What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I'm on book two of the "Three Body Problem" trilogy by Chinese author Cxin Liu. Actually, I've put it down for a couple of days because "Hardcore Twenty-Four" by Janet Evonovich just came out in paperback (her stuff is one of my literary guilty pleasures).

I'm on book two of the "Three Body Problem" trilogy by Chinese author Cxin Liu. Actually, I've put it down for a couple of days because "Hardcore Twenty-Four" by Janet Evonovich just came out in paperback (her stuff is one of my literary guilty pleasures).
Working through the works of Mark Twain on my kobo...

I'm doing the audiobooks of the three body problem trilogy now. I'm 1/3 through Death's End. The entire series has been very unexpected...just different all around.

I recently finished the latest book by Andy Weir: Artemis: A Novel. A pretty good read, but be forewarned, it's got nothing to do with his previous book. Except space... There, a little spoiler... Gotta see if I got my latest Felix (Dick) Francis novel yet. those are my guilty pleasure, still keeps me attached to the horse world (sort of...) books to read.

Awesome series!!! I'm pretty sure I have every book he ever released.

I might not be far behind you, Apprentice Adept series is probably my favorite. Another favorite series of mine is by Harry Harrison The Stainless Steel Rat series, as well as anything by David Eddings and Terry Brooks (Terry was just in Richland WA last night for a book signing, and is in Portland OR tonight iirc). My cousin is a author of SF/Fantasy pen name Honor Ranconteur (she is also the owner of Ranconteur House publishing, and has written a several series such as the Advent Mage series) and her father is a writer as well Glenn Michaels (The Wizard Engineer) he's also a Electrical Engineer.

I might not be far behind you, Apprentice Adept series is probably my favorite. Another favorite series of mine is by Harry Harrison The Stainless Steel Rat series, as well as anything by David Eddings and Terry Brooks (Terry was just in Richland WA last night for a book signing, and is in Portland OR tonight iirc). My cousin is a author of SF/Fantasy pen name Honor Ranconteur (she is also the owner of Ranconteur House publishing, and has written a several series such as the Advent Mage series) and her father is a writer as well Glenn Michaels (The Wizard Engineer) he's also a Electrical Engineer.

As far as Piers Antony favorites, Macroscope is my favorite stand alone book. His Adept series is my favorite series too. I haven't read any David Eddings yet, but have plowed through all the older Terry Brooks stuff. Haven't started on the most recent Elfstone ish what ever series yet...
If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend the Stephen R Donaldson GAP series. Awesome stuff. I've also read all of Terry Goodkind's Truth series and the sub sequels from that series...

Just finished reading four books by Len Beadell, probably the last real explorer in Australia. He surveyed 6500km of roads in the middle of Australia where there were none, and guided the equipment along to turn them into the roads we have today. It also included survey and exploration for the Woomera rocket range, and two test sites for atomic bomb tests. A really good read about difficult times in the bush: https://www.beadell.com.au/

Before that was a re-read of "Truth, Lies and O-Rings", and also first time read of "War and Peace"

Figuring out what to read next...

As far as Piers Antony favorites, Macroscope is my favorite stand alone book. His Adept series is my favorite series too. I haven't read any David Eddings yet, but have plowed through all the older Terry Brooks stuff. Haven't started on the most recent Elfstone ish what ever series yet...
If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend the Stephen R Donaldson GAP series. Awesome stuff. I've also read all of Terry Goodkind's Truth series and the sub sequels from that series...
I have read Donaldsons' Thomas Covenant series and The Mirror of Her Dreams series. Another favorite if short series is Michael Stackpoles Dark Glory War.

Millionaire Teacher by Andrew Hallam. Recommended to me by my brother in law because he didn't want me to fall for early career financial mistakes. Worth the information whether you're early, mid or late career and exploring investing options.

I recently finished the latest book by Andy Weir: Artemis: A Novel. A pretty good read, but be forewarned, it's got nothing to do with his previous book. Except space... There, a little spoiler... Gotta see if I got my latest Felix (Dick) Francis novel yet. those are my guilty pleasure, still keeps me attached to the horse world (sort of...) books to read.
I just finished the Artemis audio book this week. Enjoyed it and think it is a story that could go on .

Also recently completed a couple of the Jack Greaney Campus novel audio books .. Fun also.

Kenny

I'm doing the audiobooks of the three body problem trilogy now. I'm 1/3 through Death's End. The entire series has been very unexpected...just different all around.
Loved the first one, can't get into the second. I think maybe it's because the voices seem changed due to the new translator? Not sure, just haven't made it in.

I'm working my way through all the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler. Just finished Valhalla Rising and I'm 5 chapters in on The Trojan Odyssey.

I'm working my way through all the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler. Just finished Valhalla Rising and I'm 5 chapters in on The Trojan Odyssey.

I am a big fan of the Dirk Pitt books... I started reading them in middle school in the 90's, and love them! Cant seem to get into Cussler's other series, though.

I am currently starting on We Got Him, the autobiography of one of the Colonels who led the team that captured Saddam. I figured I should read it after talking with him, and the fact that his company just built two amazing AKMs for me!

Doing "Ready Player One"

And we did 'Artemis' this summer. Good read, but the ending, I though, could have been better.. too quick & easy & seemed rushed..

Just finished The Girl from Venice and just started Havana Bay from Martin Cruz Smith.

A Perfect Spy by Johnn Le Carre. Ralph S. Mouse (Cleary), with my son. The Invisible Man (Wells) with my daughter.

I am a big fan of the Dirk Pitt books... I started reading them in middle school in the 90's, and love them! Cant seem to get into Cussler's other series, though.

I am currently starting on We Got Him, the autobiography of one of the Colonels who led the team that captured Saddam. I figured I should read it after talking with him, and the fact that his company just built two amazing AKMs for me!

Yeah, it's a good series. Some good ones, some just meh, but mostly good. My wife tracked down the whole collection for me, and we even got a big box of hardcovers for $20 at a book sale one time.

I'm in the middle of one that a lot of folks here will probably love......

"How to Invent Everything - A Survival Guide for the Stranded Time Traveler" by Ryan North. Brilliant, funny, and actually very informative. The premise is this is a manual that is included when you rent a time machine, and you use it in case the time machine breaks stranding you somewhere in time before civilization has begun. With it you have all the necessary info to rebuild civilization from scratch. It guides you through everything thing inventing language, math, science, etc., on to agriculture, nutrition, medicine, then to technology, and engineering, to religion, philosophy, art, music, etc.

This allows you to bypass thousands of years at a time that it originally took us to figure some things out. Way fun, and pretty dang cool. Check it out, I bet some of you are going to love it.

s6

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally getting around to the Dragons of Eden.

Just finished a Mind at Play, was a very well written biography of Claude Shannon.

The Picture Of Dorian Gray , Oscar Wilde.
Some very heavy Edwardian text .

I started to read that, but got bogged down in one of the interminably long sections on some horribly boring stuff (for me anyway). I just got back from Ireland and had wanted to read it before we went, but I couldn't do it. So on the trip I started reading one of Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma mysteries; Night of the Lightbringer.

It is a bit tedious, I'll agree. But there's much to learn and he attempts to teach it with great detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put down a crappy timewaster, about to start Tesla, Inventor of the Modern by Richard Munson.

On the sci-fi front, I read The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin not too long ago. I thought it had some failures in its world-building, but was thought-provoking commentary on how we organize society.

Back