put something together? I have an old 38MM tube long enough to be a MMT. I think there's a spare 4" coupler somewhere. And I have 5 minute epoxy, some blank copper-clad PCB's- 6"x9", 8"x12" in G-10/FR-4, probably around 0.060". I could laminate two if needed, and there's probably some plywood somewhere.

OK, maybe we can do this. Launch pad? Well, no. But I have 3/8" x 6' steel rod and some brass tubing that would work for lugs on that. Launcher? Umm, well plenty of switches and such... we'll see what we can do about those things. Rocket first. The LOC 3.9" tube should be 34" if it's uncut, so that's going to be a little stumpy and the fins will need to be fairly big to keep the CP at bay. So last night I drew up a couple of fin/airframe sketches to look at proportions while we were out and about. Grabbed some cardboard when we got home and cut out a pattern for better visual. A couple of changes may be needed to suit cutout on the available piece of plywood, allowing 3 fins with leftovers for CR's, etc.

Final changes to fins this morning, and went out to the shop to be sure that tube was still here and not crimped. A couple decades of dust on it, but not bad. I can do this. I think. Long break this afternoon to meet the MIL 60 miles away for an early supper. I can still do this. I think.

IMG_20210522_114811388_HDRc.jpg IMG_20210522_114927854c.jpg

Yesterday afternoon at work, I said to myself, "It's nearly June, you need to fly something." (I've flown exactly one rocket larger than small LPR in the last 21 years) Well, the weather channel shows a nice weekend, partly cloudy. I have a virgin Arreaux with G64's, but that can be a long walk. If the grandchildren are here, they'd never make it that far.

OK, let's see if we can fly something a little bigger. Hmm, I don't want to fly the same thing I flew last... Motors? I have an H238T and an H250G... Rocket budget is approximately $0.00, and time available is 24-48 hours. Optimism. Wait, I have an old EZI that hasn't been up in decades. Not too far from flight worthy, it would probably do a quick up and down on either H and wouldn't take too long to prepare. But it's kind of heavy, feels clunky and I never really liked it. I think it needs a different paint job. The rocket is red, the nose cone is black, it just looks plain boring. The black nose cone is peeling. Maybe a new paint job would improve our relationship...

Pushing the ADD aside, I remembered I still have an old spare LOC 3.9" tube (purchased from Larry at Rocket Science in SC, for those who remember), and I could borrow that EZI nose cone to make a short flyer for one of those H-motors. No budget, do I have enough stuff to put something together? I have an old 38MM tube long enough to be a MMT. I think there's a spare 4" coupler somewhere. And I have 5 minute epoxy, some blank copper-clad PCB's- 6"x9", 8"x12" in G-10/FR-4, probably around 0.060". I could laminate two if needed, and there's probably some plywood somewhere.

OK, maybe we can do this. Launch pad? Well, no. But I have 3/8" x 6' steel rod and some brass tubing that would work for lugs on that. Launcher? Umm, well plenty of switches and such... we'll see what we can do about those things. Rocket first. The LOC 3.9" tube should be 34" if it's uncut, so that's going to be a little stumpy and the fins will need to be fairly big to keep the CP at bay. So last night I drew up a couple of fin/airframe sketches to look at proportions while we were out and about. Grabbed some cardboard when we got home and cut out a pattern for better visual. A couple of changes may be needed to suit cutout on the available piece of plywood, allowing 3 fins with leftovers for CR's, etc.

Final changes to fins this morning, and went out to the shop to be sure that tube was still here and not crimped. A couple decades of dust on it, but not bad. I can do this. I think. Long break this afternoon to meet the MIL 60 miles away for an early supper. I can still do this. I think.

View attachment 465491 View attachment 465492
I remember Larry and Rocket Science! I still have one of his T-Shirts from back in the day!

I remember Larry and Rocket Science! I still have one of his T-Shirts from back in the day!

I'm glad you still have one. I always wanted one of those shirts!

We're all pulling for you.

Unetched copper clad PCB for fins is a nice idea. No paint. Just polish and clear coat the copper.

Thanks!

Agreed, the copper could be used to a neat effect. One of these days I want to make a night launch vehicle with double-sided PCB fins and mini LEDs on the edge. That way the clad PCB can be functional. Or laminate some clear plexiglass between two boards and embed LEDs in between so the clear center will glow. Similar thought for switch band-type rings.

But I went with a piece of 1/8" ply instead for this one, in the interest of economy. The fin size would require double thickness, meaning 6 of my 8 larger pieces of PCB, and would take more time.

Mixed up some epoxy with milled fiberglass and attached a slimline retainer to a LaserLOC 223 and since I had a bunch made up, also attached the aft ring with AeroPack75 to the MMT on a 4" AstrobeeD

Took a few minutes between hauling firewood, yardwork and riding bikes to spray some rockets. Sanded the primer on Super Baby Bertha and gave it another light coat of primer to be wet sanded. Primed the Redstone as well.

Got clear on this little thing I threw together a few weeks back. BT50 scaled Big Daddy, finstock from the Viking bulk pack. Needs a name, can't come up with anything good.

Attachments

• IMG_20210522_190018392.jpg
    IMG_20210522_190018392.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20210522_190055745.jpg
    IMG_20210522_190055745.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 8
Took a few minutes between hauling firewood, yardwork and riding bikes to spray some rockets. Sanded the primer on Super Baby Bertha and gave it another light coat of primer to be wet sanded. Primed the Redstone as well.

Got clear on this little thing I threw together a few weeks back. BT50 scaled Big Daddy, finstock from the Viking bulk pack. Needs a name, can't come up with anything good.
Li'l Daddy

Latest posts

Back