• Have you entered ???
    LAUNCH LAB ROCKETRY GIVEAWAY

What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

DigBaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A little while back I realized I was a coupler away from making a Super Baby Bertha (or close enough) with some BT80 on-hand. We love our little Baby Bertha and never have owned a regular Big Bertha or Super Big Bertha, so why start that trend now? :) Trying the baffle thing on this; haven't ever used one so figured this was a good time to experiment. Made one from basswood kinda modeled after this Qualman BT80 version. I should have taken pics before I put it in the BT. Quick puff through the motor tube shows it should work just fine. Got a lot of BT80 rockets now so I'm tired of wadding/dog barf usage :)

Fins are a tiny bit underscaled if based on a normal Baby Bertha; mostly to work with the 1/8" balsa sheets I had. Papered with resume paper and TBII. (done a few now with this combo and no edges of the paper want to peel up and they round perfectly when sanded. Made my own centering rings. Top is two layers of 1/16" basswood and the bottom is doubled up thick cardstock.

OR shows I could probably get away with no nose weight once complete. .9c with a E12-6 and it's stubby...we'll have to see how it really balances out. It's not like this will fly on anything smaller than a D so maybe a bit of weight would be smart.

Just not sure on color scheme. Logo I made is red/white/blue/black/yellow. So, might stick to the current paint scheme of the SBB (but perhaps a different color on the lower parts).

Attachments

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
I've been tempted a few times by this kit. You've done a superb job with the build/paint, I'm interested in how it flies.
It was a scale model for the Estes Pro Series II and that was enough for me to get it. I'm a big fan of long burn/low thrust motors like the E16 and F15 and am always up for a rocket that will fly on them.

Mike Haberer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, sort of. When I glued on the centering ring I wanted to locate the nut and washer (which is the back end of the eye bolt for the shock cord attachment) equally spaced between the fins. Had it been rotated a little more it would have interfered with the fin contacting the motor mount tube, I would have had to notch the fin tab which I didn't want to do. Fortunately I test fit the fins before the epoxy set. The aft ring was in place, to keep the tube aligned, but not glued yet so I didn't notice how close it was to the fin tab. Anyway, I'll finish doing the internal fillets and glue on the aft ring and no one will ever see it.
I was going to say the nut doesn't look like it's epoxied to the bolt such that it might come loose over time....

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been watching the decay of the Long March 5B stage that China launched recently. Let's hope it lands somewhere without causing damage. I think this is the largest uncontrolled re-entry, except for failures, since 1990.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I hope I get to see that rocket body go over. I went over to see Bill at BMS and picked up a large order of tubes, coupler stock, nose cones, bulkheads and motors. Should keep me in supplies for the month. I am so lucky to have him so close to me.

GrouchoDuke

Reaction score
Got some carbon CNC cut fins in the mail. The cut quality reinforced my thoughts of “I need my own CNC router.”

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I received a Rocketman 48" 2.2cd chute in the mail. I primed a new space plane build and started another dual deploy rocket. And I'm waiting on paint to cure on another build so I can put on the second color. And went over to BMS.

Fishhead

Keel Loopy
Reaction score
I had six rockets that I wanted to fly on Saturday that needed work, so I got the work done on four of them. The ASP Corporal is ready for primer, I printed a decal for the Estes Voyager II, added nose weight to a TLP Exocet MM:40, and epoxied the launch lug back onto my LOC Lil' Nuke. I have a Beta that needs fin work today, and a Solar Flare that I'd finish if I could find the rest of the parts for it.:rolleyes:

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I made up some new lighters for our research motors while two electricians re-wired my work area. They were a bit surprised when I lit one to test it.
This morning, I woke up at 2 am thinking about the 2.6" Madcow Fireflyer that I'm sending up to 25K ft. at NSL later this month. I decided to extend the charge cups by about 1 inch to improve the combustion of BP at high altitude. Got out of bed and measured the drogue space with an L935 installed, just enough room.