What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
written by the drummer from the band rush, neal pearts 19 yo daughter died in a single car accident. 10 months later his wife of 23 years succumbed to cancer. neal said she died of a broken heart.
soon after, he took a 14 month, 55,000 mile ride through north and central america.
the book is a geographical and emotional chronicle of his journey.
View attachment 447918

I would love to read that book.

That sounds really interesting. Somewhere I've got a book that was given to me, about an A-6 crew in the first Gulf War. I think I'll dig it out and put it at the top of the reading pile.

Oops, no. I must have sent the book on. That's something I like about reading; passing a good book on to a friend.

Instead, I'm reading "Air War - Vietnam" by Frank Harvey (pub. 1967). Its about a journalist that spends about two months in Vietnam and looks at the various forms of air power used in support of the war by the Navy, Air Force, Army, and Marines. Fixed and rotary wings, and river recon/interdiction. It's interesting looking at the technology from the perspective of 1967. The F111 was just coming into service. Very little on politics, except as it had to do with the immediate situation.

The Map That Changed the World by Simon Winchester.

I have read it a couple times already, but it has been several years. Decided I have forgotten enough to read again.

I guess I wasn't intellectual enough to appreciate that book, as I finished it and thought it was just simply ridiculous
I read it once in middle school (maybe 7-8 grade?) and once as an adult. As a middle schooler, I found it a profound social commentary (in the context of ~1980 geopolitical issues going on, cold war, threat of communism, etc...).

When I read it again maybe 10 years ago, it had much less impact on me. Maybe I'm jaded in my old age. Maybe I remembered enough of it that there wasn't a wow factor anymore. Maybe my view of political concerns has shifted significantly...

Yeah, here a biker is anyone on a motorcycle. Bikies are the "Gangs". Even the God Squad are called a Gang here and anyone wearing colours in public is a committing a criminal offence.

Wow! What constitutes "colors"? Is it just the style of clothing (sleeveless vest)? Or what's on the clothing? Or both?

I'm about a half-inch into "Walkaway" by Cory Doctorow. So far, it's about a high tech distopian world, where most "stuff" can be had by making it in a printer. The world seems to mostly be run by "zettas" (people with 10^21 dollars or more). They are in charge because they are the only ones paying taxes. Most of the laws are written for their benefit, because they are the ones paying taxes. A daughter of one of the zillionaires and two of her friends leave it all behing and go "walkaway". They end up in a place where personal possesions don't really have much meaning, and since the society isn't based on who has what or how much, a lot of their ideas are turned upside down. Then the walkaways discover how to beat death. It looks like it's going to get really interesting from here.

Just bought book 4 for the Expanse series. And bought the first 3 about something about a Discworld...😉
Terry Pratchett I think...

Last edited:
Read "Makers" a few weeks ago. Passed it on to a niece that has her BS in ME.
Want to read "Radicalized". A teaser for "Unauthorized Bread" was in "Makers". About a woman that tries to repair a toaster.

Re-reading "The Man Who Walked Through Time", Colin Fletcher's 1963 walk through the Grand Canyon from one end of the park to the other (in park boundaries of the time), entirely and continuously below the rim. Evocative writing: you can almost hear the silence and see the black rock of the canyon's inner gorge. Fletcher deserves a large share of the credit for the surge of backpacking's popularity in the 70's and 80's.

"Homicide" by David Simon (creator of the tv series The Wire). He writes about being imbedded with the Baltimore homicide unit for a year and following the detectives as they deal with 2 murders every 3 days.

"Area X: The Southern Reach Trilogy" by Jeff VanderMeer.

From which the movie "Annihilation" was very, very, loosely based.

After "bingeing" on Vince Flynn novels for the last couple of weeks, I've started on "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls" by Heinlein.
I love everything Heinlein has written. TCWWTW has characters from other Heinlein novels. If you haven't already done so I would suggest reading Methuselah's Children, Time Enough for Love, and The Number of the Beast, as they introduce characters used in The Cat Who Walked Through Walls.

Best -- Terry

About half way through "The Starless Sea", by Erin Morgenstern. It's about... Umm, stories? Books? Stories about books? Books containing stories? Tellers of stories? Guardians of books? Underground libraries in fantasy domains under siege by guardians of books? Honestly one of the weirdest books I've ever read, and completely enthralling.

Last edited:
Back