What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love everything Heinlein has written. TCWWTW has characters from other Heinlein novels. If you haven't already done so I would suggest reading Methuselah's Children, Time Enough for Love, and The Number of the Beast, as they introduce characters used in The Cat Who Walked Through Walls.

Best -- Terry
Meh. Once Heinlein decided he would be a Great Author I sort of lost interest.

I love everything Heinlein has written. TCWWTW has characters from other Heinlein novels. If you haven't already done so I would suggest reading Methuselah's Children, Time Enough for Love, and The Number of the Beast, as they introduce characters used in The Cat Who Walked Through Walls.

Best -- Terry
Thank you...
I'll give those a go. I "bogged down" and never finished "Stranger In A Strange Land". The early ones were easy... "Starship Troopers" & "Orphans Of The Sky".

I'm about a half-inch into "Walkaway" by Cory Doctorow. So far, it's about a high tech distopian world, where most "stuff" can be had by making it in a printer. The world seems to mostly be run by "zettas" (people with 10^21 dollars or more). They are in charge because they are the only ones paying taxes. Most of the laws are written for their benefit, because they are the ones paying taxes. A daughter of one of the zillionaires and two of her friends leave it all behing and go "walkaway". They end up in a place where personal possesions don't really have much meaning, and since the society isn't based on who has what or how much, a lot of their ideas are turned upside down. Then the walkaways discover how to beat death. It looks like it's going to get really interesting from here.

Try and find a copy of Damon Knight's "A is For Anything" aka "The People Maker". It's about the world after an inventor sends out thousands of copies of a machine that can duplicate anything.

Chaos ensues.

Purchased Kindle editions of
Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test to reread for the first time since the 70's
The entire set (5 books) of Larry Niven's Fleet Of Worlds precedes Ringworld by about 200 years.

Rereading Dan Simmons's Ilium and Olympos.Anyone who's really deep into science fiction should read these two.This guy is fantastic, his Hyperion won the Hugo award for the Best Science Fiction Novel.Absolutely brilliant stuff.ILIUM and OLYMPOS are both around 400 page novels but I finished them both in about three and a half days.Really engrossing stuff, I couldn't put any of them down.He's right up there with true literary giants, like Asimov and Herbert.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

The latest book by the author of 'The Martian'. I wasn't too thrilled with 'Artemis'; it was ok, but no 'Martian'. This one, maybe still not a 'Martian', but a really fun read. A two-sitting read (I started late and had to sleep). A lot of the dry humor (and a few LOL's), and a bunch of 'science the (crap) out of it'. Reminds me a lot of Hal Clement novels.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

The latest book by the author of 'The Martian'. I wasn't too thrilled with 'Artemis'; it was ok, but no 'Martian'. This one, maybe still not a 'Martian', but a really fun read. A two-sitting read (I started late and had to sleep). A lot of the dry humor (and a few LOL's), and a bunch of 'science the (crap) out of it'. Reminds me a lot of Hal Clement novels.
Thanks. This is on my to read list.

Women After All. I was pretty well convinced women should run the world before I picked it up. There is no doubt now. The typical alpha male is a power hungry, self-centered, gonad and testosterone driven animal. They screw the world up for everyone else.

"The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien
Saw an interview with Alex Lifeson talking about how Rory Gallagher gave him a copy when they toured together. Figured I needed to find out what that was about.

I just finished Semiosis, the first in a two-book series by Sue Burke, a writer I had not read before. It's a good read about human colonists on planet Pax, and the challenges they encounter adapting to living with the existing sentiences there.

It was a fun read and I look forward to reading book 2. Nothing mind blowing, just a creative take on consciousness and a reminder that our perception of being on top of the food chain may not be as complete as we think it is.

Had a long drive to do this weekend so I finished Dune Messiah. (I listened to Dune and Children of Dune before that). I finished Skunkworks (really good), and started and and almost finished Men in Green Faces. When I say long drive I mean 32 hours round trip :)

I'm re-reading Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. Apple TV is doing a Foundation series and so I thought I'd read it again. Probably been 30 years or more.
I should give this another try. I started reading it as a kid and couldn't connect with it somehow. It remains one of the few major works that I put down due to lack of compelling interest.

I should give this another try. I started reading it as a kid and couldn't connect with it somehow. It remains one of the few major works that I put down due to lack of compelling interest.

I had almost forgotten about Asimov. I need to see what Audible has from him...

I've had a hard time finishing Shelby Foote's trilogy, The Civil War: A Narrative.

Volume 1: Fort Sumter to Perryville. He finished this one the same year that I was born, 1958
Volume 2: Fredericksburg to Meridian. He finished this volume in 1962
Volume 3: Red River to Appomattox. He finished this volume in 1974 and started it in 1964 so I don't feel too bad about t aking so long to read it.

I've started and finished Fort Sumter to Perryville once. The plan was to read all three back to back. I've read volume 1 partially a few times since and kind of started on volume 2. Volume 3 is patiently waiting.

It hasn't been any easier to find the time to listen to it on audio book. Volume 1 is over 400,000 words. That's' a lot of miles of driving...

Had a long drive to do this weekend so I finished Dune Messiah. (I listened to Dune and Children of Dune before that). I finished Skunkworks (really good), and started and and almost finished Men in Green Faces. When I say long drive I mean 32 hours round trip :)
Absolutely love the Dune Chronicles, read all of them.God Emperor of Dune is my favorite with Chapter House being a close second.My second favorite is HYPERION from Dan Simmons, one of the best sci fi stories ever written.His imagination seems almost limitless.I've lost track of how many times I've reread it.Quite a unique story in many ways.

I'll have to check out Hyperion. Dune is stuck in my head... It's so well written that it can be hard to remember that it's fiction. It is is fiction right? :D

I'll have to check out Hyperion. Dune is stuck in my head... It's so well written that it can be hard to remember that it's fiction. It is is fiction right? :D
Yes, it is fiction, but you're right.Herbert was an absolute master at putting a story together.He created a whole new universe with Dune.His writing has shaped my views on politics and religion quite a bit.

Listening to 1356 by Bernard Cornwell, book four and final book in his Grail series. Not nearly as good as his Last Kingdom series, which I highly recommend.
There's a good BBC dramatization of 'A Perfect Spy' available, filmed in suitably dreary settings...

I found both the book and movie boring boring boring. The Russian that ran the British spy (Pym?) was the true perfect spy . . . Pym was merely a puppet.

Just finished The Girl from Venice and just started Havana Bay from Martin Cruz Smith.

Havana Bay . . . almost all of the Arkady Renko novels are superb. Martin Cruz Smith is a very good author. Try Stallion’s Gate.

I just finished the Artemis audio book this week. Enjoyed it and think it is a story that could go on .

Also recently completed a couple of the Jack Greaney Campus novel audio books .. Fun also.

Kenny

Liked Artemis, just not as much as The Martian. Have Andy Weir’s latest book, Project Hail Mary and it’s next in the que.

I found both the book and movie boring boring boring.

It's probably an acquired taste. All the BBC dramatizations were/ are notorious / celebrated for being deliberately very different than the kind of TV or film that would get made today. Sometimes an episode seemed to centre on little more than a teacup being moved or a conversation in a pub.

Back