What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The wind died down enough to finish another one. It's a 2.6", 41" long with a 38mm mmt. Weighs in at 33 ounces with a 48" chute. It will fly on everything from G to I. The bottom detail is made from the tubes that G motor igniters come in. I'm calling this one Andromeda. It's a 50's sci-fi inspired one.

Attachments

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally back on TRF after a month. Something went wrong with my profile & I wasn't able to post anything or message anyone. I contacted Steve Shannon on Facebook & he contacted Angie to get things working again.

Over the month I built an Estes Odyssey. Toughest build I've run into but I enjoyed it. I finished it using an airbrush and Creatix Pearlized paints which I had on hand. It's not perfect but I'm pleased by the results.

Odyssey6.jpgOdyssey8.jpgOdyssey9.jpgOdyssey10.jpg

Adam3836

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally back on TRF after a month. Something went wrong with my profile & I wasn't able to post anything or message anyone. I contacted Steve Shannon on Facebook & he contacted Angie to get things working again.

Over the month I built an Estes Odyssey. Toughest build I've run into but I enjoyed it. I finished it using an airbrush and Creatix Pearlized paints which I had on hand. It's not perfect but I'm pleased by the results.

View attachment 452480View attachment 452481View attachment 452482View attachment 452483
Nice job and welcome back 👍🏻

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
New build.
0225211923[1].jpg

Parts.
0225211923a[1].jpg

And done.
0226210821[1].jpg

No wood to fill! Just needs primer, paint and decals.
The fins rang a bell, so I compared it side by side with the Hi-Flier.
0226210816[1].jpg

Both are 18mm MD, same fin shape, but the Xtreme has fiber instead of balsa fins.
Xtreme has a little longer airframe and a longer nose cone.
Ooh, pointy.

Wally Ferrer

SRE
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Adam3836

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what size motor cleared away that snow... 🤔 :dontknow::D
Lol lol here in the north east we have been getting snow like crazy so that was a path made to The back yard to get to the shed and kids swings lol but rocket motor clearing the snow sounds so much more exciting....😆

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been trying for a couple of days to get the bluetooth connection to my VTS from my PC. Such a PITA. Still have not got it going but I have gone back to using a USB cable for now rather than just stalling the project.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Launched two rockets today at the club launch. Beautiful day. Launched my 5” WM Goblin on a Preston Nobile 75/3500 L625 sparky motor. Awesome motor Preston🤩🤩😎
Then launched my WM 3” Jart on a H148R. Decent flight, but my JLCR rubber band stuck to the parachute so landing was a little bit too quick... No damage tho. All in all a great day.

markfsanderson

Model Rocketry Returnee ...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pre-glue fitting of my LOC 7.5 Door Knob. Since this is an 'advanced' kit with no instructions, this step seems to be particularly critical. All measurements will be committed to the OpenRocket ork file that I'm using as my 'instructions'. All fins and slots are numbered, tubes marked and etc ... tomorrow is glue day . . . wish me luck!
Mark!

IMG_0008.JPG

PatD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pre-glue fitting of my LOC 7.5 Door Knob. Since this is an 'advanced' kit with no instructions, this step seems to be particularly critical. All measurements will be committed to the OpenRocket ork file that I'm using as my 'instructions'. All fins and slots are numbered, tubes marked and etc ... tomorrow is glue day . . . wish me luck!
Mark!

View attachment 452694
I believe luck is a chimera, rely on your work and craftmanship. Most people are far better than they think they are.
Edit: And take advice from folks here. they will generally steer you right. You probably already know that. 😂

Last edited:

Five

Reaction score
Mark!

View attachment 452694

Attachments

bronicabill

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This post is actually for the past TWO days (technically nights since I can't sleep until morning), so bear with me:

Yesterday... completed my Apogee altimeter sled upgrade to my AeroTech ARCAS HV kit. Got all of the wiring completed, along with external terminal blocks and aluminum charge cups. So far, it all fits and is working perfectly!

Today... finished up the motor mount and fin can for the above kit, and gently soaked all unsupported tube edges with thin CA to strengthen and reinforce them. Once cured overnight, I will sand edges back to proper shape and test fit everything done so far.

Next up the the shock cords, Nomex parachute protectors, and both chutes.... followed by painting as soon as the weather and my health allows!

Edit: Have decided painting will be next, and the recovery rigging will come last.

Last edited:

markfsanderson

Model Rocketry Returnee ...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I believe luck is a chimera, rely on your work and craftmanship. Most people are far better than they think they are.
Edit: And take advice from folks here. they will generally steer you right. You probably already know that. 😂
Indeed . . . that's why I'm here!
Mark!

Old School Doug

Too energetic an ejection charge ??
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
1st primer coat dried and ready for sanding on the AnArcas. Installing the main fin set on the Vexillum and the Grayroc II, my grandson's park flyer, is complete. When given the choice of body, fin, and nose cone colors along with decals the preference was......well........blue! :music1::dancingelephant::shocked:

IMG_2104.JPG

SR71LGT

Reaction score
Got all the Mongoose 29 and 38 fillets poured and cured. They still need to be sanded out to fair in the edges, but I think they came out pretty well. This was Hysol E120HP with a little bit of milled glass fiber added to thicken it up and give it a little more strength, shaped with a plastic spoon immediately after pouring. Tape is pulled about 15 minutes after spooning.

Finished up clear coat on daddy/daughter Maxes. Daughter's still needs polishing but they're ready to fly as soon as it gets tolerably warm outside.

Hello AeroAggie,
I‘m late in my reply but have to give you a shout out for this(your) post that solved a build I was stuck on. In 2018 I had my Hangar 11 4” X-15 dry fit and ready for assembly, I was high centered on attaching the side skins. They completely cover the 36” body tube and make contact everywhere except the wing bulges. I had three conditions to solve, compatibility ABS to cardboard, fairly large amount of surface to cover and a extended working time to mix, apply, fit and clamp.

Lucky me I stumbled on you post just at the right time with some of the most beautiful filets I’d ever seen!! Also, a very detailed post about your Loctite120 application, now other than tacking I use almost exclusively,
D15D6F4C-5989-4D4F-965C-757CE1824E1C.jpeg
B0F88356-55C1-4023-BEA2-3CB032E606FF.jpeg
Thank You!

AeroAggie

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello AeroAggie,
I‘m late in my reply but have to give you a shout out for this(your) post that solved a build I was stuck on. In 2018 I had my Hangar 11 4” X-15 dry fit and ready for assembly, I was high centered on attaching the side skins. They completely cover the 36” body tube and make contact everywhere except the wing bulges. I had three conditions to solve, compatibility ABS to cardboard, fairly large amount of surface to cover and a extended working time to mix, apply, fit and clamp.

Lucky me I stumbled on you post just at the right time with some of the most beautiful filets I’d ever seen!! Also, a very detailed post about your Loctite120 application, now other than tacking I use almost exclusively, Thank You!
Awesome! Glad I could be of some help. That's a great looking X15 ya got there.

Latest posts