What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister gave me Worth the Fighting For by John McCain as a birthday present last year, so i should propbably open that up. Not entirely sure why she picked that book to send, but im sure itll be interesting.

Just finished "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" by Edgar Allen Poe. I had read parts of it before but went the whole hog this time. English has evolved from when it was written, so I was reaching for a dictionary quite a bit. There was even a science fiction story about a comet hitting the earth, as discussed by a couple of people who were dead!

Interesting character. I first learned of his writings from the Alan Parsons Project album "Tales of Mystery and Imagination", inspired by Poe. I visited Poe's grave when in Baltimore last year out of interest.

Lots of interesting info on wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allan_Poe

TMI.jpg

Just finished "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" by Edgar Allen Poe. I had read parts of it before but went the whole hog this time. English has evolved from when it was written, so I was reaching for a dictionary quite a bit. There was even a science fiction story about a comet hitting the earth, as discussed by a couple of people who were dead!

Interesting character. I first learned of his writings from the Alan Parsons Project album "Tales of Mystery and Imagination", inspired by Poe. I visited Poe's grave when in Baltimore last year out of interest.

View attachment 424290
Grew up with a mother who used to teach English before I was born. Had a love of reading instilled at an early age. I first read Poe around the age of 10. The Raven, of course.

Also love Robert Service, especially "The Cremation of Sam Magee."

View attachment 424290
Indeed a fascinating man. Definitely the victim of slander after his death. All reports are that he rarely drank at all. He is actually the inventor of the murder mystery genre of literature for which he is rarely credited.

Jim

Read so many books the last 6 years that I got burned out and quit reading the last year. The last book that my wife wanted me to read was a complete waste of 5 hours of my life, every author is just another human who has limited knowledge, and as the old saying goes," we all believe things that are wrong"

This isn't a cookbook in the traditional sense that it is full of recipes. But a book on how to do BBQ right, with some recipes to help. I would call this a smoking/BBQ manifesto.

61-QJsvUMeL._SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Just stumbled on to this thread, and caught up with it all.....going to have to add some of these to my library. Not currently reading anything, but would echo a lot of the likes for:

Cussler/Dirk Pitt......"Raise The Titanic!" was my first Pitt read, in the early 80's, shortly before she was found for real. Can't get into his collaboration Pitt books.
Dean Koontz......all of them, except maybe some of his early work.
Dan Brown......love the Robert Langdon books.
Dale Brown......man, the adventures that guy wrote.....Flight of The Old Dog
David Eddings......stellar
Stephen R. Donaldson.....the Covenant series are the only ones of his I've read.

James Michener.......Space......loved this one.

I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned Margaret Weis' Star of the Guardians series......good space fantasy read there.

Just finished up the 16 volumes of The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson. Started reading the series in 2008 and here in 2020 the final volume is complete.

You have to be a fan of naval warfare and operations...and alternate history novels.

I have also just finished volume 16 of The Dresden Files. Next month the final volume will be released. Been reading that one since 2008 as well. Urban Fantasy at its finest and some of the concepts and events have become cultural references.

I will miss both these “worlds”.

Just stumbled on to this thread, and caught up with it all.....going to have to add some of these to my library. Not currently reading anything, but would echo a lot of the likes for:

Cussler/Dirk Pitt......"Raise The Titanic!" was my first Pitt read, in the early 80's, shortly before she was found for real. Can't get into his collaboration Pitt books.
Dean Koontz......all of them, except maybe some of his early work.
Dan Brown......love the Robert Langdon books.
Dale Brown......man, the adventures that guy wrote.....Flight of The Old Dog
David Eddings......stellar
Stephen R. Donaldson.....the Covenant series are the only ones of his I've read.

James Michener.......Space......loved this one.

I'm a bit surprised nobody mentioned Margaret Weis' Star of the Guardians series......good space fantasy read there.

If you can find them now, the Stephen R Donaldson Gap series was really good.
Kind of a space drama but pretty fast paced.

Found a Nero Wolfe novel (Too Many Women) that I hadn't read yet. Rex Stout wrote some great characters, set mostly in the 1940s-60s. Nero Wolfe is a private detective who (almost) never leaves the house on business, and rarely for any other reason. For that he has Archie Goodwin, who has the memory, wit, and presence of mind that most of us would like to have. Archie goes out and gets the people and the facts, Wolfe listens to Archie, interviews the people he brings in, charges exorbitant fees, and solves the crimes. Wolfe is also a genius, conceited, overweight, an epicure, a gourmet, and a lover of orchids and of beer.

and the study desk had 3d virtual reality and a voice writer. lets see waterbed(1), spacesuit(2), mobile phone(3)...makes me wonder how many other things he designed :).
Rex
(1)stranger in a strange land
(2) have spacesuit will travel
(3) space cadet
In "Friday" (1982) he describes an information system that sounds an awful lot like today's internet. Without the cats.

Found a Nero Wolfe novel (Too Many Women) that I hadn't read yet. Rex Stout wrote some great characters, set mostly in the 1940s-60s. Nero Wolfe is a private detective who (almost) never leaves the house on business, and rarely for any other reason. For that he has Archie Goodwin, who has the memory, wit, and presence of mind that most of us would like to have. Archie goes out and gets the people and the facts, Wolfe listens to Archie, interviews the people he brings in, charges exorbitant fees, and solves the crimes. Wolfe is also a genius, conceited, overweight, an epicure, a gourmet, and a lover of orchids and of beer.
Well, someone who likes beer can’t be all bad.

Just saying.

Re-read Whipping Star by Herbert and have started on The Dosadi Experiment by the same. I have to correct my previous statement about learning the difference between prejudice and bias: It was in The Dosadi Experiment.

I read so much I feel like I should post here but it’s basically all for work.

So let’s just say I'm reading the Wikipedia and I'm at page 6. Good story so far. Many plot twists. Some say it’s based on a true story but I don’t know. Seems pretty far out to me.

Every book in the Expanse series, as soon as they are/were released, on audio.
The Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson. Vic is a hoot!
I loved the Vorkorsigan series (space opera) by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Most of the Honorverse series. Got bogged down in the later books.
Always enjoy The Deed of Paksenarrion.
Anything in the Bobiverse.
For the psychologically minded... anything/everything by James Hollis. (Jungian Analyst)
Currently reading Understanding Wood by Bruce Hoadley.

Every book in the Expanse series, as soon as they are/were released, on audio.
The Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson. Vic is a hoot!
I loved the Vorkorsigan series (space opera) by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Most of the Honorverse series. Got bogged down in the later books.
Always enjoy The Deed of Paksenarrion.
Anything in the Bobiverse.
For the psychologically minded... anything/everything by James Hollis. (Jungian Analyst)
Currently reading Understanding Wood by Bruce Hoadley.
My take on the Honorverse as well. Top notch space opera in the early volumes but pedantic in the later ones.

Bingo. i bet you could tell by recognizing the Liar on my avatar

edit*** Louis Wu is the main character in Larry Niven classic ‘Ringworld’. A must-read for sci fi fans

Back