What department does NASA fall under?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadManCF

Reaction score
I've read through several wikipedia articles, but to no avail. I'm wondering what executive department NASA belong to. I would have thought that DOD was the most likeley candidate, followed by DOC, and maybe DOE, but apparantly not.

NASA is an independent agency under the executive branch, with its chief administrator nominated by the president and confirmed by Congress.

NASA is an independent agency under the executive branch, with its chief administrator nominated by the president and confirmed by Congress.
I figured that might have been the case. The fact that NASA is headed by a single administrator rather than a commission makes them a bit of an odd duck among those agencies though...

I've read through several wikipedia articles, but to no avail. I'm wondering what executive department NASA belong to. I would have thought that DOD was the most likeley candidate, followed by DOC, and maybe DOE, but apparantly not.

That's because NASA is its OWN department... it's an independent agency. It does not have a cabinet post like most of the other Departments you mentioned (it is after all an AGENCY or "Administration" rather than a "department" but it is an independent administration with an "Administrator" appointed by the President and serving at his pleasure, confirmed by the Senate, and an Associate Administrator or Deputy Administrator as the Administrator's second-in-command. The present NASA Administrator is retired Marine General and former shuttle astronaut (on the original Hubble Space Telescope deployment mission no less) Charles Bolden. His deputy is Lori Garver, a long time space policy "wonk" who's worked with various independent space advocacy associations over the years and who was on Obama's transition team after he was elected President but before he was sworn in. Lori Garver was Obama's first choice for NASA Administrator to replace Bush II's longtime NASA Administrator Michael Griffin, but she was not a popular choice for the Senate to confirm, so Charlie Bolden was a more "palatable" choice that the Senate WOULD confirm.

Later and hope that helps clear things up for you...

OL JR :)

PS. Also realize that the military has its own completely independent space program totally separate from NASA. When NASA was established, the Army and Air Force were already in deep interservice rivalry over which service would be in control of space. (They were also deeply competitive over which service would have control over the nation's missile forces, with the Army dedicating considerable resources to Von Braun and his group working at the Army's Redstone Arsenal and developing missiles like Redstone and Jupiter, and working on large HLV boosters like Saturn for the projected Manned space projects that were to come (read the summary I did on the Army's "Project Horizon" moon program that's over in the scale section. The Air Force meanwhile was working on its own plans and missile development, with Thor, Atlas, and Titan and flying the early "Discoverer" flights of the Corona spysats). This interservice rivalry culminated in the DOD issuing directives limiting the Army to basically battlefield or theater short range or medium range ballistic missiles like Redstone and Honest John, later Lance and such missiles as that, and turned the intermediate and intercontinental range ballistic missile development over to the Air Force. The Navy was in on the game too, as evidenced by the Naval Research Lab getting the nod to try for America's first satellite launch with their Vanguard rocket, which of course exploded on the pad, and as a fallback, Von Braun's Army Team, working for the Advanced Research Projects Agency at the time, got to launch America's first satellite, Explorer I. Eisenhower created NASA specifically as a NON-MILITARY agency devoted to the peaceful exploration of space, separate and distinct from the Armed Forces. (the Soviet Union never made such a distinction, and in fact most of their space programs ran concurrently side-by-side virtually indistinguishable from one another). This put manned spaceflight clearly into the civilian NASA's hands, which certainly PO'd the armed services who wanted the job. The Air Force and Navy ended up largely on top, in cooperation with a slew of various Defense Department agencies (the three-letter agencies like NRO (National Reconnaissance Office), NSA (National Security Agency), etc.) which basically developed and controlled the nation's space based photoreconnaissance and electronic signals intelligence satellite assets and the interpretation and dissemination of such information gathered from these assets to various agencies, services, and think-tanks as needed for defense planning, enemy force estimates, location, and targeting, etc. The Air Force never quite got over its desire for a manned space program, and when its Dyna-Soar Program was canceled in the early 60's, it was replaced by the "Manned Orbiting Laboratory" program designed to orbit military space stations manned by Air Force astronauts under the "Blue Gemini" program. Astronauts were selected from within the services and trained, but then MOL was canceled, and these astronauts were given the opportunity (which most took) to transfer to NASA. (Interestingly enough, the Soviets actually designed and flew military space stations, called "Almaz" (diamond) and found that the results were rather disappointing, as the US had concluded when it justified the cancellation of MOL years before... manned vehicles make poor reconnaissance assets due to the "human factor" messing up the works). In fact, the first space shuttle mission, STS-1 of Columbia in 1981, was manned by a former MOL "Blue Gemini" astronaut, Bob Crippen. (Fitting since the shuttle was to be a collaborative effort between the DOD on the military-space (milspace) side and NASA on the civilian side. Many shuttle missions were dedicated in whole or part to military missions and the Air Force was to eventually get its own orbiter, had things worked out as planned. The Challenger disaster put an end to all that). At the time, the Air Force's plans for their own military manned spaceflight missions aboard their orbiter ranged from the questionable to the plain old wacky, everything from "once around" reconnaissance missions using polar-orbit launched shuttles lifting off from California and flying over the South Pole, overflying the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc, to close inspection of enemy satellites, even tampering with them or disabling them by various means, such as spray-painting over the lenses of their recon sats! Challenger ended all these grandiose and unrealistic dreams and the Air Force reverted to their classical role, which they have performed absolutely amazingly, of unmanned recon and intelligence gathering, launching communications and control and navigational assets for the national defense, and other such DOD missions. The current robotic X-37B winged spaceplane vehicle gives them many of the more practical capabilities they had in mind for shuttle (without the more bizarre or unrealistic ones involving manned flight).

Last edited:
Man I love your posts. I learn so much from them.

Thanks for taking the time to type all of that out.

You're welcome...

I'm often ragged on for being too long winded... but then there's a lot of information out there, and any story worth telling is worth telling well...

Later and have a good one! I appreciate it! OL J R:)

I did not know this. That explains the executive driven changes.

Hmmm... Interesting read.

Just how does one "Spray Paint" in the near vacuum of LEO? Perhaps a brush and a squirt tube, or maybe some plain 'ole duct tape over those pesky lenses...

I had a chuckle when I read that bit.

@Luke Strawwalker, thanks for the info, yes I knew about DOD's space program, I actully find it more interesting, and am amused by how it flies under the radar of popular culture. I didn't even know that Vandenburg AFB was a launch site until last year, when I became active in the hobby again. So as a follow up question, do you know why NASA was created as an independant executive agency, rather than a component of one of the executive departments? I could see the info you gave as a reason not to give it to DOD, but I could still see it fitting into DOC, DOE or DOT.

You're welcome...

I'm often ragged on for being too long winded... but then there's a lot of information out there, and any story worth telling is worth telling well...

Nothing wrong with being long winded, I can be too. Its hard to be thorough without being long winded.

snip... yes I knew about DOD's space program, I actully find it more interesting, and am amused by how it flies under the radar of popular culture....
Any of the Shuttle Mission patches that sport an aggressive looking eagle are DOD missions... and you'll not find a mission description, just "classified."

Last edited:
Any of the Shuttle Mission patches that sport an aggressive looking eagle are DOD missions... and you'll not a mission description, just "classified."

Thats interesting, I called Vandenburg's public affairs hotline to hear their pre recorded message, and it revealed more than I would have expected. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that they disseminate the time of launch, and vehicle being launched, but that it carried a payload for the National Recconiasance Office? I thought they were supposed to be secretive.

You're welcome...

I enjoy your posts as well.Luke is posting a 'book' again!:rofl:..I sometimes have to wonder tho, how many keyboards you go through in a year! Surely you must wear out the keys!:roll:

@Luke Strawwalker, thanks for the info, yes I knew about DOD's space program, I actully find it more interesting, and am amused by how it flies under the radar of popular culture. I didn't even know that Vandenburg AFB was a launch site until last year, when I became active in the hobby again. So as a follow up question, do you know why NASA was created as an independant executive agency, rather than a component of one of the executive departments? I could see the info you gave as a reason not to give it to DOD, but I could still see it fitting into DOC, DOE or DOT.

Well, the DOE and DOT did not exist when NASA was formed. At first NASA was envisioned as pretty much a scientific, not commercial, enterprise, so Commerce would not seem to fit.

NASA's predecessor agency, NACA, was established in 1915. It was originally approved as a rider to a naval appropriations bill and boosted in large part by then- Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt. But it was an advisory board reporting directly to the president.

Actually for a few decades now, we probably need a Department of Science and Practical Technology under which NASA and other agencies would fall. But of course almost every other department would hit the roof over invasion of its "turf."

Last edited:
Well, the DOE and DOT did not exist when NASA was formed. At first NASA was envisioned as pretty much a scientific, not commercial, enterprise, so Commerce would not seem to fit.

NASA's predecessor agency, NACA, was established in 1915. It was originally approved as a rider to a naval appropriations bill and boosted in large part by then- Assistant Secretary of the Navy Franklin D. Roosevelt. But it was an advisory board reporting directly to the president.

Actually for a few decades now, we probably need a Department of Science and Practical Technology under which NASA and other agencies would fall. But of course almost every other department would hit the roof over invasion of its "turf."
DOC has its share of scientific and science related agencies, NOAA and NIST are good examples. I know that DOT and DOE didn't exist when NASA was created, but why wasn't NASA folded into one of them? I don't see how the normal political arguments for having a certain function served by an independant executive agency apply to NASA. Also, the idea for a DOSPT is interesting, though I would argue that certain agencies dealing with science and practical technology should stay where they are, the National Geodetic Survey, for example.

Well I am sure over the years any time there has been any suggestion of folding NASA into one of the Cabinet departments, everybody IN NASA as well as all of its supporters in Congress probably hit the roof since that would mean another layer of bureaucratic authority they would have to answer to, to do anything.

I know there have been many suggestions the manned space programs should be turned over to the DOD and Air Force and everything else farmed out to other departments, mainly Commerce.

The scientists usually don't like that idea much because it would completely militarize the manned space program (almost certainly never to return), and most of the "pure-science" programs run by NASA do not have much prospect for immediate commercial payoff so they would probably not get much priority in the DOC.

Last edited:
Well I am sure over the years any time there has been any suggestion of folding NASA into one of the Cabinet departments, everybody IN NASA as well as all of its supporters in Congress probably hit the roof since that would mean another layer of bureaucratic authority they would have to answer to, to do anything.

I know there have been many suggestions the manned space programs should be turned over to the DOD and Air Force and everything else farmed out to other departments, mainly Commerce.

The scientists usually don't like that idea much because it would completely militarize the manned space program (almost certainly never to return), and most of the "pure-science" programs run by NASA do not have much prospect for immediate commercial payoff so they would probably not get much priority in the DOC.

Ok, That makes sense. So in recent years, about what percentage of NASA's manned spaceflight operations were DOD missions? As an aside, if it seems odd to you that you're being asked all this by a fellow rocketry enthusiest, my area of interest in rockets has mainly been in subotbital millitary missiles, particularly anti tank, anti ship, and MLRS, and to a lesser extent, sounding rockets. My interest in spaceflight is a bit more recent, and not entirely related to technical issues. I'm a bit curious about differences in organizational culture between NASA and DOD spaceflight operations, and how it affects their performance. I would imagine that morale is generally higher in the DOD operations, since due to their lower visibility, they are less likely to be used as a political punching bag...

I did not know this. That explains the executive driven changes.

Yeah, but it's not ALL executive branch driven... The President (executive branch) decides what the actually want to spend money on and what they want to cancel, but the legislative branch (Congress) decides what they (NASA) can actually spend money on and what they can't. Congress holds the purse strings since they do all the appropriating, and without money, no project is going anywhere.

Now, Congress can "order" NASA to do stuff it doesn't want to do, and they can obviously foot-drag, obfuscate, time-waste, and screw it up until it gets canceled... So it's a two-way street of sorts...

Later! OL JR :)

Hmmm... Interesting read.

Just how does one "Spray Paint" in the near vacuum of LEO? Perhaps a brush and a squirt tube, or maybe some plain 'ole duct tape over those pesky lenses...

I had a chuckle when I read that bit.

Don't ask me, but that WAS one of the proposed "plans" for the military shuttles...

No, I don't know why it was created as an independent agency, actually. I'd suppose it has to do with 1) the nature of the work, being both highly scientific and yet engineering oriented, and relying on corporate contractors, and 2) the lack of experience with spaceflight by any other agency. NASA has actually "gotten in bed" with other agencies from time to time, as they did with the DOD in "cooperating" to get the shuttle (the AF partially funded shuttle development) and in the late 70's, with DOE, working on "solar power satellites" to 'beam' solar power down to Earth. But invariably it's ended up being a fiasco. I think a big part of making NASA an independent agency as well had to do with funding-- such HUGE amounts of money were going to be needed by NASA, that it would really complicate other agency's budgets were NASA a part of them... plus there's the invariable risk that the "sponsoring agency" of which NASA was a part would fritter away large amounts of that money on other things THEY wanted instead of dedicating it to NASA projects as needed. Plus, it would add another layer of bureaucracy to running NASA, making the decision making process and oversight process even more labyrinthine than it already is...

I enjoy your posts as well.Luke is posting a 'book' again!:rofl:..I sometimes have to wonder tho, how many keyboards you go through in a year! Surely you must wear out the keys!:roll:

Nope, computer died but the keyboard is still in use... LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

No, I don't know why it was created as an independent agency, actually. I'd suppose it has to do with 1) the nature of the work, being both highly scientific and yet engineering oriented, and relying on corporate contractors, and 2) the lack of experience with spaceflight by any other agency. NASA has actually "gotten in bed" with other agencies from time to time, as they did with the DOD in "cooperating" to get the shuttle (the AF partially funded shuttle development) and in the late 70's, with DOE, working on "solar power satellites" to 'beam' solar power down to Earth. But invariably it's ended up being a fiasco. I think a big part of making NASA an independent agency as well had to do with funding-- such HUGE amounts of money were going to be needed by NASA, that it would really complicate other agency's budgets were NASA a part of them... plus there's the invariable risk that the "sponsoring agency" of which NASA was a part would fritter away large amounts of that money on other things THEY wanted instead of dedicating it to NASA projects as needed. Plus, it would add another layer of bureaucracy to running NASA, making the decision making process and oversight process even more labyrinthine than it already is...

Well I was about six weeks from being born when NASA was formed (July 29, 1958), but from everything I have read there was a strong sentiment in 1957-58 that inter-service rivalries had caused a lot of disorganization in U.S. space efforts and essentially allowed the Soviets to be first into orbit with Sputnik. Von Braun said he could have launched a satellite in 1955 using the Army's Redstone-based booster, had he gotten the go-ahead to do so, but was ordered to hold back while the Navy's Vanguard program inched forward.

After getting egg-faced by both Sputnik I and II and the apparent likelihood the Soviets had the boost capability to put a man in orbit soon it was decided the U.S. program should advance under a united agency. This of course did not shut down all inter-departmental rivalries since projects such as Dyna-Soar and MOL continued on until the mid-60s, but it was decided NASA would get the priority for manned space flight.

Looking back with 50 years hindsight it seems even more weird that the Army and Navy were the two service branches duking it out over who would get to launch space flights. I would have thought that stuff would almost naturally fall under the umbrella of the Air Force.

Last edited:
Well I was about six weeks from being born when NASA was formed (July 29, 1958), but from everything I have read there was a strong sentiment in 1957-58 that inter-service rivalries had caused a lot of disorganization in U.S. space efforts and essentially allowed the Soviets to be first into orbit with Sputnik. Von Braun said he could have launched a satellite in 1955 using the Army's Redstone-based booster, had he gotten the go-ahead to do so, but was ordered to hold back while the Navy's Vanguard program inched forward.

After getting egg-faced by both Sputnik I and II and the apparent likelihood the Soviets had the boost capability to put a man in orbit soon it was decided the U.S. program should advance under a united agency. This of course did not shut down all inter-departmental rivalries since projects such as Dyna-Soar and MOL continued on until the mid-60s, but it was decided NASA would get the priority for manned space flight.

Looking back with 50 years hindsight it seems even more weird that the Army and Navy were the two service branches duking it out over who would get to launch space flights. I would have thought that stuff would almost naturally fall under the umbrella of the Air Force.
I would venture to guess that, at the time, the army and navy had much more developed R and D structures than the air force did, and suspect that the air force was a bit behind the times, holding on to the concept of manned bombers for delivery of strategic nuclear weapons. The length of time that the XB 70 and BOMARC held on for make me think that the air force had its head in a certain part if its digestive tract...

You could also say that its weird for the air force to have responsobility for ICBMs, like the USSR and later the Russian Federation did, and create a fourth service branch to operate them, and argue that they should get responsibility for millitary spaceflight, since their expertise is more applicable than that of the air force.

I would venture to guess that, at the time, the army and navy had much more developed R and D structures than the air force did, and suspect that the air force was a bit behind the times, holding on to the concept of manned bombers for delivery of strategic nuclear weapons. The length of time that the XB 70 and BOMARC held on for make me think that the air force had its head in a certain part if its digestive tract...

The Air Force is/was run by pilots. When you put that into the equation you can see why manned bombers were/are a vital part of our nuclear deterent.

I agree that NASA is a messed up place, but the military is worse. They've had decades more experience at screwing stuff up than NASA. When I was in the AF one of my projects was to buy a new maniframe computer system for our lab. We had the money. We knew which mainframe we wanted. We had the OK from HQ to buy it. We had paid our engineering contractor $10K to write a rigged RFQ so we were certain to get the machine that would work with our old machine. All we needed was signatures on the forms. 18 months later the forms came back with all the signatures we needed (a page and a half of them). We called up the company and that model computer had been obsoleted. We did get something close to what we asked for though.

Last edited:
I have read in the late 50s/early 60s there was some talk of establishing a U.S. Space Force which would have complete control over all US spaceflight operations from sounding rockets, tactical missiles, IRBMs, SLBMs (a duty taken over from the Navy), ICBMs and all space-related activities including manned and scientific spaceflight.

This essentially got kiboshed in 1967 when the US signed the UN Space Treaty sharply (although not completely) limiting the militarization of space.

Of course all the individual services were not happy with the idea of giving up their individual space activities and everyone in NASA just busted a gasket over the idea.

By the time momentum really started to build behind Apollo after the death of JFK, any move to encroach on NASA's turf was taken as an attempt to derail it from the end-of-decade goal.

Last edited:

Need to keep in mind that the Air Force was a fairly new 'branch' of the military having just been split off the Army at the conclusion of WWII..So, they(USAF) wouldn't have had the time to get logistically organized as the Army or Navy already were..

Quite true... the Air Force even coined the term "aero-space" to emphasize their more natural role in extending flight from the atmosphere to beyond it into space over the Navy and Army's traditional operating spheres. There were lots of turf wars and still are to some degree. Opening up the new "high ground" frontier just drove those rivalries even more as the different services competed to "lay claim" to it as their next operating sphere of influence. Eventually it worked out just like you said-- the Air Force, which would be the natural service for such an assignment, ended up as the primary service responsible for space operations on the military/intelligence side of things.

Remember too that a lot of the reasons the Russians "beat us" was because of conscious decisions intentionally made, with either intentional or inintended consequences. Eisenhower was quite conservative, and did not want to put the nation on the path of an expensive space race with the Soviets, similar to the arms race then ongoing (remember his farewell address and dire warnings of the "military-industrial complex" which was then becoming extant due to the pressures of the Cold War driving technological advancements in weapons development). Eisenhower saw a manned space effort as having very low scientific or technical benefit, while likely provoking the very space race he wished to avoid, and therefore opposed it virtually to the end, or at least was extremely ambivalent towards it. The other issue was, Eisenhower did NOT like the German rocket team (those "Nazis") who were then THE most successful rocket development team in the US (at the time working for the Advanced Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA) under the auspices of the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) and the Army), pretty far ahead of the development work going on in industry to develop the Atlas ICBM (at Convair) and the Titan ICBM (at Martin) and the Naval Research Lab's work on Vanguard to orbit a satellite. Therefore Eisenhower and his people instructed the Army not to allow Von Braun to orbit any satellites-- Eisenhower and the powers-that-be wanted the first US satellite to be an unmistakeably AMERICAN achievement, totally unreliant upon the German expatriates working for the Army. This, as you pointed out, set things back considerably. The other issue was, and Eisenhower gave tacit agreement to this if not outright choosing to let the Russians orbit the first satellite, was that, by letting the Russians orbit the first satellite, which would invariably and inevitably overfly the United States, The US was given the power to choose how they responded to this state of affairs. Eisenhower KNEW that orbiting satellites were coming; it was just a matter of time, and that there were lingering difficult questions as to how this would be interpreted on the world stage, in that satellites CAN (depending on their orbit) overfly every nation on Earth. The Soviets had declared their airspace off limits and attempted to shoot down (sometimes successfully) any foreign aircraft penetrating their airspace. The fear was, that if the US orbited a satellite first, the Soviet Union would be given the power to respond, and would declare that the "airspace" (as in "air" and "SPACE" over their country was "off limits" and declare they had the right to shoot down or destroy any satellite overflying their country as they saw fit (or had the capability to destroy or interfere with). By allowing the USSR to orbit the first satellite, that gave Eisenhower the power to "respond" to this "threat" and therefore, by doing nothing, he established the "open skies" policy of orbiting satellites, by not objecting to the Sputnik overflying the US. This established the policy and then the Soviets had to reciprocate, because at that point, if they had tried to object or take action, they would be the aggressor and would be seen as such in the world opinion, and it would justify the US in taking a similar stance in turn, extending the "Cold War" into orbit. Thankfully this did not occur. By establishing "open skies" for early innocuous scientific or national prestige satellites, the door was then fully open for the soon-coming photoreconnaissance and signals intelligence gathering satellites which were to quickly follow. THAT was what Eisenhower was trying to achieve. Also, reflect on the fact that Eisenhower and the other services, especially the Air Force, saw unmanned missiles as somewhat suspect, and at most as adjunct in national defense to the manned bomber, which they saw as the PRIMARY means of defense to deliver nuclear warheads on-target in wartime... a classic case of thinking the next war will be fought like the last one (which afflicted many nations, both in the First and Second World Wars, most visibly France in WWII, and the US Navy in its emphasis on battleships over carriers against the Japanese, who were quick to realize the benefits and power of naval aviation over the power of naval gunfire from dreadnaughts). Eisenhower and the Air Force therefore put most of their development efforts into bombers, and put missiles in a secondary role. The USSR, meanwhile, realizing the difficulties of intercontinental bomber development and the relative ease with which they could be shot down, especially by the technologically advanced USAF with more highly advanced interceptors and radars, focused instead on somewhat "easier" to develop ICBM's which could not be intercepted and therefore "leveled the playing field" by nullifying the US advantages in air power and long range aviation.

What Eisenhower DIDN'T count on was the visceral reaction of near panic among the American populace to the launch of Sputnik... due in large part to the lopsided jingoistic stereotype image the US population had of the communists and Russians, mostly because of American propaganda. The Russians were seen as backward, plodding peasants that couldn't even build a decent tractor, let alone something as technically advanced and astonishingly complex as a large ICBM and artificial Earth satellite... (this certainly isn't without precedence, as the US stereotyped and vastly underestimated the technical capability and intelligence of the Japanese in World War II-- and seemingly forgot the lesson that the Soviets had been the ones that, somewhat arguably, had the best tanks in World War II (and the most numerous) and had largely been the ones responsible for turning the tide against the Germans and defeating them in "the Great Patriotic War" as the Soviets called it). The specter of a Soviet satellite overflying the US with impugnity every 90 minutes while the US remained "incapable" of doing the same created a fear and panic beyond the actual ramifications of the event itself... and of course gave Kennedy the perfect platform with which to campaign against Nixon for the election in 1960 when Eisenhower's two terms were up, touting the so-called "missile gap" (which was known inside defense and gov't circles, at least by folks "in the know" that there WAS NO missile gap... but which could not be "advertised" to the American population without revealing the sensitive nature of US intelligence-gathering capabilities...) Thus the "missile gap" and "space gap" became a political tool, and thus elicited a political response. In truth, space has ALWAYS been more about POLITICS than about scientific exploration or even engineering achievements. Those are just byproducts of the political endeavor. This remains true even today, and will remain so for the foreseeable future, unless and until space is "opened up" to commercial enterprise and thereby passes into the public sector. Even now, political decisions drive not only the directions but the actual hardware of NASA's future; the SLS rocket is as much a creation for political ends as it is to perform scientific exploration missions or as a technological achievement and demostration of technological prowess to the rest of the world... hence the emphasis on "shuttle derived" despite the high costs, relatively technical antiquity, and inherent limitations of many facets of that hardware on the final design and mission.

Eisenhower also wanted to clearly limit the military influence and military aspect of space, again to prevent the "arms race" from reaching into space as well, (and very rightfully so!) Therefore when it became clear that public opinion and national prestige requirements were driving the development of a national space program for manned as well as unmanned craft and satellites, Eisenhower created NASA as an independent gov't agency, strictly CIVILIAN in nature... there was no way around the obvious requirement to draw upon military resources and assets to accomplish the mission set for it... most of the research in launch vehicles and various control and communications systems, reentry systems, etc. had all been developed by the military for military missions, and most of the expertise in the form of scientists, technicians, engineers, managers, etc. were military personnel or operating under contract to the military. Virtually all the early space rockets would be direct derivatives or modified military missiles and ICBM's. BUT, Eisenhower DID want to clearly delineate the difference between the space program, while highly reliant on military elements, being a wholly CIVILIAN directed and controlled program, operating for clearly CIVILIAN non-military goals and missions (though of course there were always military experiments being conducted aboard, or at least experiments with military overtones or applications, such as observation of Polaris missile launching and flight from the Gemini missions, etc. This "separation" of military space (milspace) and civilian space missions never occurred in the USSR, and the two programs, military and civilian, remain intimately intertwined to this day. I suppose the same is true for the Chinese space program. In truth, even in the US, there is far deeper connection between the "two" space programs (milspace and civilian) than it would appear on the surface. Realize also that the milspace program is funded at a level about TEN TIMES that of the civilian space program! Certainly shows where the priorities are!

The Air Force is/was run by pilots. When you put that into the equation you can see why manned bombers were/are a vital part of our nuclear deterent.

I agree that NASA is a messed up place, but the military is worse. They've had decades more experience at screwing stuff up than NASA. When I was in the AF one of my projects was to buy a new maniframe computer system for our lab. We had the money. We knew which mainframe we wanted. We had the OK from HQ to buy it. We had paid our engineering contractor $10K to write a rigged RFQ so we were certain to get the machine that would work with our old machine. All we needed was signatures on the forms. 18 months later the forms came back with all the signatures we needed (a page and a half of them). We called up the company and that model computer had been obsoleted. We did get something close to what we asked for though.

The nature of bureaucracy... whether it's military bureaucracy or civilian bureaucracy makes little difference... the effect is the same.

The main difference is, the military has the money and isn't so much in the public eye when it comes to procurement. Later! OL JR :)

I have read in the late 50s/early 60s there was some talk of establishing a U.S. Space Force which would have complete control over all US spaceflight operations from sounding rockets, tactical missiles, IRBMs, SLBMs (a duty taken over from the Navy), ICBMs and all space-related activities including manned and scientific spaceflight.

This essentially got kiboshed in 1967 when the US signed the UN Space Treaty sharply (although not completely) limiting the militarization of space. Of course all the individual services were not happy with the idea of giving up their individual space activities and everyone in NASA just busted a gasket over the idea.

By the time momentum really started to build behind Apollo after the death of JFK, any move to encroach on NASA's turf was taken as an attempt to derail it from the end-of-decade goal.

Yes, and I'm not so sure that would have been a bad thing... even now there is talk in some quarters (and has been for some time, and seems to persist and seems to be growing slowly in volume and breadth) that NASA should be dissolved and its functions reassigned or at least completely reorganized to be better able to perform its assigned missions in a more efficient manner. Its undeniable that NASA has, over the course of the last 50 years, become a huge politically-oriented bureaucracy more interested in its own survival and growth than actually performing the missions which it is supposed to exist for. Granted, this is not ALL NASA's fault... NASA has been a political football used for political ends from the very beginning-- as you get deeper and deeper into NASA history is becomes more and more apparent... (just read an interesting book about James Webb, NASA's most famous director (and who controlled NASA through virtually the entire run-up to the first moon landing, and thus was the most responsible for Apollo). There's been political fingers in NASA's pie for as long as there's been a NASA, from the location of NASA centers (LBJ's choice of Houston for the Manned Spacecraft Center which now bears his name) just being one of the most glaringly obvious, to the choice of contractors and even the choice of individual systems design or hardware, or the choice of contractor to build it. ALL of these things have been used time and again since the very beginning to reward political friends and punish political enemies, rather than strictly adhering to the best and most technically sound engineering solution. In a way, it's a miracle NASA has managed to do as well as it has-- though the MASSIVE effects of bureaucracy and political cherry-picking is certainly showing now and making its presence known through the technological malaise and gridlock that NASA now appears to be mired in, perhaps beyond hope of escape.

Perhaps a push of the "reset" button isn't a bad idea... it would certainly break up the present logjam of the status quo... sometimes you need a storm to shake all the dead wood out of a tree. NASA has become more concerned about "ten healthy centers" than about the future of space exploration in this country, and more interested in development funding for everyone's pet project and keeping its favored contractors fat and happy rather than actually developing sustainable, affordable, cost and operationally efficient, safe spacecraft, launch systems, and hardware. NASA has REPEATEDLY robbed the unmanned scientific robotic spacecraft side of funding to pay for massive cost and schedule overruns in its manned missions development, primarily shuttle and ISS, and has done it again in trying to prop up the Constellation program before it was canceled, and is doing it again to sustain SLS/Orion development. This is particularly frustrating, because basically VIRTUALLY ALL the actual scientific discovery and exploration of the last FORTY YEARS has been done and achieved by the UNMANNED ROBOTIC side of the space program! Yet this anemically underfunded part of the program is the first part robbed of funding and left to wither on the vine whenever some big manned prestige project of dubious value runs into the rocks of funding or schedule problems. In truth, I question the continued value of manned spaceflight at this point. I could see it if we were going back to the moon, but Obama has put the kibosh on that (Been there, done that so he and his cronies say). "Mars in 20-30 years" has been an ongoing theme for the last 40 years at least... probably longer than that, going all the way back to the beginning of the space age. It looks no more realistic now than it did then... despite the political hype to the contrary! If we cannot afford to go to the Moon, which is right next door and is certainly easier to land on and in some ways easier to operate on, some ways harder... then how can we EVER afford to go to MARS, which is an order of magnitude more difficult and expensive and dangerous?? Heck, the gov't has pulled NASA out of COOPERATIVE missions with ESA on Mars missions which would SHARE COSTS, and we CERTAINLY cannot afford even a "simple" (infinitely simpler than a MANNED Mars mission anyway!) ROBOTIC sample-return mission from Mars, even with cost-sharing with the Europeans, yet these same politicos still make pretty speeches with a straight face about how we're going to land astronauts on Mars in 20-30 years... (SURE... and I have a bridge I'd like to sell on Ebay...) Even the vast majority of work going on at present aboard ISS is dedicated to studying and possibly ameliorating the effects of long-term deep-space flight on humans, ostensibly for a future Mars mission, which is rather unlikely in any honest appraisal of the current situation and future prospects of NASA. As for potential "manned" asteroid missions, there is NOTHING that humans can do of any particular value on an asteroid that cannot be done much simpler, cheaper, and easier, if not taking longer to do, with an unmanned spacecraft/probe/robot. As we examine the truth of Moore's Law, it's quite likely that by the time we're actually capable of considering a manned trip to Mars, robotics will have advanced to the point we achieve the same goals intended for a human mission to Mars with infinitely cheaper unmanned robotic probe missions... the military's present development of AI and robotic battlefield systems, UAV's, etc. is pointing the way in this regard. Look how far robotics has come in the last 30 years... how far is it likely to go in the next 30?? By the time we're ready to land people on Mars, it'll be cheaper and easier to simply land an autonomous AI robot on Mars, something like a cross between R2D2 and C3PO with a little "Terminator" thrown in, folded up in an aeroshell like the battle droids in the hover tanks in "Star Wars, Attack of the Clones" and deployed on the surface and activated when needed, on the surface of Mars, and having the benefit of not needing oxygen and water and sufficient warmth and air pressure to survive, dedicated surface systems, habs, supplies, food, medical equipment and supplies, tools and rovers and suits and surface systems, and an assured return capability to Earth... robots that will land on Mars and operate there for years, even decades, going places and doing things we could NEVER send a human to do because of the risk or simple impossibility of it... (things like, in a related vein, going to look for life on Europa-- notice how there is NO talk of manned missions to Europa... why is that?? Simply because, due to Europa's orbit within Jupiter's massive radiation belt, operating on the surface of Europa is the equivalent of camping out under the pressure vessel of an operating nuclear power plant reactor at full power, inside the radiation shielding-- fatal in minutes! In addition, supposing one DID land and immediately burrow under the ice for shielding, operating under an ice sheet miles thick in an ocean hundred of miles deep in a manned vehicle is simply infeasible in any possible future advanced technology scenario barring "magical" technology ala Star Trek/Star Wars... thus robotic exploration is PERFECTLY acceptable for this mission for which it is the ONLY possible alternative, yet because a manned Mars mission IS "technically" feasible and possible (given sufficient expenditure of time, talent, and money to develop the hardware to make it possible) manned Mars exploration is touted as the *only* way we're EVER going to *really* learn what's going on there... RUBBISH!!! )

Personally I think that dividing NASA up into at least three constituent parts, each separate entities, perhaps under a single over-arching authority sponsoring agency, is a good idea... One division would be SOLELY dedicated to developing, designing, building, testing, and flying ROBOTIC exploration space missions and satellite assets falling under NASA's present purview... The second division would be assigned the task of developing, designing, building, testing, flying, and training crews and controlling missions for MANNED space missions. The third division would be dedicated to the "pure research" and aeronautical research side of what NASA does (another part currently starved of funding to the extent possible when NASA needs more money for its "flagship" manned missions development). Notice I said virtually NOTHING about launch vehicle development... that's because, apart from some pure research in developing prototype or basic development work on new propulsion or improving existing chemical propellant engine design, those functions should ALL be turned over to commercial industry-- NASA should have ONLY enough in-house capability to accurately define and assess the capabilities and safety of commercially designed, built, tested, and delivered launch vehicle systems and choose the designs best suited to the mission as defined the most safely, sustainably, and cost-efficiently. THAT'S IT. No more "in-house" NASA-designed/Contractor-built with NASA oversight launch vehicles. Industry has proven itself COMPLETELY capable of LV development and design and overseeing their own operations in this regard, as Atlas V, Delta IV, and Falcon 9 (among many others) constantly proves. There is NO need for NASA to inefficiently duplicate this capability at GREAT expense over the course of decade-long programs (that usually end up getting canceled). This just makes sense, in the same way that the military does not actually DESIGN new tanks, planes, or ships, but merely defines the ROLES and MISSION, the requirements and specifications that the hardware has to be actually capable of achieving and performing, and then chooses among competing INDUSTRY designs and sponsoring prototype development and testing before selecting a final system and procuring it. NASA should do the same-- when NASA needs an HLV, put out the requirements to industry, gather proposals, evaluate them honestly, and then choose the best, safest, and most cost-efficient solution with the best prospects for success. PERIOD. NASA should ONLY be doing in design, development, and building, what industry is incapable of doing or inexperienced at doing-- spacecraft (well, cutting edge ones, as industry DOES have a LOT of experience with spacecraft, but deep-space spacecraft is more NASA's domain), advanced systems for manned deep space flight, such as habs, rovers, suits, etc... (yeah, industry again has a lot of experience here and SHOULD be tapped to the extent possible-- basically I'd relegate NASA to more of an oversight/advisory position on these types of things, and for pure research on advanced systems of the future, like Robonaut, In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU), advanced nuclear/electric/ion propulsion-- things like this for which there is no "commercial market" and for which industry is going to be unwilling to dedicate capital and research funding towards on their own... )

Most of this is EXACTLY the sort of thing Harrison "Jack" Schmitt is suggesting, among others... (next to last guy on the moon, the geologist turned Congressman who flew on Apollo 17). The good-old-boy network and bureaucracy NASA has become needs a good strong shake-up to get it moving again... IMHO!

Back