What are you reading?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Good at some things
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Another bookstore find. Originally $25, on sale at $10, scored by me for $3. 😁

Some fun for Christmas day. Build a cardboard Saturn V model 5 feet 3 inches tall!
Curious to know if it's any good. Please report back!

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This just turned up in the mail, for my Christmas/Holiday reading:
View attachment 442849
Now you've done it; you've fallen into the Research trap! You ain't never getting out; as my mentor and good friend Jim says, the Research bug bites deep and can't be removed. :) Besides, the author is ugly and his momma dresses him funny. ;)

Best -- Terry
PS: ECP concentrates on the PBAN binder system, but use whatever your mentor recommends. Most workers use the HTPB system, as it is far more versatile and doesn't require heat during curing (if using a modified MDI type of curative).

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
Just finished reading the original Dragonlance Chronicles (for the first time) and now getting back into The Expanse with the third book, Abbadon's Gate.

I ended up reading Dragonlance because I listened to a metal album inspired by the series and wanted to know what the songs were about. Turned out to be a good decision as I appreciate the album that much more.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now you've done it; you've fallen into the Research trap! You ain't never getting out; as my mentor and good friend Jim says, the Research bug bites deep and can't be removed. :) Besides, the author is ugly and his momma dresses him funny. ;)

Best -- Terry
PS: ECP concentrates on the PBAN binder system, but use whatever your mentor recommends. Most workers use the HTPB system, as it is far more versatile and doesn't require heat during curing (if using a modified MDI type of curative).
😂
Unfortunately the laws around this stuff in Oz are a bit limiting. There is almost nobody here doing it. I prefer to use the commercial motors and spend my time on airframes and electronics anyway. I got it just to expand my mental horizons. Knowledge might come in handy if the university team I am mentoring ever goes down the research motor route too.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One of my Christmas gifts, the sequel to The Call.

Read it in a day over two sittings. Great book, but read The Call first.

9781910989654.jpg

hball55

Reaction score
Just finished listening to book 13 and final book of The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell, and having withdrawals. Previously listened to the entire Sharpe’s Rifles series, also by Bernard Cornwell, and the Warlord series (King Arthur). Cornwell can write excellent historical fiction, and Jonathan Keeble (Warlord Series) is a perfect narrator.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Got a gift card for Amazon for Christmas. Just received the order. Next week I'll be reading some Dashiel Hammet; The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, and Return of the Thin Man. For some reason, they sent me two of each. Will return. I also got Peter Hamilton's Salvation and Salvation Lost.

This is not the first time they've sent me a duplicate order. Last time, I think it was Raymond Chandler books. Why they do this is a mystery.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
A lot of what I read is fiction (OK, 99% is science fiction). I found a good web site that gives a brief bio of fiction authors, plus a bibliography and brief summary of each book (a lot of the summaries are copied from the book's dust jacket, but some are insightful).

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got a gift card for Amazon for Christmas. Just received the order. Next week I'll be reading some Dashiel Hammet; The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, and Return of the Thin Man. For some reason, they sent me two of each. Will return. I also got Peter Hamilton's Salvation and Salvation Lost.

This is not the first time they've sent me a duplicate order. Last time, I think it was Raymond Chandler books. Why they do this is a mystery.
I got my dad the full set of The Thin Man movies. They’re hilarious. I should probably get the books too. I know I have the Maltese Falcon somewhere.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished Experimental Composite Propellant. Not a bad read 😉. Great exposure of the methods and idiosyncrasies of making some propellant. Glad I got it.

Now I have to figure what to read next. A trip to the second-hand bookshop up the road might be a useful foray after my covid isolation ends.

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Addict
Reaction score
Autobiography of a Yogi- lots of BS "miracles", India- mind control , wishy-washy, religious, delusional crap.

QFactor

L2 - NAR & TRA
Reaction score
Just finished Experimental Composite Propellant. Not a bad read 😉. Great exposure of the methods and idiosyncrasies of making some propellant. Glad I got it.

Now I have to figure what to read next. A trip to the second-hand bookshop up the road might be a useful foray after my covid isolation ends.
I just started reading the Propellant manual. The Safety section is very inspiring . . .

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
Just finished Ready Player Two, not as good as the first, and I was not very happy about how Act I went, as I do not think the characters would have behaved that way.
Also just finished Yes Chef, the Marcus Samuelson Memoir. Marcus Samuelson is a superstar in the Culinary world and as a former chef he is the equivalent of George Clooney. On a side note, I met him yesterday.
1610377209957.png

ewomack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
1610404596654.png

I've just barely peeked in and I can't wait to dive into it completely...

Donnager

Reaction score
Just finished Ready Player Two, not as good as the first, and I was not very happy about how Act I went, as I do not think the characters would have behaved that way.
You're not the only one dissappointed. Ready Player One was gold. Ready Player Two turned the heroes into A-holes. I doubt there's going to be a Ready Player 3.

RocketGeekInFL

Reaction score
One of my all time favorite reads! I am really excited about the movie coming out soon. It supposedly follows the book much more than that atrocity that David Lynch put out several years back.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
That sounds really interesting. Somewhere I've got a book that was given to me, about an A-6 crew in the first Gulf War. I think I'll dig it out and put it at the top of the reading pile.

tomsteve

Reaction score
written by the drummer from the band rush, neal pearts 19 yo daughter died in a single car accident. 10 months later his wife of 23 years succumbed to cancer. neal said she died of a broken heart.
soon after, he took a 14 month, 55,000 mile ride through north and central america.
the book is a geographical and emotional chronicle of his journey.
peart.jpg