What are your least favorite (or most hated) rocket designs?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally love waterslide decals. They do take practice & finesse (and Micro-sol!) but once you have the technique, nothing beats them for smoothness & lay..
+1

Up to a certain size (when vinyl becomes more appropriate), waterslides are great. Although body wraps can definitely be... frustrating.

Can't say I hate any type of rocket in particular. Pretty much every rocket is cool in one way or another, even if only as a stepping stone in a rocketeer's progress to something else.

The conversation has been interesting though. :)
It's 8" in diameter and 14" tall making it the stubbiest rocket I've built. At 3lbs on the pad, 1.5lbs of that was lead in the nose for stability.
Half the mass in ballast?! That is seriously impressive, whether people think it's favorite or least-favorite material. Must have been something to be designing it and suddently hit upon doubling the wet mass as the optimum. As someone who enjoys designing more than building and nearly as much as flying, a eureka moment appeals to me, whether it happened quite that way or not. :cool:

Edit: originally said "dry mass" but meant "wet mass"
First is small rockets. WHY..WHY.. WHY....... Don't get me wrong. Some of the designs are wonderful. Rockets like the Orange Bullet, Wizard, Fox Fire, Laser, Maverick, Even the almighty Alpha. Why do they have to be so small. There is zero reason to build anything with a BT20 body tube unless you are purposely trying to make someone cuss. Even the BT50 is a bit small for my taste. While I own and have built hundreds of them, I always wish they were bigger.
Well, 18mm motors in airframes > 18mm just seem wasteful :D Though I certainly agree they're a PITA to pack. My solution for 18 and 24mm has been to use a piston to solve the ejection problem and a mylar streamer to solve the "tiny rocket easily lost in the sky by olde eyes problem."

Last edited:
My list is too long:

:p
1. 99% of all the rockets out there that look like 99% of all of the other rockets= tall, skinny, 3 rear swept fins. 2 people at a launch " What brand of rocket is that?", "I don't know as somebody gave it to me and the package was missing ,so it could be one of 50 different brands or 50 different models"
2. science fiction designs.
3. porta-potty (yes, multiple people have done it long before you, and it's not "cute"
4. crayons
5. spools- just plain non-rocket FUGLINESS

Yes, I'm old, really tired of the same stuff, decade after decade. Somebody just shoot me.

BTW there is no such thing as an ugly clustered rocket.

Uh, Yes there is... Despite my love of clusters (don't understand all the hate here!)...
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the horrendous 36 D-squared. Does anyone still have the sketches of its original livery with all the feminine charms intact? i.e. the 36 Double-D

Attachments

• 36dd.png
    36dd.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
My list is too long:

:p
1. 99% of all the rockets out there that look like 99% of all of the other rockets= tall, skinny, 3 rear swept fins. 2 people at a launch " What brand of rocket is that?", "I don't know as somebody gave it to me and the package was missing ,so it could be one of 50 different brands or 50 different models"
2. science fiction designs.
3. porta-potty (yes, multiple people have done it long before you, and it's not "cute"
4. crayons
5. spools- just plain non-rocket FUGLINESS

Yes, I'm old, really tired of the same stuff, decade after decade. Somebody just shoot me.
Man that's a lot of hate for a hobby that you supposedly like.

Uh, Yes there is... Despite my love of clusters (don't understand all the hate here!)...
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the horrendous 36 D-squared. Does anyone still have the sketches of its original livery with all the feminine charms intact? i.e. the 36 Double-D
I had one of those until very recently. It was only about two weeks after I stupidly threw it out that I saw that there is some demand for a fin template for it. 🤦‍♂️

Google silhouette images should yield a number templates for that shape fin :),

I hope all my skinny Estes Rockets end up in the trees or crashed so that I can end up with rockets 2.6 inches in diameter and up. All my future rockets will have 4 fins minimum. " real rockets have four fins";)

Back