What are your least favorite (or most hated) rocket designs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did paint mine though the instructions stated not to. Only had one in the early '70's so I would certainly try it again.

Don't seal the balsa, don't fill the spirals, and just a light coat of paint. Thats all it needs.

If you build it, post photos!

I'm going to gather some hate here too, but for me it's any rocket with a BT-5 body tube. So your Wizard, Yankee, Viking, Hi-Flier, etc.....

This feature alone has caused me more grief with recovery than anything else. Doesn't matter how well I pack, I always struggle to get chutes and streamers to actually come out of the tube. I'll fly A8's with glee, but only of it's got a 24mm or larger body tube.

-Hans

I found the 18mm D21 to be a simple solution to that problem.

My antipathy towards the new and not improved Super Big Bertha is well established in a separate Mid-Power thread here recently.

But to summarize here for gripe's sake:

It was the needless multi-part fin construction that turned me off.

And the requirement to cut in the fin slots into the body tube at a time when every other sized rocket has the slots there for you.

Last edited:
1614797486473.png

No way!
Way!
Schwing.
I just finish my Grappler as well! Needs paint, but ready to fly. It's actually a pretty cool rocket. Can't wait to send it!

I won't say I hate them, but I don't see the appeal of pyramids, spools, Happy Meal boxes, etc. I guess I just like rockets that look like...rockets.

THIS ! ! !

Personally, I hate rockets with plastic components ( except for Nose Cones ) . . . That, especially, includes all ARF / RTF kits.

Dave F.

estes-ionizer.jpg

I see many people pay good money and spend hours and even days to build some of these rockets and I'm like, "You knew it would be that ugly before you started!" This is all a matter of opinion, of course, but where better to share an opinion than on the internet!

Here are some of my least favorite rocket features:

1. Dull, rounded off nose cones.
  2. Rectangular fins, especially if they come off at a 45 degree angle (looks like a child's drawing to me).
  3. Short, stubby rockets.
  4. Split fins (unless part of a scale model kit).
  5. Lame paint jobs (especially neon pink ones).
  6. Rockets designed to be under-powered so they fly low and slow.
How about you? What leaves you shaking your head when you see it? Again, not talking about construction techniques or anything, just design and finish. I'm curious how many posts it will take before someone describes what they hate most and it's my preferences!

View attachment 453198
Just... no.
Your preferences are your preferences....personally, I think it is all about the design no matter what the shape or size....I do like the short and stubby rockets, however I find that that getting something stable in flight when it’s not obviously so is neater than just making long, skinny ones. It’s nice to make something fly when it looks like “no way”.

- Nicely done paint jobs are always impressive....especially different paint schemes.
- I also like to see my rockets in flight....just strange that way I guess....so low and slow flights I like...

My peeve is the long, skinny designs so common....I like the odd rocs....just my 2 cents.

Another vote against the Big Bertha, never could understand the appeal of that fugly thing!
Mercifully, I had forgotten all about the similarly ugly Rock-it until one of you just had to bring it up!

I have a hard time getting excited about any sort of oddroc. ...I legitimately don't know why. Example: at QCRC last weekend, someone flew a traffic barrel on an M2400. Flew straight as an arrow. I'm sure engineering that thing so it flew well was crazy hard, and as an engineer I appreciate everything that went into it. As a rocketeer, I'm doubly impressed that they made it fly well. But I don't get excited about it, and I honestly have no idea why. I wish I COULD get excited by those to be honest.

My favorites are large rockets that are low/slow type things, and anything long burn.

Here's the traffic barrel pulled from FB, my congrats to them who flew it. Crazy impressive.
156372941_3941242465898314_2641574738441218517_o.jpg

Found this on YouTube. A Steampunk Super Big Bertha! And I must say, it's actually pretty awesome!

Skip to 6:42 for best view.

I hate anything Der Big Red Max and Goblin. I dont know why, they just are boring to me. Also oddrocs. I only care for scale or semi scale military stuff. The only non military birds I have are a 29mm Big Daddy, High Flyer XL, and a Star Orbiter. I also hate when people use epoxy on LP and MP rockets where a good wood glue is more than adequate. Makes no sense to me.

/end rant

Another vote against the Big Bertha, never could understand the appeal of that fugly thing!
Mercifully, I had forgotten all about the similarly ugly Rock-it until one of you just had to bring it up!
Glenn, I agreed with you, way back when. But somehow, the Big Bertha grew on me. We each try to put up extensive xmas lists so we'll still be surprised by what we actually get, and younger daughter got me one. It's not my favorite by a long shot but I'll enjoy it.

Best -- Terry

I never did build a Estes Goblin or Der Red Max in my youth. Then recently I built the LOC 4” Goblin and shortly thereafter a WM 5” Goblin. Oddly enough, those are two that I fly the most.

A couple of types.

Generally, ones that do NOT fly worth a darn. I do not mean height, I mean veer off of fly crappily.

And, SCALE kits that are painted in non-scale colors, where the builder still calls it by its scale name (If you are going to do a pink and purple Nike Smoke kit, name it something else).

I can recall a couple of huge HPR scale projects with a sponsors logo RUINING THE MODELS by being plastered on the body for flight. Coulda had a big banner next to it for display and at the pad, but noooooo, they had to ruin the scale effect of the whole project.

Oh, and then there was a big "Mercury Redsto" model. The builder didn't bother to put the Escape Tower on it, but still publicized it as what a great "scale" model it was. So, it wasn't really a complete Mercury Redstone. Fingernails...on...a....blackboard.

Last edited:
Glenn, I agreed with you, way back when. But somehow, the Big Bertha grew on me. We each try to put up extensive xmas lists so we'll still be surprised by what we actually get, and younger daughter got me one. It's not my favorite by a long shot but I'll enjoy it.

Best -- Terry

That's kinda my philosophy, too. I'm not going to buy one, but if you give me one, I'll build it the best I can.

Back