What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Midway - The Battle that doomed Japan" by Mitsuo Fuchida and Masatake Okumiya.

Translated from japanese....after watching the movie, and reading Walter Lord's book, thought I'd read something from the Japanese perspective by the pilot that led the raid on Pearl harbor and survived Midway.<snip>
I recently read "Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway", and thought it was excellent - written decades after Fuchida's book, the author refutes some of Fuchida's claims, with solid research to back it up. I'd highly recommend that as a follow-up read. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34658.Shattered_Sword

Yet another rant... An object in orbit is NOT in aerodynamic flight. If you hit it, or blow it up, the pieces pretty much stay in orbit. It does NOT fall out of orbit like an airplane crashing.
Actually they DO "fall" out of orbit. Just extremely slow (at first). But yes, not as fast as an airplane.

Bought these online and they have recently arrived. Have read sections of each.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 6
Avogadro Corp , a different take on AI
recommended also -- a short , very strange, mind bending book called The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Bought it several years ago. Currently re-reading it via the logic that it is useful to review and refresh one's knowledge of things.

Attachments

• IMG_016233.jpg
    IMG_016233.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 3
Recon by Rick Partlow. Military SF. Think Marines in space and if Warhammer comes to mind, this book is about the “crunchies” rather than the battle armor mech jocks. Surprisingly well written for the genre. Author has clearly “seen the elephant “ up close and personal.

Mindless entertainment but it has kept me up late to read “just one more chapter”.

It’s a “free“ read on Kindle Unlimited so $9.95 a month for all you eat.

I'm very close to finishing the 22nd book in the American Presidents series on Grover Cleveland. I have been reading the series in order off and on for about 3 years now and I'm almost to the 20th century. Since Cleveland served 2 non-consecutive terms, the next book goes back in time to Benjamin Harrison and then the book after that features McKinley and the 20th century. The Cleveland book was interesting in its telling of the beginnings of the modern Democratic party (Cleveland was the first Democrat elected president after the Civil War) via the Farmers Alliance and the country's gradual emergence from isolationism, though Cleveland largely opposed a larger role for America in the world and even opposed Hawaii annexation and war against Spain over Cuba. All of that would, of course, change soon after he lost re-nomination from his own party and McKinley swept to power on principles that Cleveland held but that "New Democrats" had dropped in favor of William Jennings Bryan's silver standard platform. I also never knew about the Olney Doctrine. Reading this series has made me realize just how clueless I was on American history (or arguably on the standard picture).

1604853751453.png

Last edited:
Just finished "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen.
Quick read that sucks you in about a small North Carolina town's reaction to the United States being hit by an EMP strike.

"Variable Star" is a newer novel by Spider Robinson, written (quite well) in Heinlein's style, from an old outline of RAH's. Reads very much like Heinlein.
Finished 'Variable Star', on your recommendation, and enjoyed it very much. (Bits of things there from "Double Star", "Farmer in the Sky", and "The Door Into Summer", certainly others.) The library didn't have "For Us, the Living" so I had to buy it on Kindle and working on it now. I'll have to lookup more Spider Robinson too.
Bought these online and they have recently arrived. Have read sections of each.
I love the Tom Corbett stories. See if you can find a copy of 'Rip Foster', very much like TC. I think there's only one RF book and I forget the title (and actually it appeared under two different titles)(so no need to buy it twice like I did).
Just finished "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen.
Quick read that sucks you in about a small North Carolina town's reaction to the United States being hit by an EMP strike.
Enjoyed that one very much. Probably been about a hundred post-EMP novels since that one but it's probably the best.

Recent stuff here got me to dig out my Heinlein books, so I'm re-reading "The Door Into Summer" for the umptyeleventh time. I'd love to see that in a movie. The same book boxes turned up John Varley's "Red Thunder" so I had to re-read that - sort of like an updated version of 'Rocketship Galileo'. Also came up with Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" that I've always thought was his best, so I'm in the middle of that too.

Last edited:
"The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco. One of my favorite movies, but have never read the book. As usual, the book is (even) better than the film.

Also just finished a monograph on the North American F-107A fighter bomber, another on the F9F Panther and "Bluebird and the Dead Lake", a narrative of Donald Campbell's troubled land speed record attempts (and eventual success) at Lake Eyre Australia back in the early sixties.

In The Charcuterie. It's sort of a cookbook so not really reading as much as browsing for ideas and stuff to potentially try. Usually ends up with me looking for a snack in the kitchen.

s-l640.jpg

Back