3D Printing What Are You Printing Today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3d printing an entire rocket except body tube for low power fun with the kids.

Attachments

• 8FA3EC72-64B3-4598-A47D-2B9C86DCBB07.jpeg
    8FA3EC72-64B3-4598-A47D-2B9C86DCBB07.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 0
I did something similar.

PXL_20221213_184511292.jpg

These were done in PETG.

PXL_20221213_185443764.jpg

Also printed out some drill guides for shear pins, section connections, etc. As they are only for construction use they are just done in PLA.

For better reference, the 3-piece mounts are going on an existing lower centering ring, and 3 more will go an the opposing ring.

Interesting. I did mine in one piece with a vertical connector, think for a 5" I'm thinking of using this technique on I think I would do the connectors as horizontal around the circumference.

I can't comment on the P1P, but I do like the X1. Nice to have a printer that "just works", especially for color prints. Getting a little more frustrated with the proprietary nature of some things. the 3MF files it creates are not industry standard, so you won't be able to open them in other tools, you will have to save models as STL's which will remove many Bambu specific things (part coloring, history, etc...). We are relying on them for bug fixes since some things like the firmware are not open source. I have an outstanding 'bug' that's driving me crazy that's in their backlog, but they've labeled it a 'feature'...

I have two AMS's, and, as long you are picky about the filament you put in, they work great. I've had 5-day color prints with 6000+ color changes work without any intervention.

Much of what I print that isn't color needs a bigger printer though, so make sure the size of it fits your needs
Cool, thanks for the thoughts on it. It sounds like the P1P and X1 have most of the same bones, just the P1P lacks the big touchscreen, outer casing/enclosure & the LIDAR (the pre-order P1Ps also come with a camera, big part fan & LEDs). The lack of LIDAR lets it have a nice textured magnetic build plate though. The AMS is tempting, but I'll need one of their printers first.

The lack of open source firmware is a "hmm" for me. Hopefully that doesn't become too much of an issue. I'm sure someone will figure out how to get Klipper on it eventually anyway. ;)

Anyway, it's definitely tempting.

Interesting. I did mine in one piece with a vertical connector, think for a 5" I'm thinking of using this technique on I think I would do the connectors as horizontal around the circumference.

For this particular build I had to make 3-pieces, as the motor mount these parts are going into was built 5 - 6 years ago before the project was shelved. On two other projects I made one-piece alignment rings.

On my Binder Design Raptor, I repaced all of the centering rings with 3D printed parts.

IMG_9517.JPG

For this particular build I had to make 3-pieces, as the motor mount these parts are going into was built 5 - 6 years ago before the project was shelved. On two other projects I made one-piece alignment rings.

On my Binder Design Raptor, I repaced all of the centering rings with 3D printed parts.

View attachment 550870

This is the same thing I have started doing to lock fins in place.

Just finished building the printer a few hours ago and ran off a couple of tests so far. Now my boy wants a little boat. I am absolutely impressed with the prusa printer! The instructions have been the best I've ever seen in my life!
Ken

Attachments

• 1676064146746672507649036447036.jpg
    1676064146746672507649036447036.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Just finished building the printer a few hours ago and ran off a couple of tests so far. Now my boy wants a little boat. I am absolutely impressed with the prusa printer! The instructions have been the best I've ever seen in my life!
Ken
You will never regret building one yourself. I have built 6 Minis (two for other people) and 7 Mk3S (4 for other people), and 2 MMUs (for other people). The instructions are easy to follow as long as you reach each step fully before you pounce. I am not mechanically inclined, and I get each kit done perfect the first time every time.

Big CONGRATS! There are so many things you can print for rockets, all your hobbies, games, around the house, the roads... anything! Wahoo!

PETG and rockets go well together. Amazon makes it too easy - 2 clicks, and it shows up the next day. I'm waiting for the drone delivery in hours!

Nothing, until I figure out my current problem with the printer.

Won't deposit filament. At all. Doesn't even seem to come out, but I can tell Octoprint to extrude 15mm and I get spaghetti. /sigh

My Ender has a jam. I am going to use my resin printers to print some collet clips.

Designed and printed a replacement palm brush handle for the kitchen scrubber. The original was an ANVIX and the tabs broke off pretty quickly so... This is hollow and holds dish soap. Printed with clear PETG (thats what was in the printer already). It's probably too big but it has a nice grip.

palm brush handle.JPG

Just going to keep trying stuff for a while since I'm so new to this, but got a BT60 Goblin (AO) nosecone going now. PETG.

Got a bunch of BT60 laying around, so why not. Will be a fun one to fly.

Was supposed to be a pair of motor adapters. I'm so horribly new to this, but I suspect my bed temp was a bit low and one tipped over, then all hell broke loose. Adjust (raft, higher temp) and try again!

IMG_20230415_061552987.jpg

Back