What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not that much of a reader but some reading is necessary.
Right now I'm part way through "Mastering Object Oriented Design in C++".
After that I have a huge technical book on construction and operation of the Battleship Bismark called "Battleship Bismark Design and Operation History".
I have some other books on programming style and things like object oriented design that I've been skimming. (I would be considered a hobby programmer, not a professional programmer.)

Arthur C Clarke's "Against The Fall of Night"

His book "The City and the Stars", is basically a re-write of it, is one of my favorite books that I re read regularly.
I have only read "Against" once, decades ago, the similarities and differences are amazing.

"Beyond the Fall of Night"
The sequel to Clarke's "Against the Fall of Night" by Gregory Benford.
I'm not a fan of Benford, lets see if I can get through it.

Currently reading through the "Wisdom Books" volume of the Navarre Bible, a ten-volume series including the entire text of the RSV bible with extensive commentary that really helps to understand the significance of what you're reading and why it matters.

"Wisdom Books" is the fourth volume if you read them in the order the books of the bible are usually arranged, after the Pentateuch and two volumes containing the Old Testament history books. It includes Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Wisdom (of Solomon), and Sirach/Ecclesiasticus. I finished Ecclesiastes last night.

Currently-
"Battleship Bismark - a Design and Operational History"
"Joy in the Wilderness" (written by a missionary about his time in Mozambique)
various books on free pascal and lazarus

“The Big E, the Story of the USS Enterprise” by Edward Stanford. It’s a very detailed account of every major action that the Enterprise was a part of during WWII. Fascinating read.

Part way through this. Informative, eye opening, and a good read for the current time we live in.

Deaths-of-Despair-Capitalism.jpg

Kinda cheated today since it was a audio book my wife & I started listening on our visit to her doctor in Temple.
I got to say, James Lee Burke has got to be one of the most captivating story tellers out there.

1689735783098.png

Revisiting some favorites...started with "To Kill and Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights" is next on the list. One of my all-time favorites.
View attachment 586257
If you want to burn some time, and like classics, get "The Count of Monte Cristo". It is very long, and likely at least one inspiration for Stephen Kings' Shawshank Redemption. It's much longer, and far more involved, though. The general plot line is the same, except the escape is the beginning, rather than the end.

Reading old books can be a bit tedious... Constantly reading 19th century French names drove me nuts, because I have to do my best to pronounce them properly (in my head) as I go, but it was a good story.

Almost done re-reading Fellowship of the Ring. After that, Dispossessed by Ursula LeGuin, then A Canticle for Liebowtiz by Walter M. Miller Jr. (Can't find my copy of The Two Towers! It's somewhere in the house, just misplaced...)

If you want to burn some time, and like classics, get "The Count of Monte Cristo". It is very long, and likely at least one inspiration for Stephen Kings' Shawshank Redemption. It's much longer, and far more involved, though. The general plot line is the same, except the escape is the beginning, rather than the end.

I can’t agree enough with this. All of Dumas’ works are a great read. The Three Musketeers is awesome in book form, as is Twenty Years After. The action, and humor are very entertaining.

Well "Beyond the fall of night" was bad. Several times I put it down, only to pick it up again.

It has almost nothing to do with the book its based on.

2 out of 10, would not recommend.

Anyway, On to Blind Man's Bluff. The story of US submarine espionage.

A submarine book to cleanse the palet.

1692828386778.jpeg

I'm not a huge sports fan, but this is a well written and insightful book.

I'm reading a very large book about Battleship Bismark but I'm not making much progress on it.
I'm also reading a couple of books on pascal and lazarus programming.
I have started a book on Qcad but haven't got much interest in progressing on it right now. I use Autocad these days but I'm looking for an alternative when I lose my autocad access.

I expect to finish The Navarre Bible: Wisdom Books this evening with the last few chapters of the book of Sirach.

After that, I'll be taking a little break with the 16th volume of the Overlord light novel series, the last volume of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, and some other manga before continuing to the next volume of The Navarre Bible.

I bought a five paperback boxed set of Jules Verne novels. So far I've read "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "From the Earth to the Moon", and "Round the Moon". To read are "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", and "Around the World in Eighty Days". The "Moon" novels were an interesting read. He got an amazing amount of details right. The idea is that a group of men build a cannon and shoot a shell containing three of them at the moon. They build the cannon near Tampa, FL (Tampa Town), because the cannon needs to be aligned with the moon's orbit, and the further south, they gain the velocity of the Earth's rotation. He gets the distance to the moon correct, as is the escape velocity. One thing he missed is the weightlessness while in space. He though the men in the capsule (shell) would feel the exertion from Earth's gravity until midway, when they would transition to the moon's gravity. It's a fun read, if somewhat slow in places

Back