What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started GOT Book 3...........all I can say is that sucker better have the finale set to release soon.

You were warned. ;)

GRRM has spent ten years writing The Winds of Winter and there is still no release date. After that he has to write the finale, A Dream of Spring, and he is already 72. He is on record saying he doesn't want the series finished by someone else if he dies.

You were warned. ;)

GRRM has spent ten years writing The Winds of Winter and there is still no release date. After that he has to write the finale, A Dream of Spring, and he is already 72. He is on record saying he doesn't want the series finished by someone else if he dies.

Yeah, yeah, I know. All I can do is cross my fingers with the rest of you, now.

bit of origin story here regarding GRRM, since much love here for his work, and apologies if this is just more old news. according to Asimov's last autobiography (i think he wrote three? he liked to talk about himself :) ) in the days before all the scumbag print publishers left for hollywood, there was a print publisher named george r martin, of no relation to the author of the same moniker, who was so despised and reviled as to evoke said author to add a second R to his name. Asimov spoke highly of GRRM.

George RR Martin is also very active in various Railroad restoration projects.

So maybe the RR stands for . . .

Finished Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse 8) and am now semi-patiently waiting for Leviathan Falls to be released in November. I'm unhappy about waiting but it's far from the worst wait I've ever had for a book. *glares at GRRM*

Note that the entirety of The Expanse (9 novels + novella/short story collection) was written after the release of A Dance with Dragons.

Easier because the Expanse is written by two guys rather than one, lol.

Just starting Sarah Zettel's; Fool's War.
If you are a Science Fiction reader, you need to look up this author's work.

barcelona-villalonga-relaciones_carnales.jpg
Barcelona, a journalist for Pagina 12, and Villalonga, a contributor to the D y N agency and to the magazine "Somos" relate the results of their investigation into the Condor missile, deactivated by Menem under pressure from the Bush administration. They maintain that the technology for its construction still exists.

You were warned. ;)

Finished A Dance With Dragons this evening…..ugh, why did I do this to myself???

Picked up Modern Control Engineering which was my text book for Control Systems back in 1990. Started reading from the start to remind me what I have forgotten about.

I received a book the other day and got excited. It was supposed to be a book on optimal control, but the one that arrived was a book I needed for work which was actually the British building and wiring code :(. Still waiting for optimal control book...

Finished Project Hail Mary. Nice to know I’ve got a planet named after me… even if it is fictional. 🤪
Started Mort.

I can only hope someone else sees our back and forth as a cautionary tale. :headspinning:

That's no lie. And I just made the error of looking on his page........and I can't believe it's been TEN YEARS since Dance With Dragons was published.......WTH, GRRM??? GET BUSY WIDDIT!!!!! GAAAAAAAH!!!!

I will say, I like the direction the book is taking as compared to the HBO production(which I enjoyed as well!)

I just finished reading "A Woman of No Importance". It is the true story of an American woman, Virginia Hall, who became one of the top British agents in the French resistance. She had to leave France after the Gestapo made her enemy number one as she was incredibly successful. She escaped over the mountains into Spain. Climbing through thick snow and going over a 10,000 foot pass even though she had a prosthetic leg (which she hid from people). After being debriefed in London she makes it clear she wants to go back. The Brits refuse as she is the most wanted person in France. So what does she do? She joins the OSS and gets the Americans to send her to France. She excels again. Well worth your time if you have an interest in WWII.

I put down the regularly scheduled reading and picked up "Dune". I think I have books two and three on the shelf. I think I have several more, but as I recall, only the first three were actually worth reading.

I haven't been around here much lately, but I had to drop in to mention a truly remarkable book I just finished. Part Greek fable/ancient historical fiction/modern fiction/contemporary fiction/science fiction wound together in a compelling story: "Cloud Cuckoo Land". The author, Anthony Doerr, won a Pulitzer for his first novel, which I have on order now.

I've also recently finished "Electrify : an optimist's playbook for our clean energy future". The guy really is an optimist but seems to have a lot of thought in it. The theme is that absolutely everything should be electrical; transportation, industry, and homes. Not tomorrow, of course, but working towards that eventually. He claims that the total energy consumption (in Watts) would be cut in half or less, if all was electrical due to savings in conversions and efficiency.

And a new David Weber book came out last month: "To End In Fire". (with Eric Flint) This is the latest in the 'Crown of Slaves' branch of the Honor Harrington universe. The cover blurb reads like this may be the conclusion of this branch.

"I felt like working today, but I sat down and rested until the feeling passed."

Last edited:
I'm about half-way through Neal Stephenson's "Quicksilver", the first book in his "Baroque Cycle" trilogy.

Currently working my way through two; Reclamation by Sarah Zettel and Thronebreakers by Rebbecca Coffindaffer.

How was the Woodrow Wilson book?

Somehow I've made my way through the entire "American Presidents" series up to Wilson (I have the book on Harding waiting in the wings). The Wilson book provided a really good overview, perfect for anyone who wants to know the basics of what happened during his presidency. Despite its relative brevity, I learned a lot that I didn't know, including that he was almost incapacitated for the last 17 months of his 2nd term after suffering a serious stroke. The book didn't say much about the racism that many have accused him of and I was hoping to learn more about that. But for most of the big issues, such as how he made the rare jump from university president to politician, his pre-New Deal politics as an activist president, the entry into WWI, his disappointment over the League of Nations, etc., all receive enough discussion for a decent understanding. It's not a heavily detailed book, but it made for a great introduction. If you've already read a thick, or even a moderately thick, book on Wilson, you probably won't learn very much.

Back