What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished up The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel recently. 6 book fantasy series. Entertaining, some educational information, I give it a solid B to B+.

Something you see all the time in movies or TV shows is the bad guy threatening somebody with a semi-auto pistol, or a pump-action shotgun or even a lever-action rifle. Then, to show he is serious about the threat, said bad guy, pulls-back the slide on the pistol or racks the shotgun or levers the lever so as to make himself look tough.

The problem is that no shell is ejected when they do this, thus demonstrating that the gun had no round in the chamber. Sometimes they even do this more than once, thus demonstrating that the gun is unloaded.
“It’s not about the true-to-life accuracy, it’s about sending a message.”

A337EB08-19C8-4FDE-BCE0-E666C4A2B8AD.jpeg

“It’s not about the true-to-life accuracy, it’s about sending a message.”

View attachment 502779

Then I think they failed, as only an idiot would threaten someone without having a round in the chamber; most people know that, so movie makers are only pandering to the lowest common denominator . . . they should quit doing that, as holding the hand of the uneducated results in insulting the intelligence of the educated.

Then I think they failed, as only an idiot would threaten someone without having a round in the chamber; most people know that, so movie makers are only pandering to the lowest common denominator . . . they should quit doing that, as holding the hand of the uneducated results in insulting the intelligence of the educated.
I guarantee that firearm handling is not even close to an important takeaway from entertainment fiction.

What’s far more important is that it has the potential to be morally instructive and culturally relevant. Heroes are displayed with desired, acceptable, or even just common qualities, and their flaws don’t destroy their ability to do great things despite presenting a struggle. Villains are either the converse of this (having many of the same desirable qualities but misapplying them for evil purposes) or the opposite (having sharply contrasting, undesirable qualities). Just this contrast of “be like this guy, not this guy” is enough to speak to people on a very basic, visceral, foundational level.

Furthermore, it’s very common in real life to threaten with a weapon that is empty, not ready for use, non-functional, fake, or just not backed up by a serious intention to actually use it. Many armed robberies end with nobody getting hurt for this reason.

I’d also disagree with the notion that a typical moviegoing or book-reading audience is intimately familiar with firearm function, or cares enough to see improper use as a major annoyance. Just the outward, surface-level appearance of having an object of power is enough to serve a narrative purpose and convey the writer’s intentions. In other words, the shorthand for “Now I mean business” is generally workable and can be used to great effect when combined with solid acting, camera work, sound, musical cues, and editing, even if the scene isn’t mechanically or logically sound. In fact, people in the audience catching a mistake like this can add to the idea that the bad guy is very, very good at intimidating other people if he can do it with a gun that to the audience is obviously not ready to be fired.

Or, depending on other circumstances and elements, it could just be a case of poor writing and direction. Not always though.

In the middle of Kim Stanley Robinson's The Ministry for the Future.
Just received David Weber/Thomas Pope's A Call to Insurrection, the fourth book of the Manticore Ascendant series

Also posted in the thread “What are you listening to.” The audiobook “The Man From St. Petersburg,” by Ken Follett. Thoroughly enjoyable book that would be classified as “Historical Fiction.” In that category, I would also recomment “The Last Kingdom,” which is the first book in a series.

Currently reading "Term Limits" by Vince Flynn on my Kindle...

Great series of books, they only get better as you go. If you like listening to books, try Audible.com . . . listen to all the ones narrated by George Guidall, starting with American Assassin, George Guidall is the perfect voice for Mitch Rapp, though Term Limits doesn’t have Mitch Rapp.

Just finished the audio book of The Three Body Problem, by Cixin Liu. I enjoyed the book, but for me the performance of the reader was a huge negative. Curious if anyone else has listened to it and what their reactions were.

Star Trek Psychology, The Mental Frontier by, Chris Gore It is a great Christmas Gift my daughter sent me. I am really enjoying it, The author used some development psychology from Erickson to flesh out Spok's development as a Vulcan and Human in the last chapter I read.

Having never read any of the Percy Jackson books in my youth, I’ve got the complete set on my iPad. The prose is beautifully simple, Percy is witty, the characterizations are fun and clever, the chapter titles are hilarious, and the project is just about perfect thus far. Why did I sleep on these?
And whatever you do, don't, under any circumstances, not even under threat of torture and death, watch the movies.
The books are a delight, the movies are a "Crime against humanity".

And whatever you do, don't, under any circumstances, not even under threat of torture and death, watch the movies.
The books are a delight, the movies are a "Crime against humanity".
I actually have a personal rule that I see the movie before reading the book. An impressive movie will yield a more enjoyable reading experience, but an impressive book will (usually) yield an unsatisfying movie adaptation.

I ignored this rule on this one occasion, since everyone seem to hate the films and Riordan himself has disowned them.

Listening to The Wheel of Time with Rosamund Pike narrating. It is far superior to the books as narrated by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer. Hope they reissue all the books with Rosamund Pike narrating.

One thing I have always wondered, why is it that every time the Forsaken are thrown out of the Pattern, they always have their knowledge through thousands of years of existence, but when the Dragon Reborn (Lews Therin Telamon) is thrown out, he is totally ignorant of everything and has to relearn how to channel.

Latest posts

Back