What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I love everything Heinlein has written. TCWWTW has characters from other Heinlein novels. If you haven't already done so I would suggest reading Methuselah's Children, Time Enough for Love, and The Number of the Beast, as they introduce characters used in The Cat Who Walked Through Walls.

Best -- Terry
Meh. Once Heinlein decided he would be a Great Author I sort of lost interest.

Tech 68

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I love everything Heinlein has written. TCWWTW has characters from other Heinlein novels. If you haven't already done so I would suggest reading Methuselah's Children, Time Enough for Love, and The Number of the Beast, as they introduce characters used in The Cat Who Walked Through Walls.

Best -- Terry
Thank you...
I'll give those a go. I "bogged down" and never finished "Stranger In A Strange Land". The early ones were easy... "Starship Troopers" & "Orphans Of The Sky".

ewomack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
1614735869440.png

I've read all 24 previous volumes (Cleveland has only 1 volume) - I'm finally entering the 20th century.

boomtube-mk2

Reaction score
I'm about a half-inch into "Walkaway" by Cory Doctorow. So far, it's about a high tech distopian world, where most "stuff" can be had by making it in a printer. The world seems to mostly be run by "zettas" (people with 10^21 dollars or more). They are in charge because they are the only ones paying taxes. Most of the laws are written for their benefit, because they are the ones paying taxes. A daughter of one of the zillionaires and two of her friends leave it all behing and go "walkaway". They end up in a place where personal possesions don't really have much meaning, and since the society isn't based on who has what or how much, a lot of their ideas are turned upside down. Then the walkaways discover how to beat death. It looks like it's going to get really interesting from here.
Try and find a copy of Damon Knight's "A is For Anything" aka "The People Maker". It's about the world after an inventor sends out thousands of copies of a machine that can duplicate anything.

Chaos ensues.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Purchased Kindle editions of
Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test to reread for the first time since the 70's
The entire set (5 books) of Larry Niven's Fleet Of Worlds precedes Ringworld by about 200 years.

Antares JS

Reaction score
An RPG book called "Shadows of Esteren." I might propose playing it to my group when our current campaign is over.

skaffgeorge04

Reaction score
Rereading Dan Simmons's Ilium and Olympos.Anyone who's really deep into science fiction should read these two.This guy is fantastic, his Hyperion won the Hugo award for the Best Science Fiction Novel.Absolutely brilliant stuff.ILIUM and OLYMPOS are both around 400 page novels but I finished them both in about three and a half days.Really engrossing stuff, I couldn't put any of them down.He's right up there with true literary giants, like Asimov and Herbert.